The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Class Divide at Edinburgh?

I have been told that people like myself who went to a Comprehensive school are looked down on at Edinburgh by many people. Is this at all true? As I am from a very working class background. Also I am English, and I heard the Scottish are not to fond of the English, how true is this? Thank you very much, Ryan :smile:
Original post by Ryan_95
I have been told that people like myself who went to a Comprehensive school are looked down on at Edinburgh by many people. Is this at all true? As I am from a very working class background. Also I am English, and I heard the Scottish are not to fond of the English, how true is this? Thank you very much, Ryan :smile:

Not something I've ever come across. People who go around stating they're very working class drive me up the wall though, so I'd go easy on that (and I'm comp educated). Edinburgh's full of English people - maybe look into the city and institution a little more before applying?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Not something I've ever come across. People who go around stating they're very working class drive me up the wall though, so I'd go easy on that (and I'm comp educated). Edinburgh's full of English people - maybe look into the city and institution a little more before applying?

Edinburgh itself is amazing but I'm unsure as too the actual Uni. Looking at student satisfaction it is very low.
Original post by Ryan_95
Edinburgh itself is amazing but I'm unsure as too the actual Uni. Looking at student satisfaction it is very low.

Something discussed at length here - you may want to browse the subforum. Students come to Edinburgh expecting it to be an Oxbridge of the north and are surprised when it isn't. That combined with the fact that some other universities fix their satisfaction scores, and that students at poorer universities tend to be more satisfied because they're less demanding, make satisfaction scores pretty worthless.
Reply 4
Oh please, most unis will have that group of people who proclaim themselves 'upper class' and go fox-hunting on weekends. Just avoid the rahs. But as the poster said above, class rarely matters, nor is it easily distinguished. I honestly don't know what kind of schools my friends went to and it doesn't matter to me. What does get me however is when people have a go at my educational background, or spout some anti-private school vitriol.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Porter
Oh please, most unis will have that group of people who proclaim themselves 'upper class' and go fox-hunting on weekends. Just avoid the rahs. But as the poster said above, class rarely matters, nor is it easily distinguished. I honestly don't know what kind of schools my friends went to and it doesn't matter to me. What does get me however is when people have a go at my educational background, or spout some anti-private school vitriol.

Ok aha! I am only going off what I've been told. I've only recently been looking at Edinburgh. Basically my firm choice is Stirling Uni which I need BBC to get into my Accounting course (At A-Level) but hopefully I'll get ABB or AAB. DO you think I stand a reasonably good chance of getting in through the adjusting process? Thankyou!
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Something discussed at length here - you may want to browse the subforum. Students come to Edinburgh expecting it to be an Oxbridge of the north and are surprised when it isn't. That combined with the fact that some other universities fix their satisfaction scores, and that students at poorer universities tend to be more satisfied because they're less demanding, make satisfaction scores pretty worthless.

What do you mean when you say people are surprised when it is "not an oxbridge"?
Original post by rumbles_ubamba
What do you mean when you say people are surprised when it is "not an oxbridge"?

Some people come under the illusion that they will get lots of attention, have plenty of one on one tutorials, write essays regularly, etc. When they don't get that, they're surprised.
I have to nix the 'Scots hate the English thing' - I'm Scottish and most of my friends from uni are English. It's ridiculous - people are people, regardless of where they come from. Trust me, if we disliked every English person on the campus, we'd be disliking literally half the people there
Reply 9
Original post by cherrycola67
I have to nix the 'Scots hate the English thing' - I'm Scottish and most of my friends from uni are English. It's ridiculous - people are people, regardless of where they come from. Trust me, if we disliked every English person on the campus, we'd be disliking literally half the people there

What about those of us who don't like the English? When will our voices be heard?
Reply 10
Original post by Ryan_95

I have had literally no problems being English in Scotland. Edinburgh has a lot of posh people studying there - it has loads of regular people as well. Obviously the majority of students are middle class because that's the nature of universities in the UK. I've never seen much snobbery and any snobs that exist you can just avoid because it's a huge university in the middle of a capital city!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending