The Student Room Group

Best societies to join at uni?

Im thinking of joining the Somali society as im somali:tongue:

Possibly basketball and cookery (to learn). How many can you join and are these societies short term or longterm. Are they worth joining?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I joined boxing because it's good fun and had the best social life, well equal to rugby. Dance and cheerleading were the most popular for girls and too, had the better social aspects.

It depends what you want to gain out of it.
You can join as many as you have time for, and whilst they're intended as a long term thing, some people do drop societies as time goes on. Others are heavily involved throughout their degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Before I went to uni, my friend advised me to join two societies and go to them religiously. Didn't exactly listen, joined 3 and only actually been to 1 properly - but going to every single event from that soc was the best decision I made all yet. Made so many friends and had a great time!

I joined the Modern Languages, Dance and Anglo-Japanese societies. AJS was the one I stuck with, MLS didn't really offer anything fun and Dance was too cliquey for my liking.
Just pick societies that you think would be interesting,maybe try some taster sessions during Fresher's? :smile: The athletic union societies seem to be very drinking based but others aren't as much if it's not something you're interested in.
Reply 4
Just join societies that interest you. I'm not saying you will, but there's no point joining some (that you aren't really bothered about) because you feel you have to.
I'm part of the physics society, LGBTQ, the Doctor Who society and I'm on the committee for archery and a queer choir...

You can do as much or as little as you want.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm part of the physics society, LGBTQ, the Doctor Who society and I'm on the committee for archery and a queer choir...

You can do as much or as little as you want.

Doctor who society? Hehe what do u do there :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
Doctor who society? Hehe what do u do there :0

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talk about Doctor Who of course. Watch episodes. Geek out.
Reply 8
Join anything you have an interest in and go to the first few sessions/socials!

I started out by going to 6 and managed to narrow it down to 2, I now go to just them and love it! But they aren't things I would have thought about joining initially.
Just picked up a leaflet and went :P
Reply 9
i can only join 1 :frown: they all run at the same time on same week :frown:
Reply 10
The uni I'm planning to go to has a Football manager society. There's one society I'm definitely joining
apparently there's some japanese society so I might join that.. or join the film society..

im not sure. I dunno how updated my uni's website is..
Reply 12
Champagne Society.
I'm not too sure what societies my university do; I think they do a history society so I may join that as I love history and its part of my foundation year! I'll have a look during freshers fortnight :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many societies is the average person in?
Reply 15
I was looking through my uni's societies and found 10+ that I want to join. I have some narrowing down to do xD
Reply 16
Bullingdon Club.
Reply 17
Original post by orcprocess
Bullingdon Club.

Are you in it or do you plan to join? :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by NedStark
How many societies is the average person in?

Probably one or two plus their subject soc.
Reply 19
Original post by SaFa1237
Are you in it or do you plan to join? :tongue:

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending