The Student Room Group

Question about clearing

This is just something I'm curious about, not sure if its an obvious answer.

Say if someone met their conditional offer for their firm/insurance choice, and so held an unconditional offer as of results day. Could they then decide to apply for clearing places if they decided they wanted to do a different course or go to a different uni. I know that there is adjustment but as far as I know thats just for people who exceed their offer requirements.

Big thanks to anyone who answers:smile:
So long as you hold an offer, clearing won't be available to you (i.e. you won't be able to access the part of the website for clearing). You would first have to let go of your existing offer, and then go into clearing.

If it did come to that, you'd be able to look at the list of clearing courses, call up and get a place with the clearing course, then call up your existing offer and get rid of that one, and finally confirm the clearing place using the clearing number you get for not having any offers.
BUT.

And you need to think really carefully about all of this.

1. Not all Unis put courses into Clearing. Not all subjects go into Clearing. Those that do are usually the 'lower' Universities and/or unpopular or obscure courses. You will therefore not have the choice of all courses at all Unis.

2. It can take days to get a Firm Uni to release you. By which time all the 'good' stuff has gone.

3. Even if you do find something you want in Clearing there is no guarantee that that Uni will want you - remember they still have to see you PS etc before they make a final decision.

4. There will be no chance for a Uni visit etc before making a decision. You could get there and hate it.

5. Clearing applicants are the last in the queue for accommodation. You may have to find your own room/flat from a private landlord and that is almost impossible to do from a distance.

6. If you've changed your mind about both 'subject' and 'Uni' you are probably better off cancelling your application asap after Results Day and applying next year. This gives you time to go to Open Days etc, and make an application to all possible Unis and with known grades.
Reply 3
Thank you both :biggrin:

I'm not actually planning on doing this though, was genuinely just curious as got thinking about what would happen if the worst happens and I end up in clearing etc... and my mind wandered to if you could be competing with people swapping courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending