The Student Room Group

Couple questions, starting in 2014. (Physics)

I have just received my 2nd year results (78% avg.) & am waiting to start my 3rd and final year in September. After this I would like to do my post-grad at an alternate Uni like Imperial (recommendations welcome), my questions are as follows:

1) As I would be starting in 2014 what would be a wise date to have my applications handed in by?

2) Is UKPass mandatory and/or useful? Or can you just apply to each university directly through their website?

3) As I understand it I need to write a personal statement and get 2 references? Aside from the requirements listed by the university I am applying to is there anything crucial I am missing?

4) Are bursaries/financial packages something to apply for in conjunction with the university application itself?

5) Does each application cost? How much? How many universities would you recommend applying to?

thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Get the applications in as soon as possible. I submitted mine the day after they opened for 2013/2014.

You apply directly to each via their website

Personal statements + reference # depends on the programme. Using the documents, you should build a profile about yourself to maximise your chances of getting accepted. Use referees that can provide info relevant to the courses you want to undertake etc.

Scholarships are typically part of the application.

Some unis charge for application. It should be something like 50gbp.

Apply to all of the places that interest you. Apply to school which are competitive, and ones which are easier to get to but still of a satisfactory standard based on your academic performance.
Reply 2
Original post by gmpttt

Personal statements + reference # depends on the programme. Using the documents, you should build a profile about yourself to maximise your chances of getting accepted. Use referees that can provide info relevant to the courses you want to undertake etc.

What exactly do you mean by build a profile? You have your personal statement + referees, how exactly does that transform into a profile? Any reading material you can link that helped you produce your personal statement + profile?

EDIT: One more question, when do the application dates typically open, I read that your final year project is one of the things that will help decide if you have potential for entry, however you don't finish your project until well into the final year so how exactly can you include this in there? Or do the applications open up near the end of final year?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
You dont really build a profile. What I meant was that you should use all of those documents to portray a particular story about yourself; one that caters to the requirements of the course.

Applications open differently for each uni. Check on their website. Some open early in the year, while others later. Often you will send your application, and receive a conditional offer which states that you will be accepted if you attain a specific result/grade.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Ok, well thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending