The Student Room Group

Female travelling alone in Australia in October 2013 - HELPPP

Hi,

I'm hoping to go travelling to Australlia in around October time, but am after more information, was wondering if anyone could help me...

I'm thinking of going with OzIntro, as this seems to be a good way to meet new people, anyone been with OzIntro before and know what it is like? Or been with Bunac, Gap 360, STA Travel or any other companies?

Also, I'd rather not work and just travel along the east coast (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Whitsundays, Cairns) and was wondering the best way to get about? Train? Greyhound Bus? Campervan?

Also, money, how much roughly would you need if you wern't going to work?

Is anyone else looking to do the same as me, would love to get in touch and meet some new people before I go, would be so much less scary!

Thanks guys,

Mollie:smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm hoping to go to Australia next year once A-levels are done.

Will keep watch of this thread and see how you progress.
I was going to go around mid October, not sure where yet though, just did Sydney for a month last time I went (2009). I booked through STA, but all those coach packages seem stupidly overpriced.
My sister left for Australia in March '12, and is still there. Whilst I can't answer the money questions, I know she just went by herself (well, + boyfriend) and not through a company. They stayed in hostels, and they made friends that way. She's now on her own out there since the relationship went to sh*t, and she's still doing the whole hostels thing for friends. She found the best way to travel around was by having her own vehicle, and she's driven down through Sydney to Melbourne in it. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm thinking of hiring a campervan or using greyhound buses to get around.

Also, I'm thinking of working for a month to save enough money then travelling for three months along the east coast.

Do you guys think its worth going with OzIntro or just going alone?

Hey,

Due to my friend possibly bailing out on me, I may be doing the exact same thing! I will keep a look out on this thread and see how you get on, but if all goes ahead.. I'd be very happy to meet you & we can chill together for a bit!
Reply 6
Original post by theragingwaters
Hey,

Due to my friend possibly bailing out on me, I may be doing the exact same thing! I will keep a look out on this thread and see how you get on, but if all goes ahead.. I'd be very happy to meet you & we can chill together for a bit!

Hey,

When are you thinking of going and how long for?

Are you planning on going on a WHV?

Would be cool to get in touch!

Mollie :smile:
Original post by mbennett
Hey,

When are you thinking of going and how long for?

Are you planning on going on a WHV?

Would be cool to get in touch!

My original dates before my friend bailed out were to go from mid auguest to christmas starting in the US > AUS > Asia 6 weeks in each. But.. now she has backed out I am not sure what to do! I may go for a little less time and miss out america and just focus on Aus & Asia :-) maybe 6 weeks in each!?

Also sorry may be being stupid - not sure what a WHV is :-(!

Definitely up for getting in touch with anyone who will be doing it solo too!

Alice :smile: x
Reply 8
Original post by theragingwaters
My original dates before my friend bailed out were to go from mid auguest to christmas starting in the US > AUS > Asia 6 weeks in each. But.. now she has backed out I am not sure what to do! I may go for a little less time and miss out america and just focus on Aus & Asia :-) maybe 6 weeks in each!?

Also sorry may be being stupid - not sure what a WHV is :-(!

Definitely up for getting in touch with anyone who will be doing it solo too!

Alice :smile: x

Its working holiday visa.

I'm planning on heading to Oz in October, working for a month, then going up the East Coast and leaving Cairns in March time to move onto Asia.

Haven't looked into Asia in much detail yet but want to finish in Thailand at the end of June, so a couple months out there.

Are you planning on working or just travelling?

Reply 9
Try the Oz Experience youll meet lotd of new young people and its very flexible in how its run :smile:
Hey guys! I am off to aus in mid October, and due to unreliable 'friends' ill be alone too! I'm pretty nervous as I'm quite shy, never planned to go this alone so it would be awesome to meet with you! Where and when are you flying from? Grace xx
Reply 11
Original post by Graceinnewquay
Hey guys! I am off to aus in mid October, and due to unreliable 'friends' ill be alone too! I'm pretty nervous as I'm quite shy, never planned to go this alone so it would be awesome to meet with you! Where and when are you flying from? Grace xx

Hey,

Where are you flying to and what are your plans?

Nothing is booked as yet but am definitely going to be going. My original date was 20th October (flights seemed to be cheapest then, around £510- £550 one way). Going to go on a working holiday visa. Planning to be there for around six months before moving on to Malaysia.
Originally I was going to fly from heathrow to Brisbane then make my way down to Melbourne where I'd fly out although as my plans with friends fell through I am open to a change of plan! have you booked anything yet? Xx
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey,

Where are you flying to and what are your plans?

Do you use facebook? Maybe it's easier to message on that? :smile: xx
Reply 14
Original post by Graceinnewquay
Do you use facebook? Maybe it's easier to message on that? :smile: xx

Hey Grace,

Yeah, add me on Facebook and we'll talk on there.

My Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/mollie.bennett.10

:biggrin:
Reply 15
Hey Grace,

Yeah, add me on Facebook and we'll talk on there.

My Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/mollie.bennett.10

:biggrin:

Well, in that case i might join you lot :wink:
Right well I'm booked as of today. Fly to New Zealand September 14th, then spend about a month there then will book a flight to Brisbane mid October, work my way down the coast to Sydney and fly home on 19th November.
Reply 17
Hi,

Im planning on going out the 16th October it looks like at the minute also alone due to unreliable friends!

Would be good to have a chat and maybe all meet up somehow!!

xx
heyyy sorry to hijack the thread but im thinking of going to AUS for a month in October too! only 3-4 weeks as its holiday time from work - however still unsure as may leave it till next year and do a proper travelling stint.

im so very jealous of you lot going for 6 months plus!

x
Heyyy im planning on going to Austruila in october on the working holiday visa im going solo and have no real plan preetty open to ideas! Would be great to start chatting with some other people that are doing the same thing!! Im sending my visa off today so hopefully il get it back next week :-) soooo excited,

Amber xxxx

Latest