The Student Room Group

Do you think security guards are selective about who they monitor?

I say this because I saw these two tall dudes wearing track suits running out the shop with stuff, laughing as they were doing it. The security guard was a lot shorter and he didn't even make an attempt at chasing them across the car-park. He looked pathetic and impotent as a guard.

It made me wonder, do security guards pick and chose who they watch or are suspicious of based on whether he thinks will make his job easier? That means the real bad guys get away with it more?

If so, that's not very ethical.
Reply 1
I think they weigh up their targets based upon situational and societal stereotypes. If I were a security guard, I wouldn't be paying a huge deal of attention to the old couple in the corner but rather the group of hoodies at the sweet's section. That said, it isn't fair to judge upon appearance, though when it comes to security it tends to help.

In your situation, it sounds like your security guard was just lazy.
Reply 2
I don't think about security guards at all. That is probably because I am not trying steal stuff.
Original post by ckingalt
I don't think about security guards at all. That is probably because I am not trying steal stuff.

Do American security Guards carry guns? Cos I would be particularly worried about one who had a 45 Magnum in his pants.
Reply 4
Original post by nimrodstower
Do American security Guards carry guns? Cos I would be particularly worried about one who had a 45 Magnum in his pants.

No. Some locations at high risk, such as banks or jewelry stores will hire off duty police and they will be armed. The security guards at a regular mall or stores don't carry guns though. In most states they could legally do so however. I suspect the companies they work for do not allow them to for liability reasons.
Original post by ckingalt
No. Some locations at high risk, such as banks or jewelry stores will hire off duty police and they will be armed. The security guards at a regular mall or stores don't carry guns though. In most states they could legally do so however. I suspect the companies they work for do not allow them to for liability reasons.

Right, sometimes I get the impression, from what we hear, that everyone is walking around waiting for a shoot out at the O.K. corral. Nice to know one could go shopping in relative calm. Thanks for the reply.
Reply 6
Probably, but I wouldn't know
Reply 7
Sometimes they are over zealous and some of them are mad with power. I've seen it often.
Hi, Security Guard here..

There are several factors we take into consideration when it comes to monitoring Shoplifters, but Shoplifters can be the local old lady that may seem innocent.

Typically we note behaviour of individuals, overly on-edge types, or overly confident (In larger stores this can be a little difficult), How people are dressed, their "Vibe" (Long serving Police Officers and Security Officers will know what this means by "Vibe" it's like a sixth sense which is often correct.)

Our job isn't exactly meant to "Ethical" generally Repeat offenders dress quite similarly or fit a stereotype.

Also a lot of City/Towns have a Civic Control System, which is a City/Town CCTV Operation System which monitors people on Shop/Pub watch and notifies Shops/Pub/Clubs on Trouble makers coming towards their direction.
Reply 9
Original post by Tim2341
I say this because I saw these two tall dudes wearing track suits running out the shop with stuff, laughing as they were doing it. The security guard was a lot shorter and he didn't even make an attempt at chasing them across the car-park. He looked pathetic and impotent as a guard.

It made me wonder, do security guards pick and chose who they watch or are suspicious of based on whether he thinks will make his job easier? That means the real bad guys get away with it more?

If so, that's not very ethical.

Where I used to work security guards wouldn't chase people. If they saw someone acting suspicious in the shop they'd keep an eye on them, maybe say something over the radio (in code) so a shop assistant could go and politely ask what they were after. To many had had needles etc pulled on them when chasing for them to consider chasing after someone; no-one wants to risk getting HIV over a £50 t-shirt.

If someone ran with produce and they were certain of it, an immediate call would go out over a radio that was connected to all the shops in the area, the central security hub and the local police station, with a description of the person. The person could then, in an ideal world, be tracked and dealt with safely, or at least stopped from going in anywhere else that day without being caught.

People would of course be slightly profiled. The guy in the tatty hoody pulled up over his head would have a closer eye kept on him than the old lady with the grandkids, that's just common sense. Of course anyone can be a shoplifter, but there's certain things that just correlate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending