The Student Room Group

album or albums that changed music

for me it has to be my beautiful dark twisted fantasy this album is incredible from the production to the features and to the lyrics as well, it is one of the best album of all time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Interested to know how MBDTF changed music.

Anyway:

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico

Arguably the most influential album of all time, the instrumentals used to recreate the experience of Heroin along with Reed's lyrics is brilliant and probably my favourite part of the album.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

This album is partly responsible for all of the great 70s progressive rock such as Pink Floyd / Yes / Genesis / ELP etc etc. You are doing yourself a massive disservice if you like any of the bands mentioned and have never heard this or any other of King Crimson's output, imo they are the best band of all time.

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

Although heavy sampling was done before this album, I don't think any other artist or group did it quite as well as the Beastie Boys.

Death - Scream Bloody Gore

Again, not the first of its kind. Possessed released 'Seven Churches' two years before this but this was the far more influential (and better imo) release, this truly got death metal moving.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

The first true metal album imo, from the very first track. If you even like metal just a little bit and haven't heard this album then you probably should have. It's also the early beginnings of doom metal.

Black Flag - Damaged

Although I prefer their work before Rollins and I feel both Bad Brains and Minor Threat are better bands, Black Flag got there first and created a stellar album in 'Damaged'.

Might have got a little carried away but hey, it's 2:53am and I'm bored, so I thought I'd give this thread a real go.
Reply 2
Kid A.

Original post by Betacra

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

Although heavy sampling was done before this album, I don't think any other artist or group did it quite as well as the Beastie Boys.

You picked that for the sampling? I would have favoured Paul's Boutique.
Original post by Betacra

Good post. All of those albums are great too. Nice to see Black Sabbath getting the credit they deserve.

I would like to add:

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Changed Hip-Hop.

David Bowie - Low

Influenced many bands, way ahead of it's time.

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Pretty much single handedly invented ambient music (was going to post Music for Airports but this came out first).

Was going to include a Kraftwerk album but not sure which one.
Reply 4
Original post by electro14
for me it has to be my beautiful dark twisted fantasy

That's a neg right there.
Original post by Rybee
That's a neg right there.

:biggrin:

I really don't know why this album is so highly rated.
Reply 6
Original post by Wilfred Little
:biggrin:

I really don't know why this album is so highly rated.

To be honest, I've never listened to it but I just know that I wont like it. I'll admit to liking Kanye's older music, it was good funky and fresh. But anything around the era after his mum passed away it's just egotistical bull**** that I don't buy into. The arrogance is astounding.
Reply 7
Original post by Plainview
Kid A.

You picked that for the sampling? I would have favoured Paul's Boutique.

Licensed to Ill game first. Both great albums, both important but Licensed to Ill was more influential.
Justin Bieber My World xoxoxoxo
Original post by Rybee
To be honest, I've never listened to it but I just know that I wont like it. I'll admit to liking Kanye's older music, it was good funky and fresh. But anything around the era after his mum passed away it's just egotistical bull**** that I don't buy into. The arrogance is astounding.

He is a cock but if you're listening to his music for the lyrics then you're listening to it for the wrong reasons (not you, but ýknow.) Saying that I had to turn Yeezus off in the end, the lyrics were that annoying.

He is a very good producer but I agree with this review: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/7058/J-Dilla-Donuts/

Dilla's style could be compared to Madlib's, since both were heavily influenced by jazz and both love sampling the most obscure records possible, but its will also remind listeners of Kanye West.

The biggest difference between Dilla and West, though, is that West is all about turning samples into mega hooks and rapping about how goddamn magnificent he is at everything. Dilla, on the other hand, seems perfectly happy remaining in the background letting his beats do the talking. He rapped at times, sure, but it was usually more for fun than selling millions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic,_Vol._2

The album received a great deal of praise. The Phoenix New Times, for example, commented that "(Jay Dee's) production style has been subtly influencing better-recognized producers for years"

Wonder who they meant? :rolleyes:
Agreed with Black Sabbath and Scream Bloody Gore (though for the latter it was probably the first DM full-length - Seven Churches was more thrashy - but some bands had released DM demos as early as 1985 - the Mantas demos aren't really DM, but if you check out Terminal Death and Piekelne Wrota, they had some stuff that was close to pure DM early on). I think a few albums to add to the list (which is already near-exhaustive of albums that truly changed music, but misses many slightly-less-important-but-still-seminal albums) are:

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew [1970]

220px-Bitches_brew.jpg

Although Ornette Coleman claimed to have defined The Shape of Jazz to Come as early as 1959, the term was not truly embodied until the release of this truly seminal album. Departing in a large way from traditional uses of jazz scales and motif, Davis here built upon the earlier work of himself, Coltrane and Coleman, broke down innumerable boundaries and left the path open for music to go in wonderful and wild new directions.

Listen

John Zorn - Naked City [1990]

Naked+City.png

And this is when jazz just went bat**** insane. Although it's not Zorn's wildest work (for that, you'd consider looking at Grand Guignol or The Crucible), it is the turning point of the genre. Some would argue it's not readily identifiable as jazz any more; and indeed, Wikipedia does have a genre field for it of 'Avant-garde music, grindcore, jazz, rock'. However, many artists from a wide range of musical styles have since been heavily influenced by this album, and it can rightfully be regarded as one of the most influential albums of recent history.

Sample (the full album's not on YT)

Napalm Death - Scum [1987]

NapalmDeathScum.jpg

Many are familiar with the most famous track on this album ('You Suffer', in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's shortest song), but the entire album provided a giant kickstart to the grindcore genre, in so doing also providing a large amount of influence for death metal and future styles of hardcore punk. Influenced heavily by seminal punk and metal bands like Siege, Celtic Frost and Septic Death, the album is famous for pioneering the 'blastbeat' style of drumming. Raw and visceral throughout, yet full to the brim with great riffs and ideas, this is, for me, the best album ever made.

Listen

And while we're talking punk:

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing [1982]

Discharge-hearseesay.jpg

Discharge had already pioneered the d-beat by this stage, but this is their most important release, and the single most important of the whole UK82 movement. Although important albums were also released by The Exploited and The Varukers in the movement, none of them match up in terms of sheer influence to this one. This was a starting point for the entire crust and powerviolence genres (although the latter had a couple of evolutionary steps in between).

Listen (this has about half an hour of bonus tracks from their EPs tacked on the end)

Merzbow - Pulse Demon [1996]

Merzbow-pulsedemon.jpg

Although noise, and indeed Japanese noise in particular, had been going for a few years and about 200 prior Merzbow releases before Masami Akita, the deranged nutter behind Merzbow released this, his magnum opus, this is without question the album which defines the scene. If one looks back to the days of his E-Study, there is little similarity to be found, and this is perhaps the best-known of Merzbow's periods, and this the album which defines that period. Although contemporaries in Masonna and The Gerogerigegege made noise which was perhaps a little more accessible, if it's pure abrasion you're looking for, this is where you can find it.

Sample (full album not on Youtube)

May add more later.
Reply 11
lol at mbdtf, it's a good album but it didn't change music and his older stuff was more comical and refreshing.
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band -The Beatles.

... Nobody had ever he heard anything like it before. It was like a whole concert in an album, with the way it starts especially. 'A day in the life' is probably the greatest Beatles song as well.

I'm sure it was the first ever album with a book that included lyrics to all the songs as well.
Wishbone Ash by ... Wishbone Ash.

One of the first bands, and certainly the first 'major' band, to use a dual lead guitar set up. Now, everyone does it.

Peace in Our Time: Live in Moscow by Big Country.

The recording of the first gig from a western band played in the USSR after the introduction of Glasnost and the beginning of the fall of the Iron Curtain. Admittedly, it's not the album itself that changed music, it's what the album was recording, but still a big deal.
(edited 10 years ago)
MBDTF? :toofunny:

In addition to the above mentioned by Beatlemania and Betacra (especially The Velvet Underground & Nico), I'd also add:

(The forerunners of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

(After redefining folk music, Bob Dylan produced the "holy trinity" of mid-60s electric albums)

Honourable mentions also go to:

and

Reply 15
I think with the Kanye West album, one of the reasons why there was so much hype, was because it was like one of the very few modern hip-hop albums that were relatively experimental, done by somebody famous (I mean Kanye West, Snoop, Jay-Z level of fame, really). Plenty of it was 'alternative' hip-hop, which famous mainstream rappers don't normally bother too much with. People listened to it, and were genuinely surprised, and impressed. Decent music. And you get people so used to listening to crap records with a handful of lame cash-cow singles, that it came across as 'influential'. Perhaps it was. I still think Kanye is a pretentious douchebag, and a lot of his music is essentially meaningless and arrogant, so I just ignore all this ego-fuelling stuff.

To answer the OP, I think the Sgt Pepper album by the Beatles is an obvious shout, along with Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and David Bowie's Low. But I also think for many modern musicians playing right now, one of the most influential bands is Radiohead, and I would guess that both OK Computer and Kid A are their most influential records, although generally, I find different musicians have their own personal favourites, each of their LPs differ enough to split opinion.

edit:
one idea that's just come to me, is that perhaps if I were to be more specific with the question asked by the OP, Radiohead would not be as suitable. Albums that changed music - I think one of the things about Radiohead albums is that for some musicians, they became inspired to change to sound like Radiohead, or at least to approach the art like they did. For other musicians however, they could have been demotivated to try to emulate them, for fear they'd never be able to do what Radiohead do, so perhaps music hasn't changed as much because of them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Come on, The Beatles, despite being excellent, did not change music on EVERY ALBUM. One, maybe two albums should qualify. And Pink Floyd, if they were to change music, did it waaaaaaaaay before Dark Side of the Moon.
massive attack - blue lines.

Wasn't the first trip-hop but certainly made it a prominent genre
Original post by Pride
I think with the Kanye West album, one of the reasons why there was so much hype, was because it was like one of the very few modern hip-hop albums that were relatively experimental, done by somebody famous. Plenty of it was 'alternative' hip-hop, which famous mainstream rappers don't normally bother too much with. People listened to it, and were genuinely surprised, and impressed. Decent music. And you get people so used to listening to crap records with a handful of lame cash-cow singles, that it came across as 'influential'. Perhaps it was. I still think Kanye is a pretentious douchebag, and a lot of his music is essentially meaningless and arrogant, so I just ignore all this ego-fuelling stuff.

I see what you're saying but I don't agree..

People say that album had a fresh sound but Outkast were experimenting in the mainstream consistently for years. The Love Below is a much better album than MBDTF.

And what about ATLiens and Aquemini? How many people who rate MBDTF so highly do you think have heard these two albums in their entirety? They had that unique sound way back in the 90's, as did A Tribe Called Quest. You might be able to argue ATCQ weren't really mainstream but Outkast definitely are. And The Roots of course, they are superb. Donuts wasn't really mainstream but rappers like Drake have used beats from it so that's why I've put it there.

Kanye's good but he's not that unique imo, he might be unique compared to the bubblegum popstars but anyone can find experimental Hip-Hop without really looking that hard.
Reply 19
Original post by Wilfred Little

This album is so sick, Dilla is so underappreciated outside small communities of hip-hop fans.

Quick Reply

Latest