The Student Room Group

Just bought a vauxhall astra 1.6.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by anthonyla65
I'm pretty sure Vauxhall rebrands Opel cars which are German. Nevertheless, I know what you mean. I wouldn't get a Vauxhall myself.

To the OP: For all I know, this car may not have service history or even its first service carried out. Mileage is not everything, a well looked after car with receipts, FSH (full service history) and MOT history is what you should be looking for. Condition, not mileage or age. As said, £6k is a decent amount to be spent on a car and you could get a car with 100k miles that runs smoother than your Astra. However if you were to be after a real drivers car, you wouldn't be buying an Astra anyways so I'm not going to lecture you on how you should've bought a Golf GTI instead etc. But still not the wisest for buying an Astra. There are many decent alternatives.

On a side note, I don't like your attitude. People are not obliged to answer your thread, so don't complain when it has "99 views but only one reply...". Posting a reply like that wouldn't help you or make people reply. Have a nice day.

Original post by Elcano
Technically, it IS a German car... Vauxhall = Opel. ^^

My bad............I recall that Opel sell abroad, thought it was the other way round in terms of owner.
Still wouldn't get one, considering its 6k, for a cheap first car, yeah why not........but 6k rather a Audi A3, vw polo or bmw 1 series, even if its older and with more mileage as long as its been looked after they would be amazing.
Reply 21
Original post by Iqbal007
thought it was the other way round in terms of owner.

:eek:

Well, and though the cars don't have such a great reputation, they're actually not that bad. They're just not very exciting either. ^^
Reply 22
Original post by Elcano

Well, and though the cars don't have such a great reputation, they're actually not that bad. They're just not very exciting either. ^^

Well its cos I rarely hear of Opel, only heard of Holden, etc so thought it was like that.

The old astras, cheap, etc but compared to their rivals seemed filmsy for the outside if you understand.
The newer model, certainly seems more solid, and better looking, center console looks quite nice but a bit overwhelming.
Reply 23
Well its cos I rarely hear of Opel, only heard of Holden, etc so thought it was like that.

The old astras, cheap, etc but compared to their rivals seemed filmsy for the outside if you understand.
The newer model, certainly seems more solid, and better looking, center console looks quite nice but a bit overwhelming.

... I think you meant 'underwhelming'... :wink:

I know what you mean. Still, in Germany Opels are known as more or less reliable (although sometimes with extra stress on the 'less'), but just supremely boring and extremely uncool.

No one has EVER had a 'wow' reaction from his friends upon telling them about having bought an Opel. :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Original post by Elcano
... I think you meant 'underwhelming'... :wink:

I know what you mean. Still, in Germany Opels are known as more or less reliable (although sometimes with extra stress on the 'less'), but just supremely boring and extremely uncool.

No one has EVER had a 'wow' reaction from his friends upon telling them about having bought an Opel. :rolleyes:

I meant the number of unnecessary and confusing buttons.
Reply 25

Ah! Well, the design is still rather underwhelming... ^^
Electric cars aren't that great at the moment...............have a look at the new Honda CRZ, seen very few around, but very nice.

But thats cos your one is the sedan version of the civic for the American market.

Hmm this is what Im getting at. Im waiting for them to be "proven" I guess. I share your same skeptism. I mean I'd love to get 235Mpg out of the car....

I dunno. I always go for high Mpg cars, so I'd be looking at the VW Bluemotion Golf for a small car, or the new Prius for a large car. I'd love to get the Citroen DS5 but it's a Citroen....

Really? Is my car really not meant for the UK market? I mean it wasn't imported or any thing

For me, the MORE technology, the better :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by de_monies
Hmm this is what Im getting at. Im waiting for them to be "proven" I guess. I share your same skeptism. I mean I'd love to get 235Mpg out of the car....

I dunno. I always go for high Mpg cars, so I'd be looking at the VW Bluemotion Golf for a small car, or the new Prius for a large car. I'd love to get the Citroen DS5 but it's a Citroen....

Really? Is my car really not meant for the UK market? I mean it wasn't imported or any thing

For me, the MORE technology, the better :biggrin:

Its surprising, all the new cars on the market give surprisingly very good mpg.........until battery tech is improved, its not going anywhere, its far too costly to run currently.

I'm not sure if it is or not, they might have sold it but at small numbers, but definitely sure that civic version is primarily aimed for the America markets and the hatchback version for Europe.
Hey I also own a 2011 vauxhall astra 1.6 petrol, its very good. Been driving it for around 2 weeks now and had no issues. It has air conditioning, cruise control, cd player, and the interior looks very impressive at night when everything lights up. I got it for £7600 with 12k milage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending