The Student Room Group

Is it worth moving Sixth Form?

Hey everyone,

I currently go to a pretty good local comprehensive school, I've been there since year 7. I've been offered a place at the closest grammar school to where I live. The grammar school has better facilities e.g. a Sixth form center and obviously it has better rankings. The induction day was quite enjoyable and the teachers and other pupils seemed quite friendly. However, the grammar school would take at least 40 minutes by bus to get to from where I live, whilst my current school takes a 20 minute walk at most. Although I am more comfortable in my current school, the facilities and enrichment programs there aren't that great, plus some of the Sixth pupils aren't exactly what you would call...hard-working. The overall atmosphere seems better at the grammar school but the travel time is much longer, and I'm not sure how long it would take for me to fit in since I'd miss my old friends a lot. Is it worth going to the grammar?

Thanks in advance,
Hazel
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends on what you think would be best for you. If you feel that having the enrichment programmes at the grammar school would be beneficial then the extra 20 minutes of travel time could be worth it! If everyone seemed friendly then im sure you would find some new friends and fit in perfectly! Good luck with what decision you make :smile:
Reply 2
It's really your call. Being comfortable is important, but you said that the atmosphere generally is better at the grammar school. And I think how long it would take you to make new friends depends on what kind of person you are. For example, I'm quite an introvert and not really great in social situations.

When I got to Year 12, I left my sixth form - but only for two or three weeks. I went to a good school, which was about 40 minutes from home as well, but the sixth form I moved to was a top one that I honestly didn't expect to get into. It was really friendly there, but I still didn't feel comfortable, plus it was even further away - it took me like an hour and a half to get there. So I went back to my old school.

I guess it depends which of the factors you're thinking about matter most to you: facilities? Friends? Atmosphere? Distance from home?
Original post by hazelandme
Hey everyone,

I currently go to a pretty good local comprehensive school, I've been there since year 7. I've been offered a place at the closest grammar school to where I live. The grammar school has better facilities e.g. a Sixth form center and obviously it has better rankings. The induction day was quite enjoyable and the teachers and other pupils seemed quite friendly. However, the grammar school would take at least 40 minutes by bus to get to from where I live, whilst my current school takes a 20 minute walk at most. Although I am more comfortable in my current school, the facilities and enrichment programs there aren't that great, plus some of the Sixth pupils aren't exactly what you would call...hard-working. The overall atmosphere seems better at the grammar school but the travel time is much longer, and I'm not sure how long it would take for me to fit in since I'd miss my old friends a lot. Is it worth going to the grammar?

Thanks in advance,
Hazel

I would say go to the grammar school, yes it's a longer journey but you will probably come out with better grades at the end of sixth form than if you stay. I regret not trying to go to a grammar school sixth form cause I feel I probably would have done a bit better than I currently am, I'm not doing bad at the moment as I work hard but, I reckon I could have done better elsewhere..

Don't worry about leaving friends behind, you will make new ones so quickly from those people in your classes.

It is obviously best to think where you personally feel you would thrive best though.

If you genuinely think you will do better staying where you are then stay but, don't stay just because you're scared of leaving friends and having to make new ones. That's what I did and I regret it a bit now..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi,

Thanks for all of your replies
I suppose it is just a balance of facilities, enrichment, travel, grades and atmosphere
As for your reply Aa'lshah, I'm an introvert too
But I did talk to some external students during the induction
I suppose I need to think on it longer but I'm swaying towards the grammar

Hazel
Reply 5
I changed, i thought it was the best decision of my life, met new people, learned a lot more than I would have if i stayed. Obviously i missed my old school but you're gonna have to leave at some point.
Reply 6
I think you should change schools, personally. It takes me 1.5 hours to get to my school yet I think its worth it. 40 minutes is not much, it's a good time to relax and listen to music. And A-levels are important so you should be in the best possible environment for it.
Reply 7
Original post by Albino
I changed, i thought it was the best decision of my life, met new people, learned a lot more than I would have if i stayed. Obviously i missed my old school but you're gonna have to leave at some point.

That is true...I had always taken for granted that I was gonna go to my current Sixth Form, but I guess things change
Reply 8
Original post by AparnaX
I think you should change schools, personally. It takes me 1.5 hours to get to my school yet I think its worth it. 40 minutes is not much, it's a good time to relax and listen to music. And A-levels are important so you should be in the best possible environment for it.

That's exactly what I was telling myself a bit earlier :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending