The Student Room Group

Marion Bartoli looks out of shape?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatPerson
If he can make his serve more reliable and improve his return, he'll be in the Top 20 easily.

What about rally skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dean01234
she could undoubtedly do with loosing a few pounds though. I guess that just shows you what leeway there is in the womens game. There is no way that someone who wasn't in great shape could win the mens...

But she just won the most prestigious tournament in tennis and a hefty pay check to go with it. Doubt she cares tbh. :dontknow:
Original post by stefl14
How pedantic. I knew somebody would bring this up. Baghdatis has reached 1 slam final 7 years ago. It's a much more regular occurrence for lower ranked women to reach finals.

Funny how worked up you are about the fact Women get equal pay as if it affects YOU in any way. It's not your money. Why does it matter? They train hard themselves. Its not as if the tickets are cheaper for womens matches so why does it matter to you?
Original post by Sammy Lanka
What about rally skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It comes with experience, plus he is only 22. I'm not saying that he will definitely become a good player, but he has the potential to do so in 4 years.
Reply 64
Original post by ThatPerson
Since when are all young players hopeless? Tomic? Janowicz?

Well so far they are. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of both Tomic and JJ, but playing well in one tournament doesn't really make them future GS winners. They have to constantly keep up this level of consistently and performance to come out of my list of hopeless young players.

Dimitrov and Ranoic on the other hand are definitely worthless though.
Original post by discotheque
They are overpaid because they get more money than they need or deserve for hitting a ball. I'm not a marxist, but I just feel like someone's wages should reflect how useful their profession is. So yes, it is entertaining but the only reason they earn millions as a pose to those who play tennis in their gardens is because they do it as a profession. But why should they earn so damn much when the money could have a more useful purpose?

Because people watch tennis on TV, buy tickets for matches etc.
Reply 66
Original post by Manchester United
You can simplify anything. I bet you say football is just kicking a ball around, or boxing is just punching someone. I also bet you're one of those 'why are footballers earning X amount, and soldiers only earning Y amount' type of people.

You need to understand that pay is not (and should not) be determined on how useful a profession is, it's based on supply and demand. The supply of top quality athletes is low, and the demand is extremely high, hence high salaries/bonuses/prize money. It's really not hard to understand.

It's refreshing to see someone with an iota of economic logic. People advocating the sort of subjective value pay here don't understand how much worse off we'd all be if pay were determined that way.
Original post by Roger1
Well so far they are. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of both Tomic and JJ, but playing well in one tournament doesn't really make them future GS winners. They have to constantly keep up this level of consistently and performance to come out of my list of hopeless young players.

Dimitrov and Ranoic on the other hand are definitely worthless though.

From your comments about dimitrov I can guess you are not female :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Sir Phillip Jones
Funny how worked up you are about the fact Women get equal pay as if it affects YOU in any way. It's not your money. Why does it matter? They train hard themselves. Its not as if the tickets are cheaper for womens matches so why does it matter to you?

It is my money. I pay for TV and tickets. People like me subsidise the women's game.
Reply 69
Original post by stefl14
Only in women's tennis do people seeded so low get into the final. Facts are facts. Flame all you want, but female tennis players really do look out of shape alarmingly often.

Your post contradicts itself. Obviously you think them being out of shape is the reason that lower seeds can get in, but the point is Bartoli herself is out of shape...
Original post by stefl14
It is my money. I pay for TV and tickets. People like me subsidise the women's game.

If you are concerned stop paying

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was some top notch upskirt action as she climbed up into the crowd and some of us are moaning about her physique?

There's just no pleasing some people.
Reply 72
Original post by discotheque
They are overpaid because they get more money than they need or deserve for hitting a ball. I'm not a marxist, but I just feel like someone's wages should reflect how useful their profession is. So yes, it is entertaining but the only reason they earn millions as a pose to those who play tennis in their gardens is because they do it as a profession. But why should they earn so damn much when the money could have a more useful purpose?

They work bloody hard for their money and (the men at least) deserve every penny.

Someone who plays recreationally in the garden would do well to return a shot from a pro.
Reply 73
From your comments about dimitrov I can guess you are not female :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No sir, I'm definitely not a female. :smile:

But I like Dimitrov too as he plays somewhat like my ultimate favourite player, but so far he has done absolutely nothing on the big stage to strike me as a future GS winner.
Reply 74
If you are concerned stop paying

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the type of garbage response that doesn't deserve a counter-response.
Original post by Roger1
No sir, I'm definitely not a female. :smile:

But I like Dimitrov too as he plays somewhat like my ultimate favourite player, but so far he has done absolutely nothing on the big stage to strike me as a future GS winner.

Couldn't agree more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raiden10
She's not "out of shape". She's a strong, homegrown Frenchwoman. She does things her own way and it works for her. Clearly.

It worked for her because of the poor state of women's tennis.
Reply 77
Original post by danny111
Your post contradicts itself. Obviously you think them being out of shape is the reason that lower seeds can get in, but the point is Bartoli herself is out of shape...

No that was not my point at all. My OP was a bit rant like so you obviously mis-interpreted.
Original post by stefl14
This is the type of garbage response that doesn't deserve a counter-response.

Actually it's a fair comment. If you don't want to pay for anything then don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Actually it's a fair comment. If you don't want to pay for anything then don't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really he wants to support the mens game and not subsidise the womens.

Quick Reply

Latest