The Student Room Group

UKCAT 2014 Entry -- Scores Poll

Poll

What was your average UKCAT subsection score? (2014 ENTRY)

Hi guys, we had one of these last year and I think it was handy in keeping track of the averages people are getting and hence what might happen to the cut-offs.

Please be honest and don't go sticking ridiculously high scores when you've failed -- this resource might be handy for you in the future so try not to ruin it!

Also see the official UKCAT discussion thread for 2014 entry here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356

Scroll to see replies

Bumped :smile:
Reply 2
People seem to be doing great so far. :smile:
Reply 3
Is the UKCAT test actually hard and how do you know what the answers are as some of the questions have answers which are really similar and so I don't know which answers right,and is the pass mark really low as I will probably do bad in it tbh but I need it for dentistry !!
Original post by omgomgomg!
Is the UKCAT test actually hard and how do you know what the answers are as some of the questions have answers which are really similar and so I don't know which answers right,and is the pass mark really low as I will probably do bad in it tbh but I need it for dentistry !!

That's the trick, you need to be sharp and exclude the bad answers at least. Sometimes it takes too long and you do have to guess between the sensible answers, but, especially with QR, it's best to have a very good mental arithmetic.
Original post by SiMan
People seem to be doing great so far. :smile:

I'd take the >800 group with a pinch of salt :P
Reply 6
Original post by MJK91
I'd take the >800 group with a pinch of salt :P

If only there was a way to see who votes. Last time there were GCSE students in the >800 section.
Original post by SiMan
If only there was a way to see who votes. Last time there were GCSE students in the >800 section.

I'm yet to see an 800 average on the thread so I doubt it's true! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by omgomgomg!

Don't panic! I went into the UKCAT QR section knowing that I couldn't do the maths in the time they gave me. I managed to take the time to work out five or six of the QR questions, and I guessed the rest. I got 720.

Remember that the score you are given for each section isn't simply calculated based on how many you get right. Your mark is compared to the marks of the students who sat the test in the first year it was available (2006), and you're given a final score based on how you compare to them. That means that you don't need to get full marks to get the top score - you just need to do as well as the best achieving candidate in 2006.

:smile:
Collated the scores from TSR and NMM below. Ignore the colour scheme, that's for my benefit! (for the record I'm #4 but the rest are anonymous!)
So far the scores all round are very high. Yes there will be some TSR-high-achiever bias and some early resitters from last year, but ultimately the scores are much higher than last year so the cut-offs will likely soar this year. I wouldn't be surprised, for GEM at least, to see SJT become a vital part (i.e. Band 1 only maybe?).

ukcat scores.png
Reply 10
What if you get an average score thats inbetween the categories on the poll? I.e 703 :confused:
Original post by Becca_j
What if you get an average score thats inbetween the categories on the poll? I.e 703 :confused:

Yep I made an error with the poll, but unfortunately can't change it haha. Well done on the score!
Reply 12
Original post by MJK91
Collated the scores from TSR and NMM below. Ignore the colour scheme, that's for my benefit! (for the record I'm #4 but the rest are anonymous!)
So far the scores all round are very high. Yes there will be some TSR-high-achiever bias and some early resitters from last year, but ultimately the scores are much higher than last year so the cut-offs will likely soar this year. I wouldn't be surprised, for GEM at least, to see SJT become a vital part (i.e. Band 1 only maybe?).

ukcat scores.png

Tbh, I don't think it's likely that the cut offs will soar this year. There are 19 people who have filled this in so far - it's not exactly a representative sample, is it? Also, remember that the people who are likely to fill this in are those who have got good results that they can be proud of, and that those who take their tests this early will be those who are most confident..

In 2012, the average score was 2515. Less than 1% of candidates gained an average of 800+ for each section. However, 25431 people took the test, so 1% is still 254 people. Which means that we could have 250 people fill in this as 800+, and we wouldn't be able to conclude that results were better this year than last year.

Also, people lie. The Ukcat I sat definitely wasn't easier than the practice questions, so I don't think it was easier than last year. There's no reason to think that cut offs will soar this year.

Reference for the stats - http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT_Guide_13_Updated.pdf (page 43)
Reply 13
Original post by MJK91
Yep I made an error with the poll, but unfortunately can't change it haha. Well done on the score!

haha ok and thanks :smile:
Reply 14
i just did my ukcat this morning.
it went well overall but VR was way lower than the others.
Do most unis just look at the total or average or do you have to get a certain amount in each one? i think somewhere i read last year imperial you had to get 640 in each but not sure if i'm right!
Also, I got band 3 in the situational judgement. do unis actually use these? i tried emailing - imperial said they wont use it but no response from the others.
im looking at applying to imperial, barts and kings (probably graduate programs).
i got:
VR 620
QR 750
AR 840
DA 860
Total is 3070

if any one knows anything on what they are looking for from asking at open days or what they needed last year it would be really helpful for my decision of where to apply!

Thanks so much!

Original post by nix112005
i just did my ukcat this morning.
it went well overall but VR was way lower than the others.
Do most unis just look at the total or average or do you have to get a certain amount in each one? i think somewhere i read last year imperial you had to get 640 in each but not sure if i'm right!
Also, I got band 3 in the situational judgement. do unis actually use these? i tried emailing - imperial said they wont use it but no response from the others.
im looking at applying to imperial, barts and kings (probably graduate programs).
i got:
VR 620
QR 750
AR 840
DA 860
Total is 3070

if any one knows anything on what they are looking for from asking at open days or what they needed last year it would be really helpful for my decision of where to apply!

Thanks so much!

Look at Leicester your UKCAT will score full marks if they use the same system as last year. Kings is a good shout though. Look into Manchester and Newcastle too :smile: There is a whole world outside of London. Just to confirm for undergrda Imperial do not use the UKCAT they won't even find out your score.
SOME BETTER NEWS PEOPLE!

I have been geeking out tonight and I've done a lot of number crunching. I've compared the 2012 Technical Report from Pearson Vue, giving their average scores in the test for 2012 and the deciles, with performance up to the 27/07 in 2012 and 2013. I've attached the table below. Essentially in 2012 people on TSR performed, on average, 77 points better in the UKCAT than the general population. This year, its 96.

That means, due to DA mostly, it is harder this year than previously. HOWEVER, not by as much as you might think. Whereas last year the average score was 706 by this point, we currently have an average of 724. Remember that the actual average from UKCAT was 629, a huge difference! If people were getting interviews around the 700 mark, it's obvious that TSR massively overachieve compared to the general population.

I hope this helps comfort some of you, it sure comforted me! It basically means that we're the cream of the crop, and we are applying against people far worse. It also confirms the population bias theory.

2012vs2013vstechreport.png
Reply 17
Has anyone received a letter from the UKCAT people telling them that their DA was weighted wrongly? Mine has therefore been "adjusted" and the DA section has gone down by 30. Whilst this only brings the average down by 7.5 points, it's still somewhat annoying. My average is 830 now from 837.5 so I hope it won't make a huge difference to my application, but if anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it!
Original post by Koerling
Has anyone received a letter from the UKCAT people telling them that their DA was weighted wrongly? Mine has therefore been "adjusted" and the DA section has gone down by 30. Whilst this only brings the average down by 7.5 points, it's still somewhat annoying. My average is 830 now from 837.5 so I hope it won't make a huge difference to my application, but if anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it!

You got away lightly, some people were reduced by 90 or so points on DA. You're obviously going to be fine with an 800+ score anyway.
Original post by MJK91
SOME BETTER NEWS PEOPLE!

I have been geeking out tonight and I've done a lot of number crunching. I've compared the 2012 Technical Report from Pearson Vue, giving their average scores in the test for 2012 and the deciles, with performance up to the 27/07 in 2012 and 2013. I've attached the table below. Essentially in 2012 people on TSR performed, on average, 77 points better in the UKCAT than the general population. This year, its 96.

That means, due to DA mostly, it is harder this year than previously. HOWEVER, not by as much as you might think. Whereas last year the average score was 706 by this point, we currently have an average of 724. Remember that the actual average from UKCAT was 629, a huge difference! If people were getting interviews around the 700 mark, it's obvious that TSR massively overachieve compared to the general population.

I hope this helps comfort some of you, it sure comforted me! It basically means that we're the cream of the crop, and we are applying against people far worse. It also confirms the population bias theory.

2012vs2013vstechreport.png

So would you guesstimate that if I subtract 25ish points off of my score that would give me the equivalent score to last year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending