The Student Room Group

Unoriginal research for MA dissertation

Does the topic have to be very original? What if one saw 2 theses on the internet and thought, aha, this is good.

Then rip both of them off for your own dissertation.

Just to clarify, this isn't cheating in the sense of a copy and paste job, it's more a case of "pointless" research because it's already pretty much done before and you're just going through the motions and carrying them out.

Will that be ok? Not expecting brilliant marks or anything.
Reply 1
Why are you doing an MA if you're not interested in the subject?
Original post by thisistheend
Does the topic have to be very original? What if one saw 2 theses on the internet and thought, aha, this is good.

Just to clarify, this isn't cheating in the sense of a copy and paste job, it's more a case of "pointless" research because it's already pretty much done before and you're just going through the motions and carrying them out.

No you'll just get done for plagiarism. They're even stricter at postgraduate. If you can't be bothered why not save yourself the hassle and get a job instead?
Reply 3
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
No you'll just get done for plagiarism. They're even stricter at postgraduate. If you can't be bothered why not save yourself the hassle and get a job instead?

Well, is there some sort of acceptable boundary of how similar a study is to another?

Like I said, it involves "doing something" research , so some things will be inevitably different, but there's only so much stuff to talk about that one thing in the field of interest that doesn't turn hackneyed.
Reply 4
Original post by thisistheend

If I've understood what you're considering, this is a massively dangerous strategy. This would be seen as plagiarism. Universities are much less sympathetic with plagiarism at post graduate level as it is expected you know what plagiarism is and how to avoid it....

Also it would mean that you would not be awarded your degree and make it unlikely you could register elsewhere. also a spotlight would be shone on your undergraduate degree and this would likely be investigated ..

Just don't...!!

Why are you doing a degree you have so little interest in??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 5
Original post by gustavus
If I've understood what you're considering, this is a massively dangerous strategy. This would be seen as plagiarism. Universities are much less sympathetic with plagiarism at post graduate level as it is expected you know what plagiarism is and how to avoid it....

Also it would mean that you would not be awarded your degree and make it unlikely you could register elsewhere. also a spotlight would be shone on your undergraduate degree and this would likely be investigated ..

Just don't...!!

Why are you doing a degree you have so little interest in??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It's my job, I'm a ghostwriter that "helps" other students for their coursework essays, or over the summer a dissertation.

I'm a 2-bit washed up graduate that wasted their life at uni but has enough cleverness and skill to study and write essays even on subjects I've never studied before. Some day, when I have enough savings, I'll go back to uni and do the subject I loved for my BA for another year or two and be part of the student life again.

Afterall, what's to it, I've already essentially done a Master's this year at a prestigious university. Just for someone else to collect their award... I prefer to think of my pay now as "scholarship money" for the future.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending