The Student Room Group

Petrified..because i'm re-taking GCSE Maths and Science...

Hey guys!! Well..i'm just really worried right now and need some reassurance. I'm currently in year 12 and shall be going into year 13 next year. Next year i'm re-taking my maths and all 3 science's (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) GCSE. Because when I did them the first time around I did pretty bad.. I need C's but I ended up with D's..

For university obviously most courses want atleast a Grade C in English, Maths and Science GCSE. And that applies to the course I want to do which is primary school teaching. So, i've had a word with the head of my sixth form and he said he'll put me in for all 3 Science GCSE and Maths. The exams won't be until next June I don't think or, it could be January i'm not sure.

The thing is, them subjects..i'm actually terrible at and I was lucky to get D's in them. Honestly. So i'm really dreading re-taking because i'm scared I won't pass and that will jeopardize my place into a university. Would it be best if I started revising and asking for help etc now? And do you know any websites which will help me besides Bitesize?

Thanks.. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bratterz_xoxo
Hey guys!! Well..i'm just really worried right now and need some reassurance. I'm currently in year 12 and shall be going into year 13 next year. Next year i'm re-taking my maths and all 3 science's (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) GCSE. Because when I did them the first time around I did pretty bad.. I need C's but I ended up with D's..

For university obviously most courses want atleast a Grade C in English, Maths and Science GCSE. And that applies to the course I want to do which is primary school teaching. So, i've had a word with the head of my sixth form and he said he'll put me in for all 3 Science GCSE and Maths. The exams won't be until next June I don't think or, it could be January i'm not sure.

The thing is, them subjects..i'm actually terrible at and I was lucky to get D's in them. Honestly. So i'm really dreading re-taking because i'm scared I won't pass and that will jeopardize my place into a university. Would it be best if I started revising and asking for help etc now? And do you know any websites which will help me besides Bitesize?

The CGP guides were always good for GCSE science. They weren't as good for AS level.
Reply 2
Original post by audi_turbo
The CGP guides were always good for GCSE science. They weren't as good for AS level.

Okay thanks :smile:
Reply 3

You could ask to be entered for Maths in November (maybe science)

Khan Academy is a good site

But you may need to consider personal tutors
I dont think you need C in all but in maths you do need atleast a C i am on the same boat as you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
You could ask to be entered for Maths in November (maybe science)

Khan Academy is a good site

But you may need to consider personal tutors

Thankyou :smile: I'll check that site out! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Mohammad Ryan
I dont think you need C in all but in maths you do need atleast a C i am on the same boat as you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thankgod! I honestly though I was the only one :frown: It's not a nice situation because i'm constantly worrying about it -.-" Made me feel a little better that it's not just me :smile:

they won't be in janaury for certain as all January exams have been scrapped including GCSE and A-levels.
To revise for science use mygcsescience YouTube channel it helped me get an A* in science so trust me on that one !
For maths you can use a site called my maths I will let you use my username and password if you message me :smile: and there's this site also you can use which has recent past papers and mark schemes and video tutorials of how to answer the exam papers here's the link http://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/
I have a online version of the CGP GCSE maths exam pratice workbook and I will sent you my account details so that you can log on to the site and access it,it includes step by step videos to answering questions from the two mock exams that come with the book so its extremely useful.

I will send you all the log in details and links for all of the above resources if you just quote me asking for them :smile:
Reply 8
Whether that's a specific entry requirement for the primary school teaching course/route, you will certainly need the C in Maths GCSE but I'm not sure on whether you would need the Science. Have you done some research into the universities/courses that you are interested in doing and do they say that you require the Science and Maths along with the English of course?
Reply 9
Original post by IMRUBBISHATJAVA
they won't be in janaury for certain as all January exams have been scrapped including GCSE and A-levels.
To revise for science use mygcsescience YouTube channel it helped me get an A* in science so trust me on that one !
For maths you can use a site called my maths I will let you use my username and password if you message me :smile: and there's this site also you can use which has recent past papers and mark schemes and video tutorials of how to answer the exam papers here's the link http://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/
I have a online version of the CGP GCSE maths exam pratice workbook and I will sent you my account details so that you can log on to the site and access it,it includes step by step videos to answering questions from the two mock exams that come with the book so its extremely useful.

I will send you all the log in details and links for all of the above resources if you just quote me asking for them :smile:

Awwwh thankyou very much!!! It means alot :biggrin:
Original post by Luke070
Whether that's a specific entry requirement for the primary school teaching course/route, you will certainly need the C in Maths GCSE but I'm not sure on whether you would need the Science. Have you done some research into the universities/courses that you are interested in doing and do they say that you require the Science and Maths along with the English of course?

Yes I have done and all have said that I need Science, English and Maths at grade C or above :frown:
Yes I have done and all have said that I need Science, English and Maths at grade C or above :frown:

Stop panicking you have nearly a year to revise for these exams and all you need to do is get a C its not like you need 100000 A* so put in to perspective you will realise its not as difficult as it seems and the fact that you got a D last time means oh only need to improve my one whole grade which is easy as your 99.9% guaranteed to do better this time round :smile:
Stop panicking you have nearly a year to revise for these exams and all you need to do is get a C its not like you need 100000 A* so put in to perspective you will realise its not as difficult as it seems and the fact that you got a D last time means oh only need to improve my one whole grade which is easy as your 99.9% guaranteed to do better this time round :smile:

Yeah I know I do :smile: but it's just worrying that maybe I won't pass again or something.. and that's true..a C is 60% I think ^_^
Reply 13

The earlier you get cracking, the better :smile:
Are you gonna be getting teaching next year for these? Also do you need all three sciences for primary teaching?

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/faqs/applying/basic-requirements.aspx

According, to this it just says 'A GCSE (or standard equivalent) in a science subject if you want to teach primary or key stages 2/3' - to me that reads as though one GCSE would be enough. You might be able to get away with just doing one GCSE rather than all three. Probably best to check with the unis you're applying to what they'll accept. Doing 3 science GCSEs seems like a lot of hassle if you only need one.

As others have said, Khan academy can be useful - it's not tailored to any one exam though.

If you can at least make a start over the summer revising the basics (see if you can get hold of some past papers so you can find out what you do/don't know then go from there.

The CGP workbooks for GCSE Maths/Science might be worth getting as well so you've got stuff to practice with in the meantime.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by -G-a-v-
The earlier you get cracking, the better :smile:
Are you gonna be getting teaching next year for these? Also do you need all three sciences for primary teaching?

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/faqs/applying/basic-requirements.aspx

According, to this it just says 'A GCSE (or standard equivalent) in a science subject if you want to teach primary or key stages 2/3' - to me that reads as though one GCSE would be enough. You might be able to get away with just doing one GCSE rather than all three. Probably best to check with the unis you're applying to what they'll accept. Doing 3 science GCSEs seems like a lot of hassle if you only need one.

As others have said, Khan academy can be useful - it's not tailored to any one exam though.

If you can at least make a start over the summer revising the basics (see if you can get hold of some past papers so you can find out what you do/don't know then go from there.

The CGP workbooks for GCSE Maths/Science might be worth getting as well so you've got stuff to practice with in the meantime.

Good luck :smile:

Yeah, i've decided i'll start revising now then on Monday i'll have a word with the head of college to discuss what i'm being put in for etc :smile: And yeah, i'm definitely going have to check out this Khan Academy :smile: And i'll get some past papers etc like you said for over the summer ^_^

Thanks very much for the help! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Yeah, i've decided i'll start revising now then on Monday i'll have a word with the head of college to discuss what i'm being put in for etc :smile: And yeah, i'm definitely going have to check out this Khan Academy :smile: And i'll get some past papers etc like you said for over the summer ^_^

Thanks very much for the help! :biggrin:

No worries - also, try and stay positive about it all. If you go into it with the mindset that you're going to fail, you'll be less likely to succeed. You'll probably find that you know more than you think, even with the year away.

Ultimately, you're going to be teaching maths and science for a lot of your career if you become a primary teacher, you'll need to drum some enthusiasm up for them from somewhere. :p:

Also, being from Stoke ftw :biggrin:
Original post by -G-a-v-
No worries - also, try and stay positive about it all. If you go into it with the mindset that you're going to fail, you'll be less likely to succeed. You'll probably find that you know more than you think, even with the year away.

Ultimately, you're going to be teaching maths and science for a lot of your career if you become a primary teacher, you'll need to drum some enthusiasm up for them from somewhere. :p:

Also, being from Stoke ftw :biggrin:

Yeah i'll try! Because in all honesty i'm not a very positive person so i'm going to have to try and be positive this time around :smile: And that's a good point!!
And exactly! So i'm going have to get learning :biggrin:
And omg! Just noticed you're from here too ;D woo ;D ahaha
Yeah I know I do :smile: but it's just worrying that maybe I won't pass again or something.. and that's true..a C is 60% I think ^_^

Yeh it is but in terms of actual marks its less than 60% so you probably need around 55% to get the C good luck :wink: x
Yeh it is but in terms of actual marks its less than 60% so you probably need around 55% to get the C good luck :wink: x

Ooooh! Is it! I never knew that! It's made me feel slightly better knowing that now.. ahaha :3
And thankyou! :biggrin:
Ooooh! Is it! I never knew that! It's made me feel slightly better knowing that now.. ahaha :3
And thankyou! :biggrin:

Yeh it is because for the edexcel maths course if you are doing higher papers then you need 63/200 for a C overall which works out as only 31% !!! And for AQA science exams you need around 25/60 for a C which works out as only 41% so its not as difficult as it seems but try your best and if you still font manage it then does it really matter ??
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending