The Student Room Group

Adverts in your brain?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by montstar
It is somewhat similar to brainwashing in a way, people are not aware that they will be played adverts and then suddenly they hear a voice in their head without consenting or opting in. Seems like it should at least have a notice on the window. There's also the fact that people often sleep when they rest their head, this could prevent them from sleeping (restricting the rights of their body), or perhaps if they were already asleep, it would play in their head while sleeping... subliminal messaging anyone?

Those were my exact thoughts when I first read it -it's like the companies are taking over our minds and trying to force us to think about their products that they sell. Like indoctrinating us.
I don't like where this is leading:scary:
Original post by Mr plumby
If 'go compare' get involved :angry:

:lol:

Surprisingly their latest 2 adverts have been somewhat mild and calm.

People must've complained :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by Spontogical

They stopped the singing at least. Now if they eradicate the singing man altogether finally I'll be able to peacefully watch TV again.
Is there absolutely nowhere to go if one wishes to escape the plagues of advertising?

I'm planning a move to a cave in the highlands within the next ten years if this is going to become standard.
Uh oh, better start wearing tin foil hats.
Reply 46
Original post by paddlesnap
Is there absolutely nowhere to go if one wishes to escape the plagues of advertising?

I'm planning a move to a cave in the highlands within the next ten years if this is going to become standard.

I'll be close behind you...
Reply 47
Original post by thunder_chunky
Uh oh, better start wearing tin foil hats.

Good idea - they'll never get to us then!
Reply 48
Um I not sure if I'm reading a different article, but from what I read it seems that they are not infiltrating our brains. They're simply broadcasting it to out ears though vibration, it is no different to an intercom system except you can chose to listen if you want.
Original post by Spontogical

But I found it funny when he got sucked into the black hole. 'Go compare' adverts are boring now.
At the rate adverts are going, in 20 years time they will have stuffed bears with tv screens advertising this or that product.
Reply 51
Original post by CrimsonAuthor111
At the rate adverts are going, in 20 years time they will have stuffed bears with tv screens advertising this or that product.

They'll be everywhere. Soon we will live in a world where adverts take over. They are already - you only have to take a walk into the middle of any town and you'll probably count at least 10 adverts in the first minute.
Reply 52
personaly i would pefer visual adverts like the ones the have in citys like new york and tokyo on the side of buildings
if they put some on the train that just played the ads i would probarly watch them , i think alot would as long as they were mute they wouldnt be annoying
and if you have ever sat in a hospital waiting room or a boring aunts house you would know the tv ads suddnly become alot more interesting , i imagine it would be the same on a train journey
and it would be a better way to advertise
(edited 10 years ago)
This is definitely violation of privacy. Plus nobody wants to hear adverts such as go compare or PPI rubbish going through their heads after a long day, all you want to do is just sleep!

Bad, bad idea, hope it's never introduced to Britain.
Reply 54
Reminds me of that Futurama episode where Fry gets an advert for Lightspeed Briefs beamed into his mind when he's sleeping:

Reply 55
Original post by Kiss
Reminds me of that Futurama episode where Fry gets an advert for Lightspeed Briefs beamed into his mind when he's sleeping:

Haha scary thing is it's no longer just a cartoon! It's almost real!
Original post by Dualcore
Um I not sure if I'm reading a different article, but from what I read it seems that they are not infiltrating our brains. They're simply broadcasting it to out ears though vibration, it is no different to an intercom system except you can chose to listen if you want.

This.

It's not on about transmitting adverts into your brain :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
I don't know how they'd make it non-compulsory though. They probably wouldn't be willing to switch them off. And yeah it would ruin train commutes altogether.

Well presumably they'd have to do it with the permission of the people who make &/or run the trains. If said people think their business will suffer from these things, they won't put them in, simple as really.

That said I'm not really sure what to think of the idea... it's...odd to say the least, but it doesn't seem particularly evil or what have you - you still make the choice of whether to listen/view the ad at the end of the day, and it's not forced into your brain via your dreams or anything so you can't escape it...
Reply 58
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Well presumably they'd have to do it with the permission of the people who make &/or run the trains. If said people think their business will suffer from these things, they won't put them in, simple as really.

That said I'm not really sure what to think of the idea... it's...odd to say the least, but it doesn't seem particularly evil or what have you - you still make the choice of whether to listen/view the ad at the end of the day, and it's not forced into your brain via your dreams or anything so you can't escape it...

Yeah I know it's optional, but the concept is a little strange. I'd like to see this technology used to help the deaf people - maybe use it so that deaf people know when their stop is approaching or for the blind so they know. It might be really helpful to them. Also it would be good during the morning and day to play music through the windows. You could then choose to listen or not, and it might make the journey nicer. In the evening when people want to sleep it could be switched off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending