The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Computer Science OU starter....Hello!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
So i've signed up, Bsc in Computing and IT, Software Development pathway, start TU100 in October :smile:

The finance part isnt half as confusing as I thought it would be, got an email this morning saying that my app for finance has been recieved and they will notify me of the outcome soon.

Really excited to start this!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Welcome aboard!
Reply 62
Original post by peelie
So i've signed up, Bsc in Computing and IT, Software Development pathway, start TU100 in October :smile:

The finance part isnt half as confusing as I thought it would be, got an email this morning saying that my app for finance has been recieved and they will notify me of the outcome soon.

Really excited to start this!

Congrats! Yeah it's quite straight forward once you read through it all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Anyone know if it's possible to get a grant/loan so I can buy a laptop as we only have the 1 desktop computer in the house and don't want to be hogging it all the time :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by mug2k
Anyone know if it's possible to get a grant/loan so I can buy a laptop as we only have the 1 desktop computer in the house and don't want to be hogging it all the time :smile:

I have enquired about this and they said to re apply in September for some reason. I need a new laptop too as my current one turns itself off when it's had enough lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
My digital life (TU100)
Starts: 5 October 2013
Credits: 60

Discovering mathematics (MU123)
Starts: 1 February 2014
Credits: 30

Technologies in practice (TM129)

60 credits in October and 2x 30 credit modules in February sound ok ?, I work from home and it isn't time consuming at all so I have plenty of spare time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
I think it's okey coz I been reading a lot
And as I understand first year shouldn't be too hard so I'm gonna do 120credits first year and see how it goes ... Anyways I can always change it :smile: I'm happy that OU got such a huge flexibility !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
These modules have no sit in exams, correct?

So one could basically finish "Certificate of Higher Education in Computing & IT: Standard pathway" with these modules purely 100% online?

Original post by mug2k
My digital life (TU100)
Starts: 5 October 2013
Credits: 60

Discovering mathematics (MU123)

Technologies in practice (TM129)

60 credits in October and 2x 30 credit modules in February sound ok ?, I work from home and it isn't time consuming at all so I have plenty of spare time.
Reply 68
Hello all!

I'm due to register on either the Comp Sci or Software Development pathway starting this October.

Wish all of you the very best!
Reply 69
Anyone doing TU100, MU123 and TM129 all 120 credits from October to June?
Reply 70
Is anyone else concerned with the fact of once this course starts there will be practically no social life, I don't get to go out that often but I do like having some free time to myself. I was just wondering if anyone else is struggling working out how to balance getting an income, doing 40 hours a week study (for the 3 year course) and not going insane for it.
Hi guys,

I'm starting the BSc computing & IT software development pathway with the OU in October. Just want to get started now!

Anyone getting a new computer for it? I'm getting a Mac mini in a couple of weeks ready for the course. I'm gonna be developing apps for apple in my spare time too.

Look forward to chatting to you all.
Reply 72
Just registered for TU100 and MU123 commencing this October. TM129 in Feb.
Reply 73
Welcome to the thread! Not long till we start now!
Reply 74
Just thought I'd say hi, I'm doing the Computer Science pathway starting next month.

I've just come away from dropping two other degrees though so doing 120 credits a year wont be much of a change for me :lol:

We only need to buy the one book for ourselves this year right? I Robot for TM129?
Reply 75
Maccees, yeah that's the one, I managed to get a hardback copy on amazon for about £5!
Reply 76
Awesome, I'll get a copy ordered then.
Reply 77
Original post by starscream205
Maccees, yeah that's the one, I managed to get a hardback copy on amazon for about £5!

Are you doing all 3 modules 120 credits this year October to June?
Reply 78
What did you guys put in as a course code for student finance? Just come off the phone with them and they said the reason my application isn't progressing is because I need to update it, no idea what to submit though.

Edit: I'm on the Comp Sci pathway.
Reply 79
Original post by Maccees
What did you guys put in as a course code for student finance? Just come off the phone with them and they said the reason my application isn't progressing is because I need to update it, no idea what to submit though.

Edit: I'm on the Comp Sci pathway.

Course codes are TU100, MU123 & TM129

Quick Reply

Latest