The Student Room Group

Where to go for the History I want to do

Hello,
I had chosen my 5 uni choices and stuck by them until it sort of hit me, I shouldn't pick a university because of its location but on the course modules.
I really want to mainly study periods between 490AD - 2000BC (however I really want to do a great deal of study in the Tudor period). I do understand that that some modern history will be involved but I want some modules to be them.
Please help me with universitys to look at. My grades are predicted to be BBC/
Thanks in advance
Original post by Benowen12
I shouldn't pick a university because of its location but on the course modules.

You have just arrived at the really sensible moment in preparing an application to UCAS. Seriously! You would be amazed at how many people dont look at the detailed course content until a week before A level Results, or only realise they have signed up for the 'wrong sort of history' 2 weeks into Uni.

You wont find an undergraduate course totally devoted to Tudor History, so your best bet is to look for one with some Tudor History units within it. One example : http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/StudyHere/Undergraduate/courses/c.asp?courseUrl=historyThere isnt an easy shortcut to this - you will just have to plough through all the course descriptions and look for this.

One way of narrowing the field before you start is to go to www.whatuni.com, enter History as a subject and Search. On the next page you can add your predicted grades as a filter. This will give you a list of Unis that you could realistically apply to with your likely grades. Then start to look at course content/unit descriptions on those Uni websites.

There are a very small number of 'named' degrees that focus on the whole Early Modern period. See http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2013/10064/?course_id=10064 as just one example. But, one word of warning. You may think that Tudor History is the ONLY history you want to study, but this may simply be because you have never studied any other sort of History in depth or that you've have really enjoyed the way a particular teacher taught it, etc etc. Studying any sort of History is VERY different at Uni level than at A level - it isn't just 'more of the same'. And, you will need to study more than just 'Tudor' for an undergraduate degree so think about other areas of history you could get interested in as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
You could always look at joint degrees - Ancient History & History or Medieval History
Are you aware to study as far back as you want, you'd have to pick Ancient History? Most history courses start from around the fall of the Roman Empire (though courses do variate, of course). If you want to study modern too, a joint honours in Ancient History and History is possible. However, you may need to reconsider how much you like modern - you might really like the Tudors, but if that is the only aspect you are interested in (compared to the 2000 years of ancient history you're interested in), is it worth studying modern at all?

I vaguely remember Swansea either offered the joint option or ancient history on its own for around those grades, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending