The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor - 8-12 July

Did you go on the Cambridge Open Days last week but still have questions you would like to ask or came away and remembered the one question you forgot to ask? Alternatively, if you were not able to go but have lots of questions you would like to ask someone at Cambridge then this is the thread for you!

I am the Admissions Tutor at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and will be answering questions posted on this thread between Monday and Friday this week (8-12 July), so, whatever you want to ask about Cambridge or the admissions process, fire away...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think TSR really needs threads like this, so thank you for giving up your time to answer people's questions.
I visited Cambridge University a number of times now but still have many questions:

1. Does getting a bad grade (below B) in a subject that is completely irrelevant to our chosen course put you at a major disadvantage? I'm talking about subjects such as general studies.

2. How do colleges decide who they want to place in the pool?

3. People who apply for very competitive subjects like Veterinary Medicine are expected to get lots of A*'s and A's at GCSE and brilliant AS result, but the Cambridge University website says the entry requirements for this particular subject are:

grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics

AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.

At least one pass must be at A Level

People who meet just these entry requirement don't have a chance to get in, so why are the requirements so low?

4. Do you give any extra credit to people who attended a taster course at Cambridge?

5. If you studied at a really bad secondary schools, is it okay to get a little less A*'s and A's? Will that be taken into consideration?

I know that's quite a lot of questions, so I appreciate your time spent on answering them :smile:
Original post by na_li
I think TSR really needs threads like this, so thank you for giving up your time to answer people's questions.
I visited Cambridge University a number of times now but still have many questions:

1. Does getting a bad grade (below B) in a subject that is completely irrelevant to our chosen course put you at a major disadvantage? I'm talking about subjects such as general studies.

2. How do colleges decide who they want to place in the pool?

3. People who apply for very competitive subjects like Veterinary Medicine are expected to get lots of A*'s and A's at GCSE and brilliant AS result, but the Cambridge University website says the entry requirements for this particular subject are:

grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics

AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.

At least one pass must be at A Level

People who meet just these entry requirement don't have a chance to get in, so why are the requirements so low?

4. Do you give any extra credit to people who attended a taster course at Cambridge?

5. If you studied at a really bad secondary schools, is it okay to get a little less A*'s and A's? Will that be taken into consideration?

I know that's quite a lot of questions, so I appreciate your time spent on answering them :smile:

I'm glad you think that it is useful to have a thread like this - TSR is great and there is lots of good advice on here but I hope it will be helpful for potential applicants to be able to ask an Admissions Tutor in confidence about anything to do with Cambridge.

To answer your questions: 1) General Studies and Critical Thinking A Levels do not figure in our considerations at all. In other subjects which are less relevant to your studies (i.e. a Humanities subject for a science course, though conversely those in the Humanities are very happy with those who present science A Levels) Directors of Studies (DoSs) tend to pay attention to the most relevant subjects. Your average UMS marks for your top 3 and top 4 subjects are produced for us to look at.

2) There are, essentially, four types of applications that are placed in the Pool by colleges. First, there are those which are compulsory pools who have not interviewed well. Compulsory pooling for those in Year 13 is 93% average in the top 3 UMS at AS Level (top 3 Science UMS for Comp Sci, Nat Sci, Engineering and Vet Medicine) except for Mathematics and Medicine, for which there is no compulsory pooling. For those Post A Level or equivalent , the criteria is 3 A*s at A Level; at least 41 points and 776 in Higher Level for IB; three A1 grades at Advanced Highers for those doing Scottish exams (four A1s at Higher in Year 12 will also result in a compulsory pool). Overseas applicants (except in medicine) who score 8.5 out of 10 in their interview must be pooled as well.

Secondly, there are those candidates who did not meet the compulsory pooling criteria but interviewed well.

Thirdly, there are applications where the candidate did meet the compulsory pooling criteria and interviewed well but were squeezed out by the competition for places in that subject in their chosen college.

Fourthly, there are candidates in need of reassessment. Sometimes (rarely) an interview malfunctions in a way that means a candidate should be looked at again. Alternatively, it could be that a candidate splits the interviewers and the Admissions Tutor feels that he/she needs to be looked at again.

3) These are the basic requirements without which you cannot do the subject. Occasionally, one comes across excellent students with very high grades wanting to do Vet Science or Medicine but they are not doing A Level Chemistry or equivalent or are not doing three sciences and therefore are not eligible for the course. Obviously, the vast majority of our candidates for these subjects have very high grades but these minimums are more about ensuring that candidates are taking the right subjects.

4) No. Attending a taster course is, of course, evidence of wider engagement in your chosen subject but this can be done in many different ways and we in no way favour those who have attended taster events at Cambridge - not least because we know that many people simply cannot come to such events.

5) Every candidate's schooling is noted and taken into account. We have information on the performance of your GCSE and A Level schools and can therefore place your performance in the context of your school's performance locally and nationally. Candidates from schools with poor GCSE records are given a 'flag' to ensure that all Admissions Tutors and interviewers are aware of this when making their considerations.

I hope this is helpful and I am conscious that it is a lot of information. Do feel free to come back with further questions.
Why does Cambridge still have 8-week terms - forcing students to cram rather than absorb information - compared with the norm of 10?
Original post by ageshallnot
Why does Cambridge still have 8-week terms - forcing students to cram rather than absorb information - compared with the norm of 10?

Good question. To some extent it is a relic of the past but it does provide significant advantages in a number of areas. It suits our style of supervision teaching very well - 10 weeks of supervisions would be too much. It provides longer vacations during which students can absorb the information they have learned over the past term (as they are expected to work during the vacations). Finally, Cambridge is a research university and shorter terms provides more time for research for lecturers which, in turn, helps students.
Original post by Corpus Admissions
Good question. To some extent it is a relic of the past but it does provide significant advantages in a number of areas. It suits our style of supervision teaching very well - 10 weeks of supervisions would be too much. It provides longer vacations during which students can absorb the information they have learned over the past term (as they are expected to work during the vacations). Finally, Cambridge is a research university and shorter terms provides more time for research for lecturers which, in turn, helps students.

I accept the influence of tradition and research. I don't agree with your point about 10 weeks of supervisions being too much. Firstly, they could be less intense if spread over 10 weeks rather than eight. Secondly, I was fortunate enough to go to university in an age when I was taught in one-to-one supervisions for much of the time - over 10-week terms.
Reply 6
would a student with nearly all C's at GCSE still have a chance, or even be considered if they had improved a lot at A-Level and had all As at AS? (more specifically for natural sciences) :biggrin:

thank you
Original post by ageshallnot
I accept the influence of tradition and research. I don't agree with your point about 10 weeks of supervisions being too much. Firstly, they could be less intense if spread over 10 weeks rather than eight. Secondly, I was fortunate enough to go to university in an age when I was taught in one-to-one supervisions for much of the time - over 10-week terms.

The 8-week system is not perfect, there are pros and cons versus a 10-week system. There isn't any appetite for change in Cambridge though so it is here to stay. I take your point about spreading it over 10 weeks but, knowing the way things work at Cambridge, if we had 10-week terms, it would be 8 weeks' work spread over 10 but just two extra weeks of work on the same level as we do now.

Like, I say, it isn't necessarily perfect but it has considerable advantages for the way we do things and it's not going to change.
Original post by LadyJoka
would a student with nearly all C's at GCSE still have a chance, or even be considered if they had improved a lot at A-Level and had all As at AS? (more specifically for natural sciences) :biggrin:

thank you

Thanks for your question. It is quite rare for a student to improve by that much between GCSE and A Levels without their being significant mitigating circumstances at the time of GCSE. It is by no means unknown, however, for people without a great set of GCSEs to get an offer. What one would wish, however, is to see considerable improvement, high 80s+ UMS average at AS level and a strong performance at interview. Even then, it's tough and you need an Admissions Tutor/DoS willing to take a risk.
Reply 9
I know this isnt admission specific, or even College specific, but it refers to the post-admission procedure so I thought Id still give it a shot.

Once an offer has been made and all conditions satisfied, when do you think is the latest that students generally receive all of the necessary information about their programmes?

On a side note, this thread is a great idea.
Did you go on the Cambridge Open Days last week but still have questions you would like to ask or came away and remembered the one question you forgot to ask? Alternatively, if you were not able to go but have lots of questions you would like to ask someone at Cambridge then this is the thread for you!

I am the Admissions Tutor at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and will be answering questions posted on this thread between Monday and Friday this week (8-12 July), so, whatever you want to ask about Cambridge or the admissions process, fire away...

Hi- Thanks for making this thread! I have a few questions:
I am intending to apply to Cambridge for Law but am thinking about applying for Land Economy as an alternative.

I am currently studying History, Economics, Maths and Geography and am likely to drop Economics. I did very well at GCSE and expect to get 4As at AS level.

1) Would I would be able to use a personal statement that has been written with the view to read Law, to apply for Land Economy at Cambridge?- bearing in mind that no other unis offer Land Economy?

2) What kind of knowledge of the subject Land Economy would I be expected to know during an interview? - bearing in mind that I've never studied Land Economy before!

3) What form would both a law and a land economy interview take?

4) How particular are CAM on getting a 90% average at AS Level? is it a requirement or a cut off level? I believe I'm likely to have only received a 90%+ average in 2 of my AS levels....

5) Which candidates are the most likely to reach the interview stage?

6) To what extent does CAM take into account whether students have gone to a public/private school and how their own results compare to their school/borough's average exam results?

and finally,

7) How do teachers predict 'prediction grades'? Would a candidate only be predicted an A* at A level if they received 90% UMS in that AS level?

Many thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
1) Is there any advantage of doing 4 A2s instead of 3 in terms of getting an offer from Cambridge?
2) Do admissions tutors care about EPQ (if related to the subject)?
Thanks

I am a self-taught student, so I have little info. on applying to university at the moment and I get most of my advice from forums like TSR...so,

I don't understand the UMS consideration. Is it necessary to get more than 90%? Would you disregard a candidate with lower UMS? Say, 80-85%?

And, what effect do extenuating circumstances have on an application? Are lower UMS scores considered due to extenuating circumstances? I have not been to school since the age of 14 due to mental health reasons and I have taught myself all my A levels and GCSEs, but my UMS marks are about 86%...and I see on TSR, people imply that Cambridge won't 'look at' applicants with less than 90%...
Reply 13
I hold a conditional offer to study Philosophy at another Cambridge college and I recently learned that unfortunately I didn't meet the conditions of my offer after exams (offer was IB 40 776 in my HLs, I got (unexpectedly) 38 with 765 in my HLs). I am appealing some of my subjects, but if the grades do not change, do you believe I have any realistic chances of being admitted? Most of the people who I've seen who were accepted even after missing their offer were usually 1 point off from 1 condition, while I am 2 points off both conditions. Secondly, does the fact that I was pooled to my college hinder my chances of acceptance?

Thank you in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gmpttt
I know this isnt admission specific, or even College specific, but it refers to the post-admission procedure so I thought Id still give it a shot.

Once an offer has been made and all conditions satisfied, when do you think is the latest that students generally receive all of the necessary information about their programmes?

On a side note, this thread is a great idea.

Glad you think it is a good idea. I intend to run another Q&A thread the week after A and AS Level results come out.

In answer to your question, it varies from college to college and subject to subject. Providing one meets one's offer, it will have been 'firmed' and made unconditional by the time the A Level results are published. Colleges usually then send a confirmation letter with details of arrangements to do with accommodation etc. later in August. Offer holders are often contacted by their director of studies (DoS) before the results are confirmed but some DoSs prefer to wait until they know exactly who will be coming before contacting them about module choices etc. Basically, by early to mid September all details should be place.
Original post by louisdc
1) Is there any advantage of doing 4 A2s instead of 3 in terms of getting an offer from Cambridge?
2) Do admissions tutors care about EPQ (if related to the subject)?
Thanks

1) It depends a bit on your subject but generally no. In the sciences doing four science A2s (from Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Biology) may be considered an advantage but in the Humanities it does not make a difference and you would only be offered on three A Levels (some Admissions Tutors do make a four A2 offer in the sciences if four A Levels are offered to ensure that applicants do not drop it).

2) EPQ is a very good idea and to be encouraged if students are able and willing to offer it as it gives them a taste of what some of university will be like. It would never form part of one's offer, however, and if a student is not doing one there would be no sense of them being penalised. It is an added extra.
Reply 16
Glad you think it is a good idea. I intend to run another Q&A thread the week after A and AS Level results come out.

In answer to your question, it varies from college to college and subject to subject. Providing one meets one's offer, it will have been 'firmed' and made unconditional by the time the A Level results are published. Colleges usually then send a confirmation letter with details of arrangements to do with accommodation etc. later in August. Offer holders are often contacted by their director of studies (DoS) before the results are confirmed but some DoSs prefer to wait until they know exactly who will be coming before contacting them about module choices etc. Basically, by early to mid September all details should be place.

And for postgrads I presume the procedure is similar? I have a confirmed/satisfied offer, so I guess I am at a stage where I would just wait until August/September for someone from my department to contact me.

Thanks you for the information.
Reply 17
1) It depends a bit on your subject but generally no. In the sciences doing four science A2s (from Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Biology) may be considered an advantage but in the Humanities it does not make a difference and you would only be offered on three A Levels (some Admissions Tutors do make a four A2 offer in the sciences if four A Levels are offered to ensure that applicants do not drop it).

2) EPQ is a very good idea and to be encouraged if students are able and willing to offer it as it gives them a taste of what some of university will be like. It would never form part of one's offer, however, and if a student is not doing one there would be no sense of them being penalised. It is an added extra.

1) So taking maths to A2 is effectively pointless if I want to apply for history? I suppose not taking it would actually be to my advantage because I could focus more on getting an A* in history (and other two subjects)

2) I have completed an EPQ on a historical topic, which is therefore relevant to my desired degree course... in what way would this help my application?

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi, I've heard that most privately educated students receive training on how to approach and be successful at the interview. My son is hoping to go to Cambridge but will not receive this sort of coaching from his 6th form college. Do you think I should look for a tutor for him who can give him this sort of training?
Thanks.
Reply 19
Hello,

I just wanted to stop by and ask whether you could tell me anything about the interview process at Cambridge for those looking to pursue an M.Phil in Philosophy? Oh, and are A Level and GCSE grades looked into at all when it comes to postgraduate applications?

Thanks in advance

(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending