The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Official University of Birmingham

Hi everyone

Welcome to the University of Birmingham's official thread.

So whether you’re set to come and study here in September or you’re only just thinking about applying to University, the team are here to answer your questions about life at Birmingham, the courses we offer, our facilities, accommodation and everything in between.

The University of Birmingham team

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, can I ask if the spaces in the computer science school are expected to be competitive this year, or what the school policy is on missed grades for applicants who have firmed Birmingham?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
When will fresher information be released?

Edit: Lots of info here
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I think I asked this question in the other forum but I noticed the QnA ended?

Anyway, as I mentioned, I could not find a specific building for computer science on the virtual tour map of the campus. Is there a rough gauge on where the computer science block is/ where the computer science (and artificial intelligence, if they're not in the same place!) classes would be held?
Reply 4
Original post by ohhreeohh

Anyway, as I mentioned, I could not find a specific building for computer science on the virtual tour map of the campus. Is there a rough gauge on where the computer science block is/ where the computer science (and artificial intelligence, if they're not in the same place!) classes would be held?

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/university/edgbaston-map.pdf

CS building is close to west gate near the University Station, the building Y9. You will have practical lab sessions and some tutorial classes there. As for lectures, they will be held in the Mechanical Building Y3 where the hall is large enough to seat all students.
Reply 5
So will these questions be answered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ohhreeohh

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/university/edgbaston-map.pdf

Computer science is Y9 which is right next to where the river meets the west gate.

However this will NOT be where your classes are held. The only course in which you will often be in your course's building is medicine, if you're in a course other than medicine your classes will be scattered across the campus in many different completely unrelated buildings. For instance you likely could have a class in the mechanical engineering building and then after that a class in Gisbert Kapp which is about 10 minutes away.
I'm a bit confused on the languages. Can you study just one, or do you have to do at least two?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Coffeetime
I'm a bit confused on the languages. Can you study just one, or do you have to do at least two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can study just one, two, or even three. Read more here.
Hey! Where should I send my evidence of qualification and IELTS? I'm looking forward for your reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
One more question. Could you tell me the deadline until which I have to apply for my tuition fee loan? I'm quite confused because I can't find accurate information related to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ievavysniauska
One more question. Could you tell me the deadline until which I have to apply for my tuition fee loan? I'm quite confused because I can't find accurate information related to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you know you can get the full tuition fee you can leave it till close to te end of the academic year.

I'm considering applying for a business and coms course as my uni have applied my internal tranfer wrong and have no idea whats going on :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I've applied for politics and anthropology joint honours but would like to change to politics and sociology. Should I ring the admissions office now or would it be better to wait until results day?
Reply 13
Original post by vdoto
I've applied for politics and anthropology joint honours but would like to change to politics and sociology. Should I ring the admissions office now or would it be better to wait until results day?

Speak to them now.
Reply 14
Any one tell me about the birmingham foundation programme.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by athar8
Any one tell me about the birmingham foundation programme.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/foundation-academy
Original post by Coffeetime

Posted from TSR Mobile

As uob has quite rightly said, you can study just one language if you'd like. There are several languages you can start from beginners-level as well as those from post-a level. The link provided explains the different combinations you can choose from, including studying a language combined with another subject such as European Studies or Business Management.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/lcahm/departments/languages/undergraduate/index.aspx
Original post by uob
When will fresher information be released?

You will receive a pack containing some important information and a student diary mid to late August. However most of the Fresher's material will be available online where you can build your Fresher's timetable etc.

There is already some information available on the Welcome pages but more will be added closer to September.
Original post by vdoto

It would be better to ring your admissions tutor as soon as possible if you've made a final decision on what you'd like to study.
Reply 19
Would a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care at grades D*D*D* be considered for your undergraduate Psychology degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending