The Student Room Group

no insurance, court help?

Hi :smile:

I'm new to this forum..

Basically 1 week ago I was driving my mothers car , I got stopped by police.

The vehicle came up as insured, it was insured under a company policy. The company I work for (mechanic) , however further checks revealed that I wasn't insured, I called my boss at the roadside and explained that the vehicle is coming up as insured under the company but I am not a named driver.

My boss then said ill call you back.. which he never did.

So I am on the roadside with 2 officers and they are saying the car is insured under the company policy.

I am explaining to them that I work for the company and that I am insured.

They then asked for a policy number for insurance, I therefore called up my boss and asked for this, long story short 30 minutes later my boss never called back or nothing, phone off.

Therefore the police took the vehicle and I was left to break the news to my mum.

Next day my mum took out a insurance policy on her name and got the car back (£170 charge).

I called my boss the next day (phone switched on) and explained what happened.
He then said to me that I wasn't insured and that he only put the car on the policy , not me as a named driver as I am under 21.

I was furious and explained to him that in the first 2 years of my licence if I receive 6 points I loose my licence.

I then went to the garage where I worked and it was locked up, there wasn't no-one there.

I tryed calling him back all day I waited at the garage but nothing. Phones on voice-mail. The garage is closed.

I now face 6 points and a £200 fine for something that I honestly didn't do.
I believed I was insured as I explained to the police.
7 days have past and I haven't handed my licence in, therefore I believe I will receive a court summons how long does it take to recieve one?
Or should I write to them?

I am more than happy to attend, I want to explain what happened.

1. I worked part time as a mechanic in the garage.
2. I will supply the address, name and contact number of the garage.
3. I will supply the name of my boss and his number.
4. I will explain I was told that I was insured to drive any vehicle as I worked there.
5. I haven't been involved in the police ever.
6. I am worried about getting points and it will revoke my licence, which will increase future insurance.
7. My future career will be ruined for something that isn't my fault.

I don't mind getting 3 points and a fine/ban.

Once my licence is gone I will feel ruined.

It took me 5 tests to receive my licence, I know how hard it was to pass & because of someone else I am going to loose it?

I am 19 , I have held my licence for 18 months, 6 more months then the 2 year licence.

From here where do I go?
Seeking legal advice I spoke to solicitor's however doesn't that look like Im guilty when I am not?

I just want to be honest with the court, but some people say you plead guilty to no insurance its 6 points automatically.

So plead not guilty?
Reply 1
Original post by Unique_Name
Seeking legal advice I spoke to solicitor's however doesn't that look like Im guilty when I am not?

Having a solicitor does not make you look guilty - it makes it look like you're exercising your legal rights. Sorry I can't be more helpful on any other aspect, but I am nothing approaching a lawyer.
Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc is really interesting on why you should never talk to the police.
If you weren't insured then you weren't insured. Also generally working for a garage and having the relevant business insurance means that you're insured to drive cars you're working on and not any car ever.

You may well lose your license. Sucks I know, but powering insured. It's the law that you should make sure you're insured before taking a vehicle out. Therefore even in court you'll be guilty.

If your boss admits that you were told you were insured and you checked that this covers you to drive any car, then you might be able to get off. Sorry man.
Reply 3
Original post by shaymarriott
If you weren't insured then you weren't insured. Also generally working for a garage and having the relevant business insurance means that you're insured to drive cars you're working on and not any car ever.

You may well lose your license. Sucks I know, but powering insured. It's the law that you should make sure you're insured before taking a vehicle out. Therefore even in court you'll be guilty.

If your boss admits that you were told you were insured and you checked that this covers you to drive any car, then you might be able to get off. Sorry man.

The garage is closed, there is no-one there.
His phone is going to voicemail.
Reply 4
I will admit to them that i'm sorry and explain it won't happen again.
Reply 5
It's your Mum's car, and also your company's, so she works for the same company as you? Shouldn't she have clarified before she loaned it to you as to whether you were insured to drive it or not?
Reply 6
Nooo.

It was her car, but i thought i could drive any car because I worked there.

I admit.

My mistake.
Reply 7
Hi :smile:
So plead not guilty?

AFAIK you have no comeback you can plead not guilty but if found guilty ( which is 100% as you can't produce a insurance document) they will slam you with 8 points in court & a higher fine instead of 6 points + £200. Since you were caught bang to right chin up and take the 6 points + fine.
Reply 8
im going to plead not guilty.

I will explain to them the situation and hopefully they will understand where im coming from.

worst comes to worst I get the points and a fine.

6 point 9 points its the same will take 4 years to come off so never-mind.

i wouldn't get insured anyways with 6 points.
Reply 9
remember the fine they can impose can be up to £5000 as well...

either way you will get the points and lose your license
Reply 10
£5000?

I haven't got that type of money.

but i will speak to a solicitor.

My boss has truly screwed me over.
Reply 11
£5000?

If you do not dispute your FPN and surrender your license to police station you will receive 6 points & £200 fine.

If you do dispute but are proven guilty the court can hit you with a bigger fine of up to 6-8 points and up to £5000 fine.

refer to this

My friend borrowed my car and said he was insured to use it under his own Policy. I have now found out that his Policy did not cover him for other vehicles. Can I be prosecuted?
Yes. If you lend your vehicle to anybody, you should only do so on the basis that you have checked the insurance position. Many people think that because they have fully comprehensive insurance they are insured on other vehicles. This is rarely correct. You can be prosecuted for permitting another person to use your vehicle without insurance and face 6–8 penalty points and a fine up to £5,000.

I use a company vehicle. My employer forgot to renew the insurance and now I am being prosecuted. Surely it is my employer who should be in Court, not me?
Although the offence was committed without your knowledge, as driver of the vehicle, it is your obligation to be 100% certain that insurance cover is in place. Whilst your employer has a duty to you, and indeed to other road users, their failure to provide insurance does not provide you with a defence and in the circumstances, both you and your employer face conviction.

Looks like If your going down you should take your employer down with you if you no longer want your job:colone:
£5000?

Are you sure about that?

Sounds to me like he put your mothers car on his company insurance, but not yourself as a named driver due to you being under 21.

He insured your mother and her car through the policy, but not yourself. You failed to clarify that fact and just assumed you were also insured as you worked for him.

Surely you are 100% at fault in this.

Correct me if I have picked you up wrong.
Reply 13
Take the hit- 6 points and the £200.00 fine. With 18 months driving experience you should find it easier to pass a retest. Lesson learnt, never trust anyone else on these sorts of matters.

Where were you going when you got stopped by the Police? I imagine the company policy would only cover the vehicle for business use anyway, so either way you were driving without insurance.
Reply 14
Original post by Ray187
Tell ur boss hes a fukin prick and needs to own up hes the one who will get the points for allowing you to drive company car knowing uve no insurance on it

This thread hasn't had a reply since 2013. Don't bump old threads. Closing it now.