The Student Room Group

Calling all 2nd/3rd year OPTOM students!

Hi Folks

I am a mature student starting the Undergrad Optometry degree in Sept & I have joined this forum to get a recommendation from someone who is either doing the degree currently or has just finished.

In terms of what to expect workwise, can anyone advise me on anything to study ahead of time that is required for the first year to make the course simpler? Perhaps this is something that you did or should have done in hindsight?

How tough is the maths side of the course for eg, Geometrical Optics & Optical Dispensing?

I have tried reading through some of the many text books needed for the course, but coming from a different industry, this is like gobbledy goook..

I would be really grateful for any advice. Please feel free to PM me.

Many Thanks
Which uni are you joining ?
Reply 2
Original post by jamess115
Hi Folks

I am a mature student starting the Undergrad Optometry degree in Sept & I have joined this forum to get a recommendation from someone who is either doing the degree currently or has just finished.

In terms of what to expect workwise, can anyone advise me on anything to study ahead of time that is required for the first year to make the course simpler? Perhaps this is something that you did or should have done in hindsight?

How tough is the maths side of the course for eg, Geometrical Optics & Optical Dispensing?

I have tried reading through some of the many text books needed for the course, but coming from a different industry, this is like gobbledy goook..

I would be really grateful for any advice. Please feel free to PM me.

Many Thanks

Hi, I'm not an Optometry student but as part of my Physics course we do a lot of Optics and geometric optics is by and large fairly simple. The maths required for Optics even going through wave optics and into quantum optics is not very difficult so don't worry about the maths content. :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for your responses.. I will be studying at Cardiff. Anymore help from current Optom students would be much appreciated
Contact Cardiff University Optometry Society (OpSoc). They will be able to give you tips that will be most relevant.
Even though all Optom programmes are very similar (as they have to follow the GOC guidelines) the split/emphasis between sujects is slightly different among unis.
Reply 5
Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 6
Hey I'm going into second year at Cardiff - I'm social sec for OPSOC as previously mentioned. Workload is quite heavy but as you've found out textbooks don't seem to make a lot of sense just reading them straight off without going to the lectures previously. I wouldn't look too far ahead but if you go back to a level standard biology and brush up on that - cells to systems textbooks and anatomy and physiology ones and just go over the basics again it would probably be helpful to have it fresh in your mind if you did want prior reading. As for ocular anatomy The human eye: structure and function is a really good book and is written so that it's fairly easy to read through without being too heavy like a proper traditional textbook. That's only if you really want to though - I don't think it's really necessary to read up too much beforehand!

As for the maths side I wouldn't worry too much. Don't read up on geo optics as the lecturers give you what you need to know and anything beyond that is too complicated for what we need. To be honest same goes with dispensing. Books by Jalie (there's a larger purple one you'll get to know) that can be helpful but the lecturer very much has his own way of doing things so I think it's better waiting for that. It's not too bad but it seems a little daunting at first just keep working at it throughout the year and do the feedback questions he gives you every week and you should be fine. There's always extra maths support if you need it and all the lecturers are pretty good about going to them if you don't understand anything!

I would just enjoy the next few weeks before work kicks in and start fresh - dont feel the need to buy any textbooks either. They're expensive especially cause optom's such a small field and you can just borrow books ffrom the library and renew them for as long as you need them!

Hope this helps and looking forward to meeting you in September! Also if you have Facebook join 'Cardiff optometry freshers 2013/2014' it will be the page for your year and 'Cardiff OPSOC' which is our society page! Hope I helped!
Reply 7
Kmccurdy996

I really appreciated your message. I found your advice very helpful particularly the part about the Maths element of Geo Optics and Dispensing in the 1st yr. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to reading up before the course starts but my overriding feeling is to avoid burning-out knowing that I can expect a relatively large volume of work during term time. This said, I have actually purchased a few books inc. Human Eye (S+F) which, to reinforce your point, I did find quite easy to read.

From what I understand, freshers wk starts on 23rd Sept, so as a mature student, thats going to be interesting going to Chicago's and bowling with my fellow class mates!!

I look forward to meeting with you during the program :smile:

James
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending