The Student Room Group

| dental hygiene & therapy | 2014 entry |

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
me 2. what qualifications do you have? i live in lincolnshire so could get the train or drive if theres no room. but i think they save room for the h+t students.
Reply 21
Original post by emilye
i have applied to sheffiled for april 2014 intake. i havnt heard yet, i rang and was told letters for interview will be sent out at the end of october. i think this month will go so slow!! haha. they have so many applicants for only 24 spaces. what are everyones plans for accomodation if accepted to sheffield? emily x

Letters for interviews will be sent out by or around the middle of October not the end you should have got a letter saying they received your application when they received it if you included an envelope with your address and stamp on. In the letter it says "once all applications are received we will review them and contact you again with our decision. This should be around the middle of October." :smile:
Reply 22
ooohh thats even better then,thanks. yeah they sent me a compliments slip with application recieved written on it.
My friend got a place last year and she shares a house with other people on her course as halls is complicated due to the course starting in April - most people tend to move out in July for summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all :smile:

I'm currently in first yr at sheff for dht so any questions please ask.

I met 5 others on here who also got in so its a good forum to discuss things with other potential students.

Who's your friend Hannah?

Good luck to u all (the waiting is horrible!) xx
Reply 25
Annabel
There is no difference between a diploma or degree in dental hygiene.

You have exactly the same clinical job & career prospects. One takes longer e.g. 21 months v 3 -4 years & some may have course fees. The sylabus & skills learned is the same for both, so you do not need to have a degree unless you really want to.

Some are degrees that are 3 years because they also include dental therapy, but research how many practices want dental therapists. (a freind of mine qualified as a DH and DT and only 2 of her group of students that finished out of 12 now work as therapists at all - it seems most dentists in our part of the world want hygiene skills only)

Also you could try & find out which courses have the most students finishing & qualifiying, some loose almost half of students along the way - find ones with really good success rates
Good luck! !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Laura. My friend is Pj Rogers! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doolallylaura

I met 5 others on here who also got in so its a good forum to discuss things with other potential students.

Hey! What quals did you have when you applied? Sheffield have rejected me because of my D in science, I don't think I have much chance with a D :-/ thanks! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by VickihutchDHDT90
Hey! What quals did you have when you applied? Sheffield have rejected me because of my D in science, I don't think I have much chance with a D :-/ thanks! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi have you received a letter saying you haven't got an interview?? Does this mean letters for whether you have an interview or not have been sent out???:smile:
Hey! No I didn't even apply, I emailed asking them if the D would be an issue and they said yes and told me not to apply! Ha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by VickihutchDHDT90
Hey! No I didn't even apply, I emailed asking them if the D would be an issue and they said yes and told me not to apply! Ha

I emailed Sheffield too and they said a D wouldn't be enough in science however I did the access course and that counteracts it! Or a a level science/ biology online or through college counteracts the gcse because it being a higher level so I applied ! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31

Hey,

I was wondering what the typical entry is? Are most people who go to Sheffield already dental nurses before the course starts? What is the typical entry requirement people had?
Lauren
Hellooo yet another thrilled one on forum waiting for hopefully next week and the decision of Sheffield
Reply 33

Good luck to u all (the waiting is horrible!)

** hey! Just out of curiosity what textbooks do u need for dht? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any dental nurses on the course with low GCSE grades? Many thanks :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I applied last year, got a place at Sheffield and actually started the course, was there for 6 months but had to leave due to financial reasons. I've applied again this year but just for Birmingham, fingers crossed!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Laura really is doolally! In regards Sheffield, it really is a fantastic place to study DH/DT. The tutors are really good and you learn SOO much very very quickly. The group is really small and the way they have it set up, you all gel with each other really well.
As I'm looking at last year's interview invites, I think they give precisely one month of notice. Interview week for this year is WC 18th Nov sooo.. we should be expecting news after the 18th Oct :smile: Waiting for Sheffield IS thrilling
My friend Has told me that she was talking to head of school and they are still going through the applications at the moment as they have had a 40% increase in the amount of people who have applied for h&t this year! Looks like the competition is even harder for us then :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yeeees I'd easily presume they did have a big increase as hygienists and therapists are now liberated in many many ways under the new GDC scheme no wonder it's going to be a tough battle :smile:))) Me-I'm a nurse former dentistry applicant and a failed one at a Portsmouth interview december last year heh

Quick Reply

Latest