The Student Room Group

Will A-Levels put me at a disadvantage?

Hi!

I will be receiving my A-Level results next month and I expect to get BBE. The E is a result of my poor ability in Biology :frown: I also have an E at AS in Mathematics which accounts towards 20 UCAS points.

Hopefully, providing I get at least 260 points, I will be studying History and Criminology & Criminal Justice come September - which given my record in essay subjects, hopefully I will get a 2:1 minimum. I will be pushing for a 1st class degree though.

I am yet to decide what to do after graduation but I'm looking into various MAs, from teaching, to social work, to management. For the most part, post-graduate courses are looking for a good upper second class honours degree. Provided I achieved that (or above) and had relevant experience, would much attention be paid to my E at A-Level given that I had bettered myself at university and would be taking a totally unrelated degree at Masters level?

Thank you
Original post by EloiseStar
Hi!

I will be receiving my A-Level results next month and I expect to get BBE. The E is a result of my poor ability in Biology :frown: I also have an E at AS in Mathematics which accounts towards 20 UCAS points.

Hopefully, providing I get at least 260 points, I will be studying History and Criminology & Criminal Justice come September - which given my record in essay subjects, hopefully I will get a 2:1 minimum. I will be pushing for a 1st class degree though.

I am yet to decide what to do after graduation but I'm looking into various MAs, from teaching, to social work, to management. For the most part, post-graduate courses are looking for a good upper second class honours degree. Provided I achieved that (or above) and had relevant experience, would much attention be paid to my E at A-Level given that I had bettered myself at university and would be taking a totally unrelated degree at Masters level?

Thank you

Don't worry, it is highly unlikely they will ask for school academics. At no point on my MA application was I asked to put my GCSE or A-level grades. And I applied on the general postgraduate application form for my university, it wasn't as if it was tailored specifically to my course. All that they care about is your final degree classification, or if you're applying in your final year, what were your grades in your 1st and 2nd year/your predicted grade.

Most importantly, work hard at university, get at least a 2.i and build good rapports with your lecturers so they can give you glowing references. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending