The Student Room Group

uni's by a beach location ?

hi I have lived in the city all my life and would like to go a uni that is by the beach in a coastal area any ideas ?

at the moment i have Bangor and Aberdeen possibly Portsmouth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you want to study? and what sort of grades are you predicted? Brighton or Southampton could be options
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Swansea University has a beach 5 minutes away from it's main campus.
Reply 3
Falmouth Uni, what do you want to study?
Reply 4
I want to study law LLB and I am predicted AABd
Reply 5
Original post by bennett6767
I want to study law LLB and I am predicted AABd

This is a really stupid reason to pick any university, but I think law might be one where the stupidity is even more pronounced..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I don't know anything bout the Law courses or entry reqs but Swansea has a mahoosive great beach literally across the road from the gate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
it's not the main reason it would just be a bonus that's all
Having a beach really isn't a great way to pick a uni - you can live by a beach for the rest of your life, but now is the time when you get the foundation that allows you to live by the beach. Don't forget that you'll be missing most of the decent weather as you'll be at home for the summer anyway.

That said, Sussex would be one of your better options.
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
Having a beach really isn't a great way to pick a uni - you can live by a beach for the rest of your life, but now is the time when you get the foundation that allows you to live by the beach. Don't forget that you'll be missing most of the decent weather as you'll be at home for the summer anyway.

That said, Sussex would be one of your better options.

This.

Couldn't have written it more beautifully than this
​Brighton !!!!!!
Bangor are quite close to the beach :s-smilie:

But Brighton is probably the best uni. You can't beat Brighton beach IMO.
Reply 12
Original post by bennett6767
hi I have lived in the city all my life and would like to go a uni that is by the beach in a coastal area any ideas ?

at the moment i have Bangor and Aberdeen possibly Portsmouth

Being predicted AAB I would suggest Exeter, it's kinda close-ish
Reply 13
WHERE IS THE SUN Through out the year??
I wouldn't pick Portsmouth The beach is really stoney also there are some really sketchy places in Porstsmouth.

If you pick Southampton you have picked a uni in a Nautical City with a proud an noble history and Southampton is great student town with loads of bars clubs restaurants some of the best fish and chips I've tasted in the UK and good shopping but the beach is two things 1) in Calshot so you need to drive there and 2)again really stoney. there is Victoria park but it's not really a beach just like a bar of sand. But at those two unis you can easily get to the isle of white which does have nice beaches but you'll have to pay to get there.

In all honesty the best beach I can think of in the UK is Bornmouth there are also some nice looking ones in Devon and Cornwall you have nice looking sand a beach front and surfing so I reckon you want that kind of beach for beach party's and stuff yeah. I should mention I don't know much about the uni there (I went to Solent and did some work experience at Southampton)

As other people have said it's not a good way to pick a uni (weather there is a beach nearby but I would also say you need to feel happy where you are (I left Porstmouth because wasn't happy) if you need a beach for that then so be it. whatever you do good luck and if you find somewhere without a beach that you love don't reject it just because they don't have a beach.
Original post by James A
You can't beat Brighton beach IMO.

Stones. Ick.
Reply 16
Hull Uni - Scarborough Campus, Aberystwyth, Plymouth, Southampton.
Reply 17
St Andrews has 3 beaches but doesn't offer law :wink:
Reply 19
St Andrews i believe is near a beach.

Quick Reply

Latest