The Student Room Group

MA Interpretion and Translation (Bath/other universities)

Hi everyone!

I am currently investigating the prospects of doing a Masters in Interpretation and Translation (languages: English and Spanish). I would love to know the experiences of anyone who has done this Masters, or similar ones (like conference interpretation/general or specific translation)...especially anyone who did it at Bath Uni - the course at Bath Uni is the one that interests me the most. But if you did this type of Masters in a different University, it would be really useful to know what you thought! Would you recommend the Masters? Where are you working now, if you have finished? How was your experience in general?

Thank you so much for any help or insight you can give me!!

Niki xx
Original post by nixi_pixie
But if you did this type of Masters in a different University, it would be really useful to know what you thought! Would you recommend the Masters? Where are you working now, if you have finished? How was your experience in general?

I did a masters in Translation Studies at Edinburgh. I can give an overview of what the 30 or so people I did with do now. Half were from China and went straight back (no idea what they do there). The other half were split roughly half and half between Brits and Europeans/North Americans. I have three friends who work in inhouse translation jobs, a couple more who are trying to freelance (but without much success), and I work full time as a freelance translator/interpreter. So a typical translation studies course clearly doesn't equate to immediate work for everyone (nor does it serve as inspiration to many to enter the sector professionally). In terms of whether the degree is worth it, I would say only really in the respect that you can tell people you have it. I know my MSc definitely beats out other candidates for work. But in terms of practical skills, it offered me nothing I couldn't do before or haven't taught myself subsequently. The interpreting element is something you do need equipment/time to practice (along with some training), so that may be different - but I'm not a trained interpreter, so I can't comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending