The Student Room Group

How much will my uni course care about choice of A level subjects?

I'm planning to study anthropology at university, hopefully with an offer of around AAB-ABB, and my AS levels are in history, film studies, chemistry and English language. I basically took film studies as a relaxing subject which I planned to drop after first year, but it's actually become the one that I'm genuinely most interested in, am doing better in than other subjects and would be upset to drop.

I've asked various university staff about preferred subjects and their answer is ALWAYS that for anthropology there really are no preferred subjects so in theory it wouldn't matter if I carried film on, but at the same time I'm very aware that for a lot of courses they have a duty to say that but realistically taking a less academic subject like film would really reduce my chances for getting into a high grade university.

As anthropology is a pretty obscure subject it's really hard to know whether they mean it or not when they say I can take any subject, can anyone give me any advice?
If this is what several different Unis have told you then its probably reliable. Goldsmiths states on their website: We don't assume you have any knowledge of anthropology, and welcome applications from anyone with arts, social studies or science backgrounds.

What most RG Unis will be looking for is a demonstrable interest in the subject and the ability to write essays. History and Eng Lang will give you these essay skills, so I dont think you need to worry too much about the other subject. I would suggest you go with whatever you enjoy the most - because that will probably mean the better grade. If Film Studies is what you enjoy - do it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
If your subjects are unrelated to the degree you want to study you'll need to do more research and reading to find out that you definitely do love the subject. This will help you write your PS as you'll be able to show you really do love the subject. It will also mean you don't end up writing pointless things like "taking maths helped my maths skills".
For anthropology most unis won't have specific a-levels that they want you to have taken, if you're looking to take purely biological anthropology then there may be a preference for some science based a-levels. But apart from that I found that it didn't really matter.

I applied to either anthropology courses or social anthropology courses this year and found no trouble getting offers with three humanities subjects at a-level (English Lit, History and Anthropology).

But as Juno has said, I would say try and do some reading on the subject so you can show some anthropological knowledge in your personal statement; if you haven't studied it before that is. Then you can help show how your current a-levels link to anthropology as well.

If you haven't studied anthropology before or done much in-depth reading I'd suggest one of Joy Hendry's books, they cover a lot in them which means you can pick some of the bits that link to your other subjects and read bits you are interested in. These are two I've read bits of for my a-level and are both recommended reading for the a-level as well.
Anthropology: A Beginner's Guide - Hendry and Underdown
An Introduction to Social Anthropology: Sharing Our Worlds - Henry
May have been already mentioned but most if not all anthropology degrees have film modules in, so in some aspects the film a level will come in handy. Unless you're applying for a biological/medical anthropology degree or at oxbridge the a level choices you made won't be entirely important to the university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending