The Student Room Group

What if you want to study abroad full time?

What if you want to go to a different country and go to university there and attend a full course to get a degree there.

Are you still able to get like student loan and grants or do you have to be within a university within the UK to get these?
Reply 1
Original post by ZynFaze
What if you want to go to a different country and go to university there and attend a full course to get a degree there.

Are you still able to get like student loan and grants or do you have to be within a university within the UK to get these?

You can only get student finance in the UK. There are some bursaries and scholarships available but apart from in the Netherlands where you can get a bursary for living costs if you work whilst studying then they are university dependant. Most students self fund at least part of the costs.
Reply 2
Oh... ok

So if it's out of the UK I'm not legible for loans or grants :frown:
Original post by ZynFaze
Oh... ok

Remember, studying in mainland Europe is far cheaper than in the UK, if not absolutely free. Something to bear in mind
I am coming from the US to study in the UK and all I will receive is the oppertunity to apply for federal loans, even though I qualify for aid when in the US.
Reply 5
Original post by ZynFaze
Oh... ok

no, but tuition fees in Europe are typically very low.
Reply 6
Oh I meant out of Europe lol

Not outside of the UK, my bad.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ZynFaze

well outside of Europe you have high fees and high living costs so unless you can get a scholarship or needs blind admission in some US universities then you have even more to pay yourself.
Reply 8
If it's the US there's 2 key qs.

Are you just all round **** hot? You might have a shot at the international needs blind colleges such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Amherst and a couple of other Ivies (Dartmouth and Cornell?), result!

If q 1 is not applicable, are you **** hot at a particular sport? Examples would be swimming, athletics, football (the bashy, brashy kind), football (the proper one), basketball, baseball, lacrosse and so on.

If the above don't apply you may find it's an uphill batle finding funding.
Reply 9
Original post by ZynFaze

No, the UK government will not fund you.
Depending on your country of choice there may be some scholarships availible.
I do seem to remember that if youre doing certain courses the government will give you loan or something relsated to the government anyway, but it is a litteral loan not like a student loan and it has to be for more practical degrees like engineering etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending