The Student Room Group

Strange mark on my leg. Quite worried

Basically. I've have this bruise type mark on my leg which came out of nowhere around Christmas. I thought it was just a bruise but after a few weeks it was still there. I've left it this long and it's still there. It came from nowhere. It's not a birthmark. It's like a strange discolouration of the skin but its not a bruise.
After a quick google (which I really shouldn't do) I'm quite worried after reading stuff about cancer etc. it's just worrying as to what it is and where it's come with.

I think I'll just book with my GP and play it safe. But has anyone else had bruise like spots about the size of a 10 pence appear randomly?
Yes, but I always think that I must have hurt myself for that to happen.

Usually goes away after like a week (rough estimate). If it's been there for up to 2 weeks or more, I'd see my GP.
Reply 2
Original post by Splenge007
Yes, but I always think that I must have hurt myself for that to happen.

Usually goes away after like a week (rough estimate). If it's been there for up to 2 weeks or more, I'd see my GP.

It's been 6 months at least. I just thought nothing of it until someone else mentioned it to me.
:zomg: That's a long time. What colour is it?
Reply 4
Original post by chris896
Basically. I've have this bruise type mark on my leg which came out of nowhere around Christmas. I thought it was just a bruise but after a few weeks it was still there. I've left it this long and it's still there. It came from nowhere. It's not a birthmark. It's like a strange discolouration of the skin but its not a bruise.
After a quick google (which I really shouldn't do) I'm quite worried after reading stuff about cancer etc. it's just worrying as to what it is and where it's come with.

I think I'll just book with my GP and play it safe. But has anyone else had bruise like spots about the size of a 10 pence appear randomly?

I don't think it's that bad .. Must be an infection .. But do tell your GP, who will give medication ..it can't be serious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
:zomg: That's a long time. What colour is it?

That's really reassured me... Haha. I'm going to ring and book it. You just wouldn't think something as little as a mark on the skin coil be something so serious. Ill ring up and book an appointment.

It's a bruise colour. Lighter on the inside then darker around the outside of the mark.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
By the way. There is no pain. Nothing feels different. It's just to the side of my knee cap.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel any more worried about it :frown:

Is it purple-y? Dark blue-y? Light coloured circle with dark rim?
Reply 8
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel any more worried about it :frown:

Is it purple-y? Dark blue-y? Light coloured circle with dark rim?

Actually looking closer. It's like quite a light brown and like blue towards the center. Hard to explain. Ill just go to the doctors. It's like the skin is damaged as well.
Reply 9
Could it be a lifestyle injury ? like for example always wearing kneepads for skateboarding or something
Original post by chris896
Actually looking closer. It's like quite a light brown and like blue towards the center. Hard to explain. Ill just go to the doctors. It's like the skin is damaged as well.

Let me know what the doc says! Hopefully it's nothing serious :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Ladders
Could it be a lifestyle injury ? like for example always wearing kneepads for skateboarding or something

I had a problem last year with me knees. Constant cracking noises an aching in my knees. I'm active and sporty. I'm only 18 and play sports which can be quite intensive on the knees. But It doesn't seem like a sport injury. It's not bruising or anything like that. And it hasn't developed at all over 6 months. Just stayed as it is.
it could be anything

as mentioned above, life style injury - my BF got some new trainers a 2 years ago and wore them nearly every day for 6 months, he now seems to have perminant red circular marks on the top of his foot (one on each foot in the same spot)

maybe you have had repetitive contact that's marked the skin
I have a bruised mark at the side of my leg near my knee cap... been there about 10 months.... what did the doctor say?

Quick Reply

Latest