The Student Room Group

Consultancy Summer Internships 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saf94
I wanted to apply for the Deloitte summer internship but it says you need to have achieved a 2:1 in your first year. I got 59.5 in my first year so just a 2:2, does this mean i cant apply?

Really? Read over what you just said.
Reply 41
Original post by pmc:producer
Really? Read over what you just said.

Why what's wrong with it?

I'm new to all these internship applications so i don't know much about them
Original post by Saf94
Why what's wrong with it?

I'm new to all these internship applications so i don't know much about them

Essentially you said:

A) I need to be on track for a first to apply.
B) I'm on track for a 2:1
C) Can I apply?

You don't have to be an internship expert to see the problem here...
Reply 43
Essentially you said:

A) I need to be on track for a first to apply.
B) I'm on track for a 2:1
C) Can I apply?

You don't have to be an internship expert to see the problem here...

Well it was on track for a 2:1 and i got 59.5 does that mean im on track for a 2:2? Half a mark is the difference between being good enough for Deloitte and not?

Surely half a mark is insignificant enough for it not to make a difference
Original post by Saf94
Well it was on track for a 2:1 and i got 59.5 does that mean im on track for a 2:2? Half a mark is the difference between being good enough for Deloitte and not?

It's not about half a mark - it's about a 2:2 and a 2:1. If we applied this logic to everybody who was just shy of a 2:1 (i.e. those with over 57% suddenly having a minimum requirement becomes obsolete and a 2:1 becomes of lesser value.

Is losing out due to half a mark fair? Probably not but that's life sometimes.
Reply 45
Original post by Saf94

Just do predicted. If you manage to get a 2:1 you will get the internship.
Reply 46
It's not about half a mark - it's about a 2:2 and a 2:1. If we applied this logic to everybody who was just shy of a 2:1 (i.e. those with over 57% suddenly having a minimum requirement becomes obsolete and a 2:1 becomes of lesser value.

What does he have to lose by applying? Life is about challenging stuff. I applied for a placement where they required a 2.1 in first year, I didn't have it, applied anyway, got the job, and on track to get a 1st now.

Its only half a mark, round it up and go for it. Nothing to lose.
Reply 47

57% isnt the same as 59.5 and neither is 59 the same as 59.5. My point was that its just half a mark but yeah, im not saying its unfair i was just asking because i didnt know i wasnt complaining or anything.
Original post by AlexejKir
What does he have to lose by applying? Life is about challenging stuff. I applied for a placement where they required a 2.1 in first year, I didn't have it, applied anyway, got the job, and on track to get a 1st now.

Its only half a mark, round it up and go for it. Nothing to lose.

Where did I say he shouldn't apply :lol: ?

Original post by Saf94
57% isnt the same as 59.5 and neither is 59 the same as 59.5. My point was that its just half a mark but yeah, im not saying its unfair i was just asking because i didnt know i wasnt complaining or anything.

59% isn't the same as 59.5% the same way a 2:2 isn't the same as a 2:1. This is my point.

Anyway, contrary to Alexej, I'm not saying you shouldn't apply - I'm saying you're on track for a 2:2, not a 2:1. They require a 2:1. It really is as black and white as that despite a half mark.

Apply... What's the worst that can happen?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
Where did I say he shouldn't apply :lol: ?

59% isn't the same as 59.5% the same way a 2:1 isn't the same as a first. This is my point.

Anyway, contrary to Alexej, I'm not saying you shouldn't apply - I'm saying you're on track for a 2:1, not a first. They require a first. It really is as black and white as that despite a half mark.

Apply... What's the worst that can happen?

sorry, maybe I missed something.. where does it say tat they require a first?

I thought he said they require a 2.1....?
sorry, maybe I missed something.. where does it say tat they require a first?

I thought he said they require a 2.1....?

They do - I'm tripping! The point still stands...
About to go into 2nd year of maths degre. Was incredibly lazy last year In terms of internships. But this year I'm going to get my ass in gear. I hope to post alot on this thread in the coming months...
Reply 52
They do - I'm tripping! The point still stands...

:biggrin: cool, no worries, I was surprised how hard you went on him, even tho he was only a 0.5marks off
:biggrin: cool, no worries, I was surprised how hard you went on him, even tho he was only a 0.5marks off

I wasn't overly harsh lol, just stating the obvious! That's the flaw in internet chat! You never know what mood the other person's in :lol:
Oh god, how embarrassing. Just realised in one of my applications I've made an error on my covering letter - I've missed out a word completely so a sentence makes no sense :doh:

Hope that doesn't have a significant effect but in reality...
Original post by Intriguing Alias
Oh god, how embarrassing. Just realised in one of my applications I've made an error on my covering letter - I've missed out a word completely so a sentence makes no sense :doh:

Hope that doesn't have a significant effect but in reality...

What else has opened for consultancy? Except deloitte and EY?
e: I did the same thing for goldman sachs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chicheto93
What else has opened for consultancy? Except deloitte and EY?
e: I did the same thing for goldman sachs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems BCG is open after all - well I applied and will see what they say. Also applied to a couple of other small consultancies, but with all due respect I have put a lot of time and effort into looking up these firms for myself, it's only fair that you should do the same.
Original post by Intriguing Alias
Seems BCG is open after all - well I applied and will see what they say. Also applied to a couple of other small consultancies, but with all due respect I have put a lot of time and effort into looking up these firms for myself, it's only fair that you should do the same.

Absolutely! Thank you again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
What sort of academic background does everyone have?
Does anyone know when PWC are going to open applications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending