The Student Room Group

HCA in Theatres - Interview help

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invitation for the role of HCA in the department of Theatres.
I was wondering if anyone else has worked in this department or even if you have not, I would delighted if you could tell me what exactly it might be like to work in Theatres?
Also, any interview tips would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
TheRP
Reply 1
It's very different to being a HCA on the wards. There's a lot less hands on patient contact. You might go fetch patients from the wards, help take patients back to wards, help clean and set up theatres or other bits of the theatre suite, stock up equipment and surgical trays, decontaminate endoscopes, help position patients in theatre, help circulate for the scrub nurse or ODP, be an extra pair of hands in theatre or recovery, fetch blood products from blood bank, set up equipment. There's probably lots more but I can't think of any more at the mo.
Oh right I see, that sounds quite good actually. And also, its probably unlikely, but would there be opportunities to observe surgical proxedures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
you'll be in theatre and around to see them yeah. If you're helping out the scrub nurse by circulating in theatre you'll be opening packages of equipment for them, counting swabs and needles with them and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending