The Student Room Group

National insurance number - missed appointment?

I got called by the job centre plus office to let me know about an upcoming national insurance number interview which student finance had arranged as I don't have one, but I was out of London so could not make it & the office strangely came up as a blocked number so I couldn't call back straight away. I have now been trying to set up a new appointment but have been going backwards and forwards between job centre plus and student finance who both say the other one needs to request for another interview.

i have spent hours trying to fix this and just keep getting told the exact same thing by both sides!! Can anybody help me? How do I arrange for another appointment?!

I live in the UK, I need the number for my loan to be put through I don't see why there is such a problem trying to simply rebook an appointment
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sazzed
I got called by the job centre plus office to let me know about an upcoming national insurance number interview which student finance had arranged as I don't have one, but I was out of London so could not make it & the office strangely came up as a blocked number so I couldn't call back straight away. I have now been trying to set up a new appointment but have been going backwards and forwards between job centre plus and student finance who both say the other one needs to request for another interview.

i have spent hours trying to fix this and just keep getting told the exact same thing by both sides!! Can anybody help me? How do I arrange for another appointment?!

I live in the UK, I need the number for my loan to be put through I don't see why there is such a problem trying to simply rebook an appointment

The actual Job Centre itself that received the appointment request should be able to re-book it. You have to contact that specific Job Centre, if you try to call the central Job Centre line they'll say SFE should request another appointment, which isn't true if the first one can still be rebooked.

Calling the DWP is a bit of a nightmare, the best way to be sure you're speaking to the actual local Job Centre is to go into the office. They should still have the missed appointment on file and be able to rebook it.
Reply 2
Just go to your local job centre and speak with one of the advisors about rebooking an appointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
The job centre just constantly insists that they can't make appointments for student loans, that student finance needs to resend the request through again. I put a complaint in at student finance so I'm hoping they can sort it out because I'm sick of going between them.

i can't just pop down to the job centre my original appointment was at since it's on the other side of the city, I wouldn't want to make that journey to just be turned away.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sazzed
The job centre just constantly insists that they can't make appointments for student loans, that student finance needs to resend the request through again. I put a complaint in at student finance so I'm hoping they can sort it out because I'm sick of going between them.

i can't just pop down to the job centre my original appointment was at since it's on the other side of the city, I wouldn't want to make that journey to just be turned away.

cant you phone them though, they all have their own phone numbers
Yeah, jobcentres do have individual phone numbers, you can look them up on Google Maps.

It needs to be the one your original appointment was at. The request goes from the Student Loans Company to the DWP who send it to a jobcentre. That jobcentre then sets up an appointment, which they can rebook.

Student Loans Company have to be strict about how many requests they send out to prevent national insurance number fraud. That's why once the request has ended up with a specific jobcentre, it is the responsibility of that jobcentre to do it.
Hlo I missed two appointments for national insurance number because if I didn't get letter and date confusion.what should I do

Quick Reply