The Student Room Group

Second Thoughts During Gap Year

Hi there,

Looking for some advice because I think I've made the wrong decision!

Here is my situation: During 6th Form I applied for Law & Spanish courses (at the time, I thought this was for me) and although I didn't make the grade for either of my choices, I landed a place at Swansea Uni through clearing and managed to defer it for a year in order to take a Gap Year. During my Gap Year I did a ski season and ended up with a really bad knee injury causing me to have lots of physio for it when I got back. Since going back and forth from physio I have become very interested in it, and now I'm having major regrets about the course I'm on, thinking it's not right for me. I love working with people and when I was at school I loved Biology which makes me think I would do better on a course that I have an interest in. I am seriously considering a career in physiotherapy now though the problem is that I cannot reapply because I don't have high enough grades for physio (it was amazing luck getting in on Law!) Unfortunately Swansea don't offer a physio course, if they did I would just swap! I hear clearing isn't a guarantee for physio courses because it's so competitive. I have absolutely no work experience either, which I feel could let me down.
Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I can't help you specifically with physio as I'm applying for occupational therapy. I did a law degree five years ago, I enjoyed the academic side but I always doubted whether law was the career for me, I knew I didn't want to work for a corporate firm. Long story short but I completed the LPC and then worked at a high street firm for two years before I left.

I've spent the last year getting relevant health care experience and talking to as many occupational therapists as possible to make sure that this is something I want to do and that I can do well.

So, my advice is that if you are already having doubts now then you really need to have a serious think before you start your degree. Do you have any contact that you could use to get some work shadowing? For OT you need to have visited at least two different departments as well as doing some voluntary work with vulnerable people so I presume it will be similar for you.

Good luck! I hope it works out well for you.

Quick Reply

Latest