The Student Room Group

A level choices help?

I'm new to this website so I don't really know what I'm doing on it,or what forum this should be in...
Basically,for my GCSEs I was predicted 9 As and 2 A*s,but I completely slacked off and I know I won't achieve that.
For a level I was thinking of doing: History,Economics and English Lit. Will these be enough to get me into a respectable uni if I do okay in them? Would it be too difficult a workload? And what would be a good fourth subject to go with them? I was thinking either Human Biology,Politics,Sociology,but I'm not sure at all really. My school don't help with these sort of thing so if you have any answers thanks for your time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by courtney.c
I'm new to this website so I don't really know what I'm doing on it,or what forum this should be in...
Basically,for my GCSEs I was predicted 9 As and 2 A*s,but I completely slacked off and I know I won't achieve that.
For a level I was thinking of doing: History,Economics and English Lit. Will these be enough to get me into a respectable uni if I do okay in them? Would it be too difficult a workload? And what would be a good fourth subject to go with them? I was thinking either Human Biology,Politics,Sociology,but I'm not sure at all really. My school don't help with these sort of thing so if you have any answers thanks for your time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends firstly on the course you're applying to at University. If it's History or English, they don't really care what your other subjects are. If it's Economics, you would almost certainly need to do Maths.

It depends how you define respectable. A majority of the top 20 will require at least ABB. For arts subjects it tends to be lower. As you move in to the top 10 most will ask for AAA.

Don't worry about your GCSE grades, if you do great at AS they and have good A2 predictions they don't really care (obviously better quality would be an advantage).
Reply 2
Original post by courtney.c

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they will of course be right to get into a good uni providing you do well in them, and the workload will be fairly difficult with History and Literature especially combined, but I wouldn't necessarily say too much more than the majority of other A level students. Plenty of people combine those two subjects as they go well together.

As for the 4th subject, I suppose the most appropriate choice depends on what you want to do at University. Any ideas yet? While most people don't have a dead set idea at age 16, most seem to have an idea of the general area or have a few degree subjects in mind? Any such ideas?

I'd say Politics or Sociology would be more "fitting" with your other 3 subjects, but then again even thought Human Biology creates an odd mix, plenty of people do have odd mixes so I guess it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Ideas on what you might want to do in future or what you're interested in in general would help?

Quick Reply