The Student Room Group

Resit finance issues

I am resitting my second year of my psychology degree at Plymouth, however I have only been given permission to resit 5/6 modules (100/120) credits as I managed to scrape a pass on a module with 49.67%. Due to external circumstances I am being allowed to resit the other modules without penalty, or having to repay. However the lady at the university said if I am only doing 100 credits, I will count as a part time student, and will therefore be liable to pay council tax. Does anyone know the rules regarding this? I don't really want to appeal the decision and then resit the module as it was the one that caused me most grief last year, but I also don't want to have to pay council tax. The module I've not been granted to retake is only 2 hours of lectures a week, so I think it's unfair that only dropping/not resetting one makes me a part timer as I will pretty much be doing the same amount of work. The council tax site I looked at didn't really help, as it said to be full time you have to be doing 21 hours of study a week, and even with all 6 modules my course definite doesn't cover 21 hours of lectures per week.
Original post by Lasuil
I am resitting my second year of my psychology degree at Plymouth, however I have only been given permission to resit 5/6 modules (100/120) credits as I managed to scrape a pass on a module with 49.67%. Due to external circumstances I am being allowed to resit the other modules without penalty, or having to repay. However the lady at the university said if I am only doing 100 credits, I will count as a part time student, and will therefore be liable to pay council tax. Does anyone know the rules regarding this? I don't really want to appeal the decision and then resit the module as it was the one that caused me most grief last year, but I also don't want to have to pay council tax. The module I've not been granted to retake is only 2 hours of lectures a week, so I think it's unfair that only dropping/not resetting one makes me a part timer as I will pretty much be doing the same amount of work. The council tax site I looked at didn't really help, as it said to be full time you have to be doing 21 hours of study a week, and even with all 6 modules my course definite doesn't cover 21 hours of lectures per week.

If you're going to be doing just 100 credits then you're classed as part time. You'll get a tuition fee loan, but you wouldn't get any maintenance loan or anything. You would also be liable for council tax.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
If you're going to be doing just 100 credits then you're classed as part time. You'll get a tuition fee loan, but you wouldn't get any maintenance loan or anything. You would also be liable for council tax.

Maintenance loan doesn't worry me, but is there someway I can appeal? The module I have not been granted to retake is 2 lectures out of about 12 we have a week, and the definition of being a student on the council tax site for Plymouth says "21 hours of study a week, for at least 24 weeks a year" when we only have about 10 hours lectures, 2 hour workshops and only 2 x10 week teaching terms
Original post by Lasuil
Maintenance loan doesn't worry me, but is there someway I can appeal? The module I have not been granted to retake is 2 lectures out of about 12 we have a week, and the definition of being a student on the council tax site for Plymouth says "21 hours of study a week, for at least 24 weeks a year" when we only have about 10 hours lectures, 2 hour workshops and only 2 x10 week teaching terms

When they say 21 hours, it means through lectures and private study. You're a student in university from October - May which is longer than 24 weeks.

Full time is 120 credits per year. If you aren't doing 120 credits, then you aren't full time.

You could ask to re-sit the year.
Reply 4
When they say 21 hours, it means through lectures and private study. You're a student in university from October - May which is longer than 24 weeks.

Full time is 120 credits per year. If you aren't doing 120 credits, then you aren't full time.

You could ask to re-sit the year.

you don't understand, I am restting the year, i suspended my studies in april due to health problems, before my exams, but i passed this module because i did hand in 3/4 pieces, though one was an F when my problems were really challenging me.
Original post by Lasuil
you don't understand, I am restting the year, i suspended my studies in april due to health problems, before my exams, but i passed this module because i did hand in 3/4 pieces, though one was an F when my problems were really challenging me.

You aren't re-sitting the year, as if you were, you'd be re-sitting all modules from that year. You're just re-sitting the ones you failed, which is different.

Either way you're only going to be part-time as you aren't doing 120 credits.
Reply 6
You aren't re-sitting the year, as if you were, you'd be re-sitting all modules from that year. You're just re-sitting the ones you failed, which is different.

Either way you're only going to be part-time as you aren't doing 120 credits.

Having spoken to the SU advice centre today, I will still be a full time student as I will be on the same c800 course, just resitting 100 of the credits. I will also not have to pay council tax. Much relief
Reply 7
Go and ask if you could do an elective module worth 20 credits at the university. That would bring you upto the required credits to be classed as full time but wouldn't count towards your degree, you may have to pay for this course. Look at language modules for example. Ideally you should do this course in the first term, so it doesn't effect your revision for the 5 modules you need to pass.

If you are lucky, once it is official recorded on your university record the system should allow an exemption certificate. You will have to decide which is more cost effective pay the council tax or pay for the credits.
Reply 8
Original post by edjunkie
Go and ask if you could do an elective module worth 20 credits at the university. That would bring you upto the required credits to be classed as full time but wouldn't count towards your degree, you may have to pay for this course. Look at language modules for example. Ideally you should do this course in the first term, so it doesn't effect your revision for the 5 modules you need to pass.

If you are lucky, once it is official recorded on your university record the system should allow an exemption certificate. You will have to decide which is more cost effective pay the council tax or pay for the credits.

it's been resolved now, according to my student union, I will still be considered a full time student, and wont have to pay council tax.
Reply 9
Original post by Lasuil
it's been resolved now, according to my student union, I will still be considered a full time student, and wont have to pay council tax.

do check that with student finance as they have the final say
Reply 10
Original post by jelly1000

The OP's initial issue was only with Council Tax, which is nothing to do with Student Finance. The university will potentially have its own definition of "full time" and "part time" which won't necessarily match those of SF.

As the uni issues the Council Tax Exemption certificate, it's the uni which will have the final say.
Reply 11
Original post by jelly1000

my union told me there is no 'part time' course module for psychology, so I will still be a C800 student, this will not affect my student finance since I am not paying for my resit year due to EC and I don't have a personal loan anyways.
Original post by Lasuil
my union told me there is no 'part time' course module for psychology, so I will still be a C800 student, this will not affect my student finance since I am not paying for my resit year due to EC and I don't have a personal loan anyways.

thats fair enough then
Reply 13
Original post by Lasuil

You need to be aware that SF calculations are based on the number of years that you've *studied* at university level, and not the number of years of SF finance you've had.

If you're classed as full-time for your resit year, then this will count as one of the years of your SF entitlement, even if you don't get any money from them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending