The Student Room Group

5 AS levels too much?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pak1994
I 'only' continued with Biology, Psychology and Maths to A2 (that was my plan all along) and am predicted A*AA. I also did the EPQ.

good luck :smile:
Original post by Bloxorus
At my school you have to take at least 5, many people I know did 6. The workload is fine and I'm carrying all of mine onto A2 so as long as you work hard you'll have no trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only on TSR

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems
As they are all quite heavy subjects in terms of essays and workload I'd advise you against it, I only took essay subjects at AS but they took up much more time than my 'sciences'. I know someone who took 5 who seriously struggled and it affected her grades quite substantially especially as she had resits on top of her other exams but I also have a friend who is the most intelligent person I know and seems to cope with 5 reasonably well. Obviously it's your decision but unless you're trying to keep your options open it's a good idea to stick with 4.
Original post by Bloxorus
At my school you have to take at least 5, many people I know did 6. The workload is fine and I'm carrying all of mine onto A2 so as long as you work hard you'll have no trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 !!!! I'm going to have to do 5 if I go to gramma for sixth form but I might just stay at my current school instead as general studies is a pointless qualification in my eyes anyway ! So it seems a bit stupid that I'm going to have to take it if I go there
Original post by pak1994
I 'only' continued with Biology, Psychology and Maths to A2 (that was my plan all along) and am predicted A*AA. I also did the EPQ.

What is the EPQ like if I get in to grammar for sixth form then I'm going to have to do that but it seems pretty pointless in my opinion !
Original post by Thiscantbeblank
6 !!!! I'm going to have to do 5 if I go to gramma for sixth form but I might just stay at my current school instead as general studies is a pointless qualification in my eyes anyway ! So it seems a bit stupid that I'm going to have to take it if I go there

General studies isn't counted by any unis, and you don't really have to revise for it, so you might as well just go to the better school regardless of whether you have to do general studies as long as it doesn't affect your subject options. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes, it's too many. You don't need five. Universities will offer on the basis of 3 A2 levels.

(a) They will make offers on the basis of 3 A2 levels, but still often require a fourth AS level.

(b) "You don't need five" and "five is too many" are not equivalent statements.

OP, it is correct that you don't need five, but five is perfectly do-able if you want to. The AS level workload is not large. If you're the sort of person who is even considering doing an extra subject, you're almost certainly capable of handling it.

Original post by TenOfThem

Law often seem keen on a language

Could you substantiate that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Thiscantbeblank
What is the EPQ like if I get in to grammar for sixth form then I'm going to have to do that but it seems pretty pointless in my opinion !

It is utterly pointless. If you're interested in a subject, read about it on your own terms (and write about it in your PS). The EPQ just saps the interest out of any topic by making you carry out a load of pointless tasks, like writing a journal.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
(a) They will make offers on the basis of 3 A2 levels, but still often require a fourth AS level.

(b) "You don't need five" and "five is too many" are not equivalent statements.

OP, it is correct that you don't need five, but five is perfectly do-able if you want to. The AS level workload is not large. If you're the sort of person who is even considering doing an extra subject, you're almost certainly capable of handling it.

Could you substantiate that?

Yes, they do assume a fourth AS, usually. I should have said that. They were not intended to be equivalent statements. In my opinion, as an A level teacher and sixth form tutor, five is unnecessary and reduces the time available to do other useful and valuable things. I teach at a very selective and academically successful school and we do not encourage our students to do 4 A2s, and we do not timetable 5 in any circumstances. It does not disadvantage our students in any way. Our usual success rate after A2 results is 85% of students into their first choice institution and a further 10% into their second.
I say do 4 because 5 only gives you more stress to deal with on top of the typical A level exams stress. Also, 5 gives you no advantage what so ever for when it comes to uni.
Original post by bbbtsr
Hey, I'm starting college soon and I'm doing 5 AS levels....

I've heard that it can be extremely difficult to do because of the heavy workload and the huge leap from GCSE but I am ready to commit myself to it. I should get an A in all of the subjects I'm doing at AS at GCSE level so I am pretty good at all of the subjects I'm taking. I've spoken to my teachers about it and they pretty much said that yeah it's hard, but they believe that if I put the effort in I will be fine.... What's your opinion, is taking 5 too much?!
The subjects I'm taking are:
History
Geography
German
English Literature
Psychology

Thanks ^.^

5 AS is totally unnecessary! Do 4 and drop one to do 3 A-Levels. If your wanting to apply to university you would be better of building a stronger application by spending the free time you get not doing an extra subject but doing extra-curricular activities to show you're a well rounded applicant.

I would be wary of what your teachers say! Ultimately they want as many students to take there subject as possible (often to get the maximum amount of funding!) and don't always have your best interests at heart!!
Yes, they do assume a fourth AS, usually. I should have said that. They were not intended to be equivalent statements. In my opinion, as an A level teacher and sixth form tutor, five is unnecessary and reduces the time available to do other useful and valuable things. I teach at a very selective and academically successful school and we do not encourage our students to do 4 A2s, and we do not timetable 5 in any circumstances. It does not disadvantage our students in any way. Our usual success rate after A2 results is 85% of students into their first choice institution and a further 10% into their second.

I don't doubt your or your institution's capabilities. I agree, of course, that someone who takes four is not at a disadvantage to someone who takes five (except perhaps by diversification of risk, if they're prone to screwing up exams).

But none of this shows that five is 'too much'. Some people just are quite capable of taking five without it affecting their grades in any way, and whilst still having enough time to do other things. I personally did a fifth AS (further maths) along side my four A2s (economics, maths, law and classical civilisation), just because I liked maths, and still didn't work that much more than anyone else until the revision period, when, again, I wasn't doing anything else anyway. I can see why you have a policy against anyone doing that, because it will be the wrong choice for a lot of people and restricting it won't disadvantage anyone in university applications, but as a choice for an individual it can be perfectly fine and sensible.

Original post by dora_explorer

I would be wary of what your teachers say! Ultimately they want as many students to take there subject as possible (often to get the maximum amount of funding!) and don't always have your best interests at heart!!

Yeah, this I'd question. Certainly I've heard, and heard of, teachers making incorrect and sometimes silly suggestions (my particular gripe is 'you should not apply to oxbridge unless you have 8 A*s at GCSE', etc), but I'm fairly sure I haven't come across any who have cynically used their students.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dora_explorer
5 AS is totally unnecessary! Do 4 and drop one to do 3 A-Levels. If your wanting to apply to university you would be better of building a stronger application by spending the free time you get not doing an extra subject but doing extra-curricular activities to show you're a well rounded applicant.

I can only say I am sorry if this is your experience. I have not experienced this to be the case in the four schools I have worked at.
I don't doubt your or your institution's capabilities. I agree, of course, that someone who takes four is not at a disadvantage to someone who takes five (except perhaps by diversification of risk, if they're prone to screwing up exams).

But none of this shows that five is 'too much'. Some people just are quite capable of taking five without it affecting their grades in any way, and whilst still having enough time to do other things. I personally did a fifth AS (further maths) along side my four A2s (economics, maths, law and classical civilisation), just because I liked maths, and still didn't work that much more than anyone else until the revision period, when, again, I wasn't doing anything else anyway. I can see why you have a policy against anyone doing that, because it will be the wrong choice for a lot of people and restricting it won't disadvantage anyone in university applications, but as a choice for an individual it can be perfectly fine and sensible.

We have many pupils capable of doing more, but don't feel it advantages them to do so, and this is backed up by feedback from university admissions tutors. Every individual may make up their own mind on the matter, of course.
Original post by Sheldor
General studies isn't counted by any unis, and you don't really have to revise for it, so you might as well just go to the better school regardless of whether you have to do general studies as long as it doesn't affect your subject options. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might do though as I am doing some of the toughest A-levels like physics and chemsitry and maybe maths if I do good in it at GCSE that is and yeh I will defo apply for grammar as they give you more opportunities such as work placements and volunteering as well as giving you loads of extra support so you can get the highest possible grades
We have many pupils capable of doing more, but don't feel it advantages them to do so, and this is backed up by feedback from university admissions tutors. Every individual may make up their own mind on the matter, of course.

Firstly, your tone is quite standoffish and unnecessarily defensive. I get the impression that you're just talking past me.

To be clear (once more), I have not disputed that, in terms of university admissions, taking five subjects is no advantage, save, as I have suggested, if an individual is prone to screwing up exams and wants to mitigate that risk. If your appeal to university tutors was to demonstrate this point it was unnecessary; to any other point tutors' views are of no direct relevance.

I have suggested two things:

(a) that 'x is no advantage' does not mean that 'x is too much'. 'Too much' implies that it will not be manageable, or will impact other subjects or non-academic activities; and you appear to have conceded that this is not the case for everyone (and I put myself forward as an example of a person so unaffected); and

(b) that, this being the case, and whilst I don't dispute that, as a school, having a blanket policy against this might be sensible, taking a fifth subject because you enjoy it (or because you wish to have a back up incase you mess up) may be a perfectly sensible move for a given individual.

I would add (and this connects to and overlaps with (b)):

(c) that, whilst a fifth AS level subject may be of no direct advantage to university admissions, it may be of independent advantage; so that, for instance, if your fifth AS level is French, you have the advantage that you now know a bit of French (etc). I must say that I find the 'sixth form education is only useful insofar as it gets you into university/ a career' attitude particularly unpleasant coming from a teacher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
I did 5 (1 was compulsory):

I.T.
English Literature & Language
Ancient History
Law
Financial Studies (compulsory).

I wouldn't recommend it but I came out with an ABBCD

I'm going with your first option, thanks. Cordially.
I see you've removed it now, so I will simply say I have no time for this. I do not have any appetite for an imaginary fight.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm going with your first option, thanks. Cordially.
I see you've removed it now, so I will simply say I have no time for this. I do not have any appetite for an imaginary fight.

Yes, I decided that the options were a step too far, but I assure you that the sentiment behind them was entirely sincere. Dismissive two line responses containing nothing but appeals to authority and repetition make you look bad, your position look wrong, and other people frustrated.
Yes, I decided that the options were a step too far, but I assure you that the sentiment behind them was entirely sincere. Dismissive two line responses containing nothing but appeals to authority and repetition make you look bad, your position look wrong, and other people frustrated.

I can live with that.

Quick Reply

Latest