The Student Room Group

What to do pre phd?

Hi
I'm starting a phd in september, and don't really know what I should be doing at the moment? Would people who are doing/have done one recommend doing a lot of focused reading or wide reading or? (I am currently in an RA post, I'm not entirely just sitting around twiddling my thumbs all summer)
Also particularly for psych students and others that use programming stuff, is there a good way to learn programming etc. before being in a situation where I have actual projects and proper access to software like matlab that I can learn as I go? I've been trying to get to grips with visual basic with not a great amount of success tbh and my supervisor has mentioned that he would like me to learn to use matlab over the course of my phd so I'd kinda like to try and get a head start on it but not really sure how?
Thanks!
Reply 1
In all honestly I would relax and not think about your PhD - you have a job, so focus on that, but otherwise don't do anything PhD related.

Take a break, go on holidays, laze about in the sun on the weekends. You will have plenty of time once you start to stress about all things PhD.
Original post by mnemy
Hi
I'm starting a phd in september, and don't really know what I should be doing at the moment? Would people who are doing/have done one recommend doing a lot of focused reading or wide reading or? (I am currently in an RA post, I'm not entirely just sitting around twiddling my thumbs all summer)
Also particularly for psych students and others that use programming stuff, is there a good way to learn programming etc. before being in a situation where I have actual projects and proper access to software like matlab that I can learn as I go? I've been trying to get to grips with visual basic with not a great amount of success tbh and my supervisor has mentioned that he would like me to learn to use matlab over the course of my phd so I'd kinda like to try and get a head start on it but not really sure how?
Thanks!

I am not starting a PhD myself, but have lots of friends who are and to be honest they all seem to be having lazy summers, or more often hectic summers trying to fit in all the partying and holidaying they can before the next big slog.

So I say enjoy yourself and don't stress about it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending