The Student Room Group

Can I apply for two courses at one university?

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to apply to two courses at one university? (As two of my places), as I wanted to apply for both Psychology and Psychology with English Language :smile:

Also this part is kind of irrelevant, but figured I could ask while im here (you dont have to answer) do you think having a Joint Honours degree in oppose to a full psychology degree could disadvantage me if I wanted to become a clinical psychologist in the future?

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Yes, you can apply to do 2 courses at one uni.
The head of my old 6th form wasnt that overly keen on people doing it, but that was more for if you where going to apply for 2 totally different courses (but as the 2 you are going to apply for are similar, that doesnt apply to you).
Reply 2
Yep I had a friend who loved a uni so much she applied for two different courses there- like you, a single honours and a joint honours. I would advise that you find out which department manages the psychology and english course; if the pyschology department manages it, then just bear in mind that if the department doesnt like your personal statement or something, then this jeopardises two of your UCAS choices, as you have put all of your eggs in one basket, if you will. On the flipside, also give applicant numbers a check for the two courses, as applications per place (although there are fewer places) for joint honours are generally lower, which can give you a better chance of getting in, and therefore ensuring you get a place at the uni if you don't get on the single honours course.
On the joint honours course, you need to check the course description very carefully to see if you get accreditation on the psychology side. If you don't then you may have to do a further course to gain the relevant accreditation required to become a clinical pyschologist.
Best of luck! :smile:
You can, but it's not really advisable. That said, my own son (and I'm a careers adviser!) applied for 3 very closely related courses at the same university and got offers for all three of them, but this was back in 2004 when you could have 6 choices. I would definitely not recommend it nowadays because the same admissions tutors are going to be looking at your application if they are to the same department and are likely these days to just offer on one of them, which makes the other a wasted choice. If they are not to the same department, be aware that both departments will see the other application and question your commitment. This only applies to courses within the same university. They can't see which other universities you have applied to. Best advice I can give is to decide what you really want and focus on that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending