The Student Room Group

Where to start?

Ok, so I've always wanted to do medicine. I don't even know if it's possible for me or how to go about it but here goes:

I'm 19, currently working full time in hospitality. I am a carer for my mum and two younger siblings. I had wanted to do medicine when I was at school, but my mum's health deteriorated and I also lost a good friend in the year of my highers. The year after was still difficult as I was more and more busy with family stuff, plus I'd started working. I had around 25% attendance that year. So in the end I got BCCCC and then ABBD.

I got into uni to do biomedical science, but I failed first year and left. I was stressed and unhappy and couldn't enjoy the social side to uni. I found the whole thing a very lonely and depressing experience. At the interview I was told that due to my family commitments if I found it too much I could drop modules and go part-time. When I approached my lecturer about this she said I'd have to drop out and then re-apply as part time.

I don't mind my job, it's just not what I want to do.

Is there any route into medicine for me?
(edited 10 years ago)
It seems you've had a really hard few years! To me, it seems your best option would be to e-mail universities directly and ask their policies on extenuating circumstances. Every university has a different requirement, and different extenuating circumstance situations. Your grades don't seem too far off the requirements (AAA), so you may still have a chance! Best of luck.

COP

Original post by AJ Smiley
Ok, so I've always wanted to do medicine. I don't even know if it's possible for me or how to go about it but here goes:

I'm 19, currently working full time in hospitality. I am a carer for my mum and two younger siblings. I had wanted to do medicine when I was at school, but my mum's health deteriorated and I also lost a good friend to suicide in the year of my highers. The year after was still difficult as I was more and more busy with family stuff, plus I'd started working. I had around 25% attendance that year. So in the end I got BCCCC and then ABBD.

I got into uni to do biomedical science, but I failed first year and left. I was stressed and unhappy and couldn't enjoy the social side to uni. I found the whole thing a very lonely and depressing experience. At the interview I was told that due to my family commitments if I found it too much I could drop modules and go part-time. When I approached my lecturer about this she said I'd have to drop out and then re-apply as part time.

I don't mind my job, it's just not what I want to do.

Is there any route into medicine for me?
I think you need to be realistic, and think about whether your previous experiences of university suggest if you would be able to cope with a more strenuous degree like medicine. The only route you can go down -- besides sitting your A-levels again and having few choices, or doing another degree -- is an access course. Here you'd need to achieve roughly 75% or better on the course, equivalent to A-levels, and then you're eligible for an interview at a medical school. Look up the course at Bradford, but like I said -- and sorry to put a downer on things -- consider whether you truly think it's the best idea.
Reply 3
I'm currently in last year of school and not sure what to do at uni. My subjects are biology, chemistry, maths and spanish. Considering medicine but at this late stage if I'm not sure does this mean I don't really want it?
Original post by Emj4895
I'm currently in last year of school and not sure what to do at uni. My subjects are biology, chemistry, maths and spanish. Considering medicine but at this late stage if I'm not sure does this mean I don't really want it?

If you're only just considering medicine, you're gonna have a hard time arranging all the work experience and voluntary work needed to fill out your personal statement. When would you be applying?
Reply 5
No that doesn't mean that at all, you may have to take a year out though, to gain more experience. Goods luck!

Does anyone have any advice? Would unis take a college course for undergraduate such as HNC?
No that doesn't mean that at all, you may have to take a year out though, to gain more experience. Goods luck!

Does anyone have any advice? Would unis take a college course for undergraduate such as HNC?

I'm being honest here, but the only way you'll get in now is through an access course or a 2:1 degree, but you dropped out of the latter so it's not a realistic option. An access course is your best bet, but please think about whether you could handle the pressures of a medical course.
Reply 7
Original post by MJK91
I'm being honest here, but the only way you'll get in now is through an access course or a 2:1 degree, but you dropped out of the latter so it's not a realistic option. An access course is your best bet, but please think about whether you could handle the pressures of a medical course.

I am fairly sure I would stand as much chance as anyone else at handling the pressures of a medical degree. In my standard grades I achieved 6 1's and A's in the two Int. 2's I sat that year, I also sat English a year early and got a 1. So academically I am capable of succeeding in exams.

In my last years at school and first year of uni I was working 30+ hours a week, often nightshifts, plus juggling school runs, homework, hospital appointments, and dealing with my dad being an abusive alcoholic. Not to mention everyday things such as washing ironing, cooking, cleaning etc. for 5 people. And THEN fitting study in (although this was rare, I was too knackered). I reckon that's me got work ethic covered, plus probably dealing with stress and time management.

Now, my family life is more stable and I'd most likely move away to focus on uni. Would my highers still be valid after 3 years? If I were to go to night classes and do them again would they still be considered resits after 3 years? If I sat distance learning A levels, would they be considered 1st sitting for english unis?
I am fairly sure I would stand as much chance as anyone else at handling the pressures of a medical degree. In my standard grades I achieved 6 1's and A's in the two Int. 2's I sat that year, I also sat English a year early and got a 1. So academically I am capable of succeeding in exams.

In my last years at school and first year of uni I was working 30+ hours a week, often nightshifts, plus juggling school runs, homework, hospital appointments, and dealing with my dad being an abusive alcoholic. Not to mention everyday things such as washing ironing, cooking, cleaning etc. for 5 people. And THEN fitting study in (although this was rare, I was too knackered). I reckon that's me got work ethic covered, plus probably dealing with stress and time management.

Now, my family life is more stable and I'd most likely move away to focus on uni. Would my highers still be valid after 3 years? If I were to go to night classes and do them again would they still be considered resits after 3 years? If I sat distance learning A levels, would they be considered 1st sitting for english unis?

But you have to consider how it will look from an admissions perspective. You can't hide your previous degree or grades on the UCAS form, so I fear they will look at it and think "already dropped out, not a good choice".

I'm not saying that to be horrible, I'm trying to be constructive. Unless your PS is literally perfect and explains why you deserve a second chance, you'll find it tough. Don't rely on getting to interview to explain it because it might not get that far.

You say you're covered in terms of stress and time management, but you ultimately had to drop out. I don't know what else to tell you; you're welcome to try applying but your PS will have to be outstanding.
You can neg me all you like, it's still true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending