Keele

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yh actually i'm quite interested to know that too
Oh and keele is between birmingham and manchester
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
There's a good mix of people from all over the place. It seems to be popular with Londoners and I'm from just down the road (Stafford - another place no one has heard of)!
Reply 3
I think there's a pretty good mix. I'm a Northerner and I don't see Keele as being in the North. Unfortunately Stoke is an unwanted place- northerners think it's the midlands and midlanders seem to think it's too far north!
Reply 4
Anything North of Oxford is north.

Sorted.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Northeners personally, but an important element in me declining my offer from Keele was that I felt it was just too 'up North.' I've never lived in the North of England and I just felt I wouldn't be comfortable there and I'd always feel like a little bit of an outsider as I'm really a Southern girl at heart. Do any Southeners in Keele ever feel like this? Or did I just over react a little!
Reply 6
Yeh, sometimes you are treated like one too, especially if you have money...which is unfortunate but you have to live with it.

It doesn't and didn't put me of Keele tho, its an awesome place and you have made a mistake declining...in my completely unbiased opinion :tongue:

I thought Sussex was a 60s dump that needed serious investment, but i guess everyone has their preferences, if it feels right then it probably is. Keele didn't feel right for you and Sussex did then thats all good :biggrin:

Sorry, i'm coming across like a right *******, i am not meaning to, just voicing my opinion...which is probably wrong but you know god damn!

Graham
You weren't really coming across as a complet ******* (for the life of me I can't work out what that stands for!:p: )

But harsh much saying Sussex is a "60s dump that needed serious investment" :frown: I didn't attack Keele!

Awww I'm feeling all defensive of Sussex that has to be a good sign that it's right for me! hehe, although I must admit that it does seem to have a few money problems at the mo.... hmmmmm anyway a little bit off the subject sorry- I believe this was a thread about Keele?
Reply 8
I'm from Kent and we always have Northern and Southern arguments over the most trivial things, like how to pronounce 'bath'....?!?!! Phff... clearly
"baaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrth" !!!
Reply 9
It's sop pronounced Bath not barth,
No it's baaarth. Bath (as in splash- yeah i know not a real rhyme!!:rolleyes: ) is more of an effort to say, you kind of have to tense more muscles in order to pronounce it, where as baaarth (ovbiously not as drawn out and pronounced as that) kind of just falls out of your mouth.

On a slightly seperate isue, do you say scone as in stone or scone as in gone?? I say the scone as in stone and I think that scone/gone sounds a lot more posh but others thinkg scone/stone sounds more posh. Anyone care to add any fuel to the fire?:smile:
Reply 11
right before i go any further i first have to qualify that I am a londoner because i know northern people say Bath. AND IT IS BATH! haha! Scone is pronounced the stone way for me if it was the other way it would be spelt scon. Remember the magic e rule?! scone/stone!

*end of rant* LOL
Arrrrgh!! "Baaaarth" !!!!

We also had a debate over what was a roll and what was a bread-cake, and when was dinner (lunch apparently) and when was tea (dinner!), oh, and pop?! Fizzy drinks?!

Chuffin' Hell....

Oh, and my friend from Yorkshire calls farting, 'trumping'; needless to say, us Southerners found that hilariously funny.
Reply 13
It's bath, scone/gone, dinner and tea, bread rolls can be baps or barms, oh and trousers-northerners call them pants (so much confusion!!)

Hehe trumping-haven't heard anyone say that in ages-definately been here too long!
No yanks call trousers pants. They're trousers all over the country.
Oh yeah, pants!! And underpants! Trousers are called pants because underwear are UNDERpants... apparently!
Reply 16
ITS BATH! and scone/stone! i understand a bread roll but whats a bread cake?!
ps pants is so much better than trousers
Reply 17
sleepy_person!
You weren't really coming across as a complet ******* (for the life of me I can't work out what that stands for!:p: )

But harsh much saying Sussex is a "60s dump that needed serious investment" :frown: I didn't attack Keele!

Awww I'm feeling all defensive of Sussex that has to be a good sign that it's right for me! hehe, although I must admit that it does seem to have a few money problems at the mo.... hmmmmm anyway a little bit off the subject sorry- I believe this was a thread about Keele?

a s s h o l e :biggrin:

Yeh i know, sorry!

The connection between mouth and brain is a very loose one and is rarely used which means that the mouth says or writes something way before the brain has time to process that and scan it for anything that might be rude. Dreadfully sorry for my complete lack of ability in this field!

Yeh, if you are defending the place then definately right for you! I am not criticising your decision, just giving my thoughts on the place which were not needed nor were they meant to attack you.

yeh back to Keele

Its Baarth, but its scone as in stone. It goes better when you say scones and cream...try it, go on!

People in Stoke also have a weird fetish with calling everyone a duck...dw if you are not from Stoke and you get called it, you don't look like a duck, its just a weird way of saying like 'thats ok, love' which us southerners do, their equivalent is 'thats alright, duck'

I have never asked what was the fetish/fascination with ducks maybe i should when i next go up...

Graham
Reply 18
gbduo
Anything North of Oxford is north.

Sorted.

Anything south of Manchester is south. Sound.
Reply 19
Wait so if anything North of Oxford is North, and anything south of Manchester is South...whats the bit inbetween!? I mean, its like the middle of nowhere...so in reality Keele is actually in no mans land, in a void between north and south, where no one really knows where they actually come from, just some place between the North and South, but a bit to the west near Wales.

God...i feel sorry for people who have to live there!

Graham

For those that think i am seriously blonde at this point, i know that it is called the Midlands :wink:

Latest