The Student Room Group

Ending it

Right my girlfriend lives too far away for me to legitimately get to her place, and break up with her and leave. I know that is a bit harsh of me, but I am not in any position to actually go anywhere as I can't drive.

She lives about 15 miles away from me, we've been together just over a month, so it is nothing serious. But I don't have a car, so I can't get to hers easily, a taxi would be astronomical, I can't exactly ask someone to drive me 30 odd miles (even if I did pay for petrol, I wouldn't feel right).

So my question is, is it okay to end a relationship over the phone?

I mean given it's not gotten serious enough, maybe? Opinions from anyone is appreciated.
Reply 1
Phone would be preferred over text or other online messaging.
Reply 2
Original post by Post-grad
Phone would be preferred over text or other online messaging.

I wouldn't dare do it over text or any kind of IM. I just want to know whether over the phone is acceptable over doing it in person.
Reply 3
Skype/Facetime
Reply 4
What's been said and done so far? No real commitment either side, could just let it dwindle or 'Dear John' letter. Otherwise phone is a minimum and face to face more honourable if she had expectations. Put yourself in her shoes and decide whats appropriate.
Reply 5
Original post by Alex360
Skype/Facetime

Even better!
15 miles isnt exactly a long distance relationship, oh what mountains you must traverse, what rivers you must cross, what perils your must suffer to see her and do it face to face!
Original post by Anonymous
Right my girlfriend lives too far away for me to legitimately get to her place, and break up with her and leave. I know that is a bit harsh of me, but I am not in any position to actually go anywhere as I can't drive.

She lives about 15 miles away from me, we've been together just over a month, so it is nothing serious. But I don't have a car, so I can't get to hers easily, a taxi would be astronomical, I can't exactly ask someone to drive me 30 odd miles (even if I did pay for petrol, I wouldn't feel right).

So my question is, is it okay to end a relationship over the phone?

I mean given it's not gotten serious enough, maybe? Opinions from anyone is appreciated.

Yes it's perfectly fine to end a relationship (a short and non-serious one to) over the phone if all other options are just unrealistic.

I'm sure you're aware being straight forward but polite is the best approach so I won;t give you any advice about that part.

Best of luck OP.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
What's been said and done so far? No real commitment either side, could just let it dwindle or 'Dear John' letter. Otherwise phone is a minimum and face to face more honourable if she had expectations. Put yourself in her shoes and decide whats appropriate.

She's been far too committed in the short time we've been together and it has really scared me, I know that makes me sounds like an idiot. But I'm 19, she's 17, and already she's talking about marriage.

I am also a bit of a commitaphobe. Or you know a complete *******, either way, I still have Uni to even start, and being with someone who wants to marry me at this stage of life is a bit... over the top?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
She's been far too committed in the short time we've been together and it has really scared me, I know that makes me sounds like an idiot. But I'm 19, she's 17, and already she's talking about marriage.

I am also a bit of a commitaphobe. Or you know a complete *******, either way, I still have Uni to even start, and being with someone who wants to marry me at this stage of life is a bit... over the top?

I think phone could be ok after a month and in the circumstances. The most hurtful thing, in my experience, is going cold and giving no explanation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending