The Student Room Group

Stuck on what career to aim for/what to do in life now that I dont want to be a nurse

Just qualified as a nurse last year (in mental health) but am not really passionate about nursing. I dont think nursing is for me because I dont really have the interest nor personal qualities (if im honest im very much an introvert who preferes thinking to doing and not overly keen on chit chat, im fairly slow to process things). Im very interested in mental illness/psychology but not the vocational side of it where you need to be a very fast thinker/think on your feet. I would like to complete a psychology degree with the Open uni which will take quite a long time despite them giving me credit transfer. I would like to keep my options open and aim for something maybe in forensic psychology or if I dont get good classification maybe a primary teacher. In the meantime I plan on working as a nurse assistant with an agency/bank or full time if I can get it.

I just wondered though are my plans odd in some way I mean for example if in several years I wanted to go into forensic psychology (if i somehow got the grades lol) would the employers think it odd that I didnt want to work as a qualified nurse? Id have to say something like Ive wanted to go into psychology for a long time but didnt want to quit the nursing course.

So yea Im at a loss at the moment, I might not even use the psychology degree for anything but will be in debt. I want to aim for a career which is more suited for an introvert as thats what I am. I enjoy working alone really.
Reply 1
Why do you think that forensic psychology or primary teaching would suit an introvert better than your current career? They are both careers that require a lot of interaction with other people...and both require you to think on your feet quickly, as with most jobs dealing with people.

But I don't think your mental health nursing experience will work against you, especially for something like psychology. It may even give you an advantage.
Reply 2
Original post by Jas_k
Why do you think that forensic psychology or primary teaching would suit an introvert better than your current career? They are both careers that require a lot of interaction with other people...and both require you to think on your feet quickly, as with most jobs dealing with people.

But I don't think your mental health nursing experience will work against you, especially for something like psychology. It may even give you an advantage.

Obviously parts overlap you have to think on your feet to an extent thats what all jobs require but a psychologists role is more about analysing, planning care and working with clients using psychological models over the long term. Its the psychology Im interested in more than the nursing. Nursing also involves this except being based on a ward you are also expected to respond to psychiatric emergiencies, administer rapid tranq/restraint, administer medication on a busy ward whilst clients who are sectioned are demanding to leave. As with all jobs documentation/paperwork has to be done to a tight deadline except you don't get set time to do this as you are constantly providing care/responding to situations, ringing around to try and get staff to cover the next shift and the phone never stops.

For arguments sake lets say psychology is the same as this, its a fairly flexible degree (correct me if im wrong) there are other things that you can do with it. I was looking up 'careers for introverts' lol and criminologist/psychologist came up whereas nursing was the total opposite.

You are right though these careers are all about interaction but for someone who likes psychology what jobs would you say are best suited?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending