The Student Room Group

It's about time someone blew this **** wide open...

Scroll to see replies

I don't like wearing flip flops anyway, they make one of my feet feel crooked at an angle when I walk plus they break too easily and are not comfortable...glad I don't own any anymore
Reply 61
Original post by dhutch
I hate flip flops with a passion, but equally, struggle to see how they can harm your feet. Assuming they fit ok surely they are no worse than bare feet, which are designed to work...

If talking about things that are nice to wear that arnt shoes/boots/trainers/whatever, while ugly as sin and really quite dad-ish if find these pretty good, shale beaches, etc.

mmDgoZh0DtzeoKg6OFGWvDg.jpg

Daniel

when I was backpacking, we used to have to down our beer if another fellow backpacker walked by the bar with 'douche bag shoes' on, that particular style being douche bag shoes.
I've always hated how most of them have that bit that goes between your big and second toes. Are the kind which doesn't have this even considered a flip flop?
Original post by Snagprophet
I've always hated how most of them have that bit that goes between your big and second toes. Are the kind which doesn't have this even considered a flip flop?

I think they're called slides or mules.
I don't see the kids in Africa complaining about wearing flip flops, instead of shoes or bare feet, since its airy and too hot to wear shoes, and offers some protection.
Reply 65
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I've been worried about flip flops for a long time. I'm relieved to see action on it at last.

At last, we might now be able to move on to the problem of the mankini.

Does anyone actually wear those except for a joke, themed night out etc?

Crocs are a much more pressing issue.
Reply 66
Your feet have to carry you for the rest of your life... so why do people damage them with ridiculous footwear (and i'm not just talking about flipflops, but high heels, platforms, tiny shoes that look flattering etc) that only look good yet will, given time, wreck your feet?

Get a decent set of boots and wear them in. if you look after them, they will look after you.
Reply 67
Original post by simon_g
they are comfy. and creepy :P
and "converse" like shoes, although much better than "standard" runners, are not as good as these.
also you can get them in various styles and colors- including the casual one, in brown/black etc, so they would be hard to notice (at first).
nothing beats them for running/gym!

I run barefoot on grass and in Asics trainers with arch support on the road (I over pronate like a fiend), and lift in a battered pair of chucks - flat, hard soles for stable lifting and still comfortable.
No need for toe-shoes! :tongue:
I struggle to walk flat footed, my feet are size 7/8 so it much easier in heels... I cant wear trainers, converse, flip flops, ballet pumps etc... flattest I can go is cowboy boots or army boots

I recently tried flip flop style sandals, they where agony - kept falling off, kept triping me up, rubbed off all the skin on the sesative bit of the toes, hurt the damaged bone in my foot, offer no protection when standing on stones/gravel and killed my calf muscles

they are possibly the stupidest things ever invented, they serve no purpose and its better, safe and more confortable to go bare foot
Original post by Ham22
I fail to see how walking with flat footwear causes problems. And if that is the case then maybe we should consider the possibility that human feet aren't fit for purpose.

in the wild we would walk as we do now, the built up environment is completely man made from the likes of concrete, tarmac and other unnaturally hard surfaces - walk bare foot on grass and its very comfortable even after an hour our so, walk bare foot on solid tarmac/concrete you will be in pain pretty quickly... that's why we now need cushioning on our feet
Reply 70
Original post by rattusratus
in the wild we would walk as we do now, the built up environment is completely man made from the likes of concrete, tarmac and other unnaturally hard surfaces - walk bare foot on grass and its very comfortable even after an hour our so, walk bare foot on solid tarmac/concrete you will be in pain pretty quickly... that's why we now need cushioning on our feet

Yes and no. It is possible to do both. You need to let your feet work as if they were barefoot, but with cushioning. And plenty of shoe makers do just that. Best of both worlds.
Reply 71
Original post by Gillybop
when I was backpacking, we used to have to down our beer if another fellow backpacker walked by the bar with 'douche bag shoes' on, that particular style being douche bag shoes.

Good job I don't got backpacking then isn't it!
I hate flip flops, especially when the person has manky feet or toe nails.
Reply 73
Original post by simon_g
VIB24_400_1.jpg ftw!
They look cool but they're too expensive.
I have seen this one guy walking around sheffield without any shoes or flip flops.

Hipster king by looks of it.
Wear flip flops everyday to work and my feet are fine
Original post by tomclarky
Wear flip flops everyday to work and my feet are fine

Are you a lifeguard or something?
Original post by Apocrypha
Are you a lifeguard or something?

No i take money for deckchairs on Bournemouth Beach
Reply 78
Only wear flip-flops when I'm walking on hard surfaces or rocky paths, apart from that I go barefoot (Only when it's hot though) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending