The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NikoB
Aberdeen, Manchester and UEA :smile:
have you thought of your final four yet?

Definitely applying here.
might apply for a104 UEA again. (got an interview last year, with worse application)
Then im debating whether to apply for aberdeen, leicester. Wanted to apply for Manchester so badly but just dont wanna take the risk.

I might apply for St andrews but they say competitive applicants have A*AA and 8As at gcses. I have 4A*, 3As, 1B, 1C. I was 4 Ums of my A* in biology (could of got it if my teacher let me retake unit 4!!) But reapplicants score higher. So i dont know about that one. I sent them an email to ask them, just waiting on a reply.
Reply 61
Original post by NikoB
I would have chosen Leeds too but the 4k applicants from last year put me off :/

Thats the same reason why I'm not applying too! You just don't know how many of them have amazing UKCAT's and academics:/
Reply 62
Original post by NikoB

You decided to apply to Exeter yet? I'm also applying to Manchester and probably UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
Definitely applying here.
might apply for a104 UEA again. (got an interview last year, with worse application)
Then im debating whether to apply for aberdeen, leicester. Wanted to apply for Manchester so badly but just dont wanna take the risk.

I might apply for St andrews but they say competitive applicants have A*AA and 8As at gcses. I have 4A*, 3As, 1B, 1C. I was 4 Ums of my A* in biology (could of got it if my teacher let me retake unit 4!!) But reapplicants score higher. So i dont know about that one. I sent them an email to ask them, just waiting on a reply.

I think Leicester might be risky, Aberdeen look at A2 and UKCAT(achieved grades given more points)
lol I know what you mean, I applied to kcl 6 year course with a worse application last year, mucked up the interview but don't wana stay in London anyways :biggrin:
st Andrews is risky, I wouldn't apply if I were you :redface:

Original post by Jimmmyw
Thats the same reason why I'm not applying too! You just don't know how many of them have amazing UKCAT's and academics:/

I know right! Also Leeds don't do SSCs which is a thumbs down from me :unimpressed:
Original post by SuziieB
You decided to apply to Exeter yet? I'm also applying to Manchester and probably UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have indeed. They don't look at sub tests.
looks like we could be applying to the same unis, have you decided on your fourth?
Reply 65
Hey all, I just thought I would concur with Nico :smile: having spoken to both the admission team twice and have a long email from them but I'll paste the relevant part for all of you to see: 'Applicants will be required to meet the minimum overall set threshold score and satisfy the academic requirements in order to be invited to attend an interview. I can confirm that we will not take into consideration the sub-test scores for 2014 entry.' Voila :redface:
Reply 66
Original post by NikoB
I have indeed. They don't look at sub tests.
looks like we could be applying to the same unis, have you decided on your fourth?

Plymouth, I've decided I might as well kill two birds with one stone (not literally :tongue:)

I wasn't going to apply to an mmi school ever since my interview at Leicester, but there's not many schools left that don't so I might as well have another go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PG593
Hey all, I just thought I would concur with Nico :smile: having spoken to both the admission team twice and have a long email from them but I'll paste the relevant part for all of you to see: 'Applicants will be required to meet the minimum overall set threshold score and satisfy the academic requirements in order to be invited to attend an interview. I can confirm that we will not take into consideration the sub-test scores for 2014 entry.' Voila :redface:

:nutcase:
Original post by SuziieB
Plymouth, I've decided I might as well kill two birds with one stone (not literally :tongue:)

I wasn't going to apply to an mmi school ever since my interview at Leicester, but there's not many schools left that don't so I might as well have another go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plymouth look at sub test. :frown: stupid VR :angry:
well you have 2 interviews in the bag probably :tongue:
yeah a lot of schools are using mmi and rightly so (I hate them) but that's how our medical exams will be OSCE style :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by NikoB
I think Leicester might be risky, Aberdeen look at A2 and UKCAT(achieved grades given more points)
lol I know what you mean, I applied to kcl 6 year course with a worse application last year, mucked up the interview but don't wana stay in London anyways :biggrin:
st Andrews is risky, I wouldn't apply if I were you :redface:

I know right! Also Leeds don't do SSCs which is a thumbs down from me :unimpressed:

yeah i guess your right about St Andrews lol i just feel like i've just missed out on putting a good application forward to them. :frown:
Im from Manchester its good around here you'd enjoy it the night life is awesome.

leicester you get points of 30 for ukcat. 30 for academic attainment and then 30 points for PS & Reference. Top scores out of 90 invited to interview. ( I dont know what kind of scored i'd get though)

For Aberdeen i read that 30% academic attainment, 20% ukcat and then top 700 interviewed and interview is worth 50%

I'm getting to the point where i dont care where i go lol just wanna do medicine :tongue:
Reply 69
Original post by NikoB

yeah a lot of schools are using mmi and rightly so (I hate them) but that's how our medical exams will be OSCE style :smile:

The only good thing about MMI is the time goes by so quickly you dont even realise!
Reply 70
Original post by NikoB

Oh, how'd you know they have sub test cut offs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by NikoB

Yes thats why I like Newcastle and Exeter!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
yeah i guess your right about St Andrews lol i just feel like i've just missed out on putting a good application forward to them. :frown:
Im from Manchester its good around here you'd enjoy it the night life is awesome.

leicester you get points of 30 for ukcat. 30 for academic attainment and then 30 points for PS & Reference. Top scores out of 90 invited to interview. ( I dont know what kind of scored i'd get though)

For Aberdeen i read that 30% academic attainment, 20% ukcat and then top 700 interviewed and interview is worth 50%

I'm getting to the point where i dont care where i go lol just wanna do medicine :tongue:

I thought it was just 60 for UKCAT and academics together :s-smilie:

nah Aberdeen have changed, I'm sure it's just A2 and UKCAT. A medic posted in the thread and told us :smile:
exactly, I'm in London and Scotland isn't ideal but who cares!
Original post by bad8oy
The only good thing about MMI is the time goes by so quickly you dont even realise!

True but you can't settle!
Original post by SuziieB
Oh, how'd you know they have sub test cut offs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read it on their website :sad:
Reply 73
hey, i really wana know what the ukcat scores are for those applying to exeter or plymouth. what have you guys got.. good luck
Original post by NikoB

Omg! I'm applying to those too!!

I put HYMS too. Finally sent it off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by letsbehonest
Omg! I'm applying to those too!!

I put HYMS too. Finally sent it off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha sweet. :colone:
Reply 76
Original post by NikoB
I thought it was just 60 for UKCAT and academics together :s-smilie:

nah Aberdeen have changed, I'm sure it's just A2 and UKCAT. A medic posted in the thread and told us :smile:
exactly, I'm in London and Scotland isn't ideal but who cares!

True but you can't settle!

I read it on their website :sad:

That's should be ok then. :smile:
Do you have any idea how much weighting Aberdeen put on ukcat?

But if your having a really bad Interview and its not mmi then you know your screwed aha.
If we can get 4 interviews hopefully we can turn at least one into an offer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
That's should be ok then. :smile:
Do you have any idea how much weighting Aberdeen put on ukcat?

But if your having a really bad Interview and its not mmi then you know your screwed aha.
If we can get 4 interviews hopefully we can turn at least one into an offer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

40% preinterview and if you get to interview stage, UKCAT will be 20% weighting!

Haha ikr :tongue:
Yeah just need to convert our chances to offers. :perv:
Reply 78
Anyone know places to offers/intervies ratio?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by king101
Brother, I got 635. So were both in the same boat. I am also a resit applicant so I hope we would be safe applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your stats if you dont mind me asking. I'm also a resitter...freaking physics :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending