The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2014

For all those who are applying to this medical school, subscribe!!! :smile:

Edit: I just got an offer through clearing to study medicine at plymouth peninsula medical school, however i will still be of assistance to any of you that need help with your application, please feel free to email/fb/message me.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feel free to ask about any aspect of the course, location, teaching hospitals or social life. I am going to be going into my fourth year so I will be able to answer any of your questions.

Here is some information about the course.

About BMBS @ Exeter (Peninsula)

BMBS Programme
•Fully integrated (100 per cent integrated)
•Community-based programme (25 - 49 per cent of curriculum)
•Problem-based (75 - 99 per cent of curriculum used for student-activating learning and teaching methods)

Number of years of the programme which include clinical training: 5
Clinical training is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

Number of years of the programme which include time with real patients: 5
Time with patients is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

BMBS Course Overview

Exeter (Peninsula) Medical School’s approach to medical education is both innovative and progressive, with a strong focus on independent learning and innovative teaching methods. Learning at Exeter is primarily structured around fortnightly case units which underpin and springboard learning. Problem Based Learning (PBL) and Life Sciences Resource Centre (LSRC) sessions are the main tools which support the case units and facilitate learning. These are then integrated with clinical skills sessions, community placements and jigsaw sessions which help to develop clinical reasoning and functional medical knowledge.

Problem Based Learning

Problem Based Learning is a concept which has evolved a great deal since the 1980s when it was first introduced into UK Medical curriculum. It is now far more structured than it used to be.

The main misconception among applicants and some students is that PBL is a teaching method. This is not true.

- PBL is a tool used alongside other teaching methods to increase engagement with the content being learnt and enhance retention. It is not a stand alone tool. Even at the most PBL oriented schools (e.g - Manchester/Exeter/Plymouth etc.) it only makes up less than 30% of teaching time, the rest is more traditional large and small group didactic and interactive teaching.

PBL as a Teaching Method?

PBL on its own is useless.

It cannot be a standalone method for knowledge acquisition/teaching at the Pre-clinical level. Therefore, now no medical course uses PBL on its own, it is always complimented with other teaching methods.

Even at medical schools which have a highly PBL-based curriculum (e.g Manchester, Exeter, Plymouth, HYMS, UEA), it is not used on its own. A variety of other learning tools are also used in conjunction with PBL, i.e seminars, large group didactic teaching, small/large group interactive teaching and of course self-directed study.

Also the types of PBL used currently across the UK are a far cry from the original PBL models originally implemented. Originally PBL was intended to be a solely student oriented unstructured activity where students worked together through a series of clinical problems.

This is not the case now, PBL is now far more structured with clinicians facilitating the sessions, students are provided with a more structured study guide and a study guide/syllabus of the basic science content which should covered by lectures/seminars, tutorials and in self-study is available.

Is PBL and Advantage or a Disadvantage?

Within a format as described above and a well functioning group, PBL works fantastically well. Even within PBL groups which are awful with poor facilitation the other aspects of so called PBL-based courses provide a net to prevent a lack of learning.

The main disadvantage of PBL courses is that people can fall through the net, and easily get through (year 1 and 2) without learning a lot of the basics.

The Future of PBL?

This does not mean that PBL based courses are the way forward. However, the benefits PBL provides students in terms of team dynamics, adaptability, communications skills cannot be denied and not to mention the ability to find, select and use appropriate resources to acquire medical knowledge (pre-clinical and clinical) whilst evaluating the validity of those resources. (Wikipedia has its use but its is not an ideal resource and is rarely used as a standalone resource but merely a starting point)

For these reasons there has recently been an increase in structured small group learning across the majority of all UK medical schools, all you need to do is look at the new/updated course structures several medical schools have been implementing over the last few years. (UCL and Cardiff spring to mind)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
How does the St. Luke's campus compare to the streathman, I am worried med students may be a bit isolated from the rest of the uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Ravin429
How does the St. Luke's campus compare to the streathman, I am worried med students may be a bit isolated from the rest of the uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Luke's if far smaller, and you are isolated from other students at the university, except the allied health students (sports science, physio etc)

There are enough medical students for it to not matter anyway, plus main campus is not that far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by carcinoma
St Luke's if far smaller, and you are isolated from other students at the university, except the allied health students (sports science, physio etc)

There are enough medical students for it to not matter anyway, plus main campus is not that far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info, also I can't decide the strengths needed for Exeter in terms if application, do you know, I can't seem to work it out based on their website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi.I want to apply here amongst others but wondered what my chances are with GCSEs 6A*,5A and AABB at AS (History,Biology,Chemistry and Maths respectively)(I am planning to drop Maths for A2) and should get AAA predicted at A2 for the others.I got a UKCAT of 710.
What are my chances??
Reply 6
Original post by Chapper
Hi.I want to apply here amongst others but wondered what my chances are with GCSEs 6A*,5A and AABB at AS (History,Biology,Chemistry and Maths respectively)(I am planning to drop Maths for A2) and should get AAA predicted at A2 for the others.I got a UKCAT of 710.
What are my chances??

Well you meet the entry requirements and have a good UKCAT.

So assuming you meet the subsection scores in the UKCAT, you should have quite a good chance of getting an interview.

Subsection scores are no longer used for the 2014 cycle onwards, just total score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm a resit applicant. Got 6A* 3As at IGCSE, A*A*BB at A level first time round, in Urdu(taken at the end of yr 12) , Biology, Chemistry and maths respectively. Resitting maths and chemistry and have A*A predictions. Got 670 in ukcat first time, so can hopefully pull it up to about 700, do some volunteering and nhs work experience and stand an alright chance of interview :smile: Good luck to everyone else applying!
Reply 8
What were the ukcat sub-section cut off scores for 2013? And would I be at a disadvantage with ABBC at AS despite a good ukcat (720) and gcse's (8A*s 2A's) , and AAA A2 prediction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Definitely applying here!
Reply 10
Just had a check at their website and definitely going to apply here :biggrin: Does anyone know the weighting on the Academic Profile/UKCAT?
Reply 11
Original post by PG593
Just had a check at their website and definitely going to apply here :biggrin: Does anyone know the weighting on the Academic Profile/UKCAT?

They dont care much about gcses, 7cs to include eng lang and maths min. They tend to like people with achieved a level grades of at least AAA and they are very likely to get an interview offer even if the ukcat isnt that good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Hanz_a93
They dont care much about gcses, 7cs to include eng lang and maths min. They tend to like people with achieved a level grades of at least AAA and they are very likely to get an interview offer even if the ukcat isnt that good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, happy to have the grades then :biggrin: What is the interview like?
Reply 13
Yay! I'm a re applicant and I have achieved grades!! I noticed as well that most people last year with interviews were re applicants :s-smilie: don't know why...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Candidates applying with predicted or achieved A levels will also be required to sit the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT). This is a non-science based aptitude test which will measure your critical thinking, problem-solving skills, empathy and learning techniques. Applications will be sorted according to academic profile and overall UKCAT score in order to determine which applicants will receive an offer of an interview.

Looks like they won't be using sub test scores!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Hello!
Does anyone know anything regarding the selection criteria used by Exeter or Plymouth?
And also, on Exeter's FAQ document regarding the ukcat it says 'Subtest scores will not be taken in to consideration.' Hope that helps :biggrin:
Reply 16

Edit: I just got an offer through clearing to study medicine at plymouth peninsula medical school, however i will still be of assistance to any of you that need help with your application, please feel free to email/fb/message me.

I thought medicine didnt enter clearing??!?!?
Reply 17
Hi guys!

Possibly applying here! Bit worried for the UKCAT though :/ does anyone know what the cut off what last year/what you needed to get an interview? What do you reckon would be good enough to get an interview?

and do they even look at your PS?

and when would you be made an A*AA offer as opposed to an AAA offer?
Reply 18
HI,

I applied to Exeter last year and go rejected without interview. Anyone know their policy on reapplicants as I could not get through to them all day!

I got A*AAa in my a-levels and 735 average UKCAT. Do they look at individual subtests as I only got 570 in verbal reasoning?

Thanks!
Reply 19

Medicine offer through clearing?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending