The Student Room Group

Social services help for next academic year

The situation is that I am in the process of getting a proper diagnosis for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and so I haven't previously applied for any funding or support yet. I relapsed in January and still haven't got a diagnosis (although they should have given me one 3 months ago).

So when I go back to university in September I will need help with chores and cooking and stuff because I have a really limited amount of energy. I was hoping that social services would be able to help with this or possibly I could hire someone using money from PIP?

The problem is that I live in a different county during the holidays where my parents look after me, so if I get an assessment and start stuff up now, my needs will change within a month or two. Do I need to wait until I am back at university in September or can I start something up now? The drive to my university takes around 2 hours and tires me considerably.

I'm just worried that if I wait until I start term again, it will take a month or two to start up and that will be a month or two of struggling.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply 1
You need to approach your local (home address) social care office to discuss this. The type of support should be available through them, or they should be able to provide more accurate advice.
Reply 2
Original post by kitkat313
The situation is that I am in the process of getting a proper diagnosis for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and so I haven't previously applied for any funding or support yet. I relapsed in January and still haven't got a diagnosis (although they should have given me one 3 months ago).

So when I go back to university in September I will need help with chores and cooking and stuff because I have a really limited amount of energy. I was hoping that social services would be able to help with this or possibly I could hire someone using money from PIP?

The problem is that I live in a different county during the holidays where my parents look after me, so if I get an assessment and start stuff up now, my needs will change within a month or two. Do I need to wait until I am back at university in September or can I start something up now? The drive to my university takes around 2 hours and tires me considerably.

I'm just worried that if I wait until I start term again, it will take a month or two to start up and that will be a month or two of struggling.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi kitkat,

Don't worry it'll get better.

As someone who is dealing with SS, I know the nightmere it can be.

BUT first, if I was you I would request a Community Care Assessment from your home soical services (I presume you're at home at the moment, we can deal with the uni side later).

Now in general social services will take your details. You have a right to a free assessment and they usually send out a lengthy questionnaire. They tend to be more physical disabilities dominated and usually require you to think in the thrid person (i.e. what help are you currently getting, from who like parent, paid carer, NHS, voluntary organisation etc).

Most councils are only funding people who have Substantial and Critical care needs. These definitions are quite medically and don't make a lot of sense from the ofset but if you google Fair Access to Care Services (FACS) criteria 2010 you should be able to find them and your council should state which "bands" it funds.

Your assessment and findings get sent to a "Panel" at the council who decide why you need the support and unfortunatly how they can try to cut through and reduce the hours you need; though not always.

Then they either usually give you the services, if you meet the council's bands or you can opt for Direct Payments which can be good and more flexible. DP is basically giving you the money for set number of hours for support. It needs to be reasonably cover the costs to get the support you need, as identified in the assessment, so the council's figures are open to debate.

If you plan to move back to uni then you would need to get in contact with the council for your uni's area and go through the process again however try to make your Social Worker make contact with the other social services and maybe your disability adviser from uni can help to bridge the two together, so it's more cusioned for all.

By the way are you getting PIP or are you thinking of applying for PIP?

Take care and don't worry to post again here for more info.

technoo
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi techno

Thank you so much for all the detailed information! I didn't realise it was so complicated! And I'm sorry to hear about your SS (I'm assuming that's Sjogren's Syndrome?), I looked up the symptoms and it looks like a pain in the ass.

I haven't applied for anything at all yet as I don't think they'd do anything without a diagnosis.

So, if I get in contact with social services, they can start the assessment and payment/care started while I'm at home, and then they reassess me when I get to university? And they can contact people ahead of time to get this sorted?

It's a bit difficult to tell if I come under moderate or substantial but I think it's more moderate unfortunately/fortunately!

Thanks again technoo!!
Reply 4
Hi techno

Thank you so much for all the detailed information! I didn't realise it was so complicated! And I'm sorry to hear about your SS (I'm assuming that's Sjogren's Syndrome?), I looked up the symptoms and it looks like a pain in the ass.

I think technoo's talking about social services.

So, if I get in contact with social services, they can start the assessment and payment/care started while I'm at home, and then they reassess me when I get to university? And they can contact people ahead of time to get this sorted?

Yes. But get it done as soon as.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student

Oh yeah! :colondollar: sorry!

It's just waiting on the diagnosis really... (NHS and their massively long waiting times)
Reply 6
Oh yeah! :colondollar: sorry!

It's just waiting on the diagnosis really... (NHS and their massively long waiting times)

Original post by OU Student

Yes. But get it done as soon as.

Woops, yep I was talking about social services, maybe should have made that clearer,

Thanks OU :smile:

technoo

Quick Reply

Latest