The Student Room Group

Deriving Cartesian equation of a rectangular hyperbola

Another conics question (sorry!!)

I understand how to derive the Cartesian equation of a hyperbola (East-West) from the definition distance1 - distance2= constant=2a

The cartesian equation is: x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1

Now, by definition a rectangualr hyperbola has eccentricty sqrt2.
Thus 2=c^2/a^2. Using c^2=b^2+a^2 identity for hyperbolas, this becomes
2= (b^2+a^2)/a^2, which gives that a=b.

This then means that the fundamental box for a standard hyperbola, becomes the fundamental square, with side 2a. Hence the asyptotes now become y=+or-x meaning that they are perpendicular to one another. This explains why a rectangular hyperbola has, by definition, perp. asymptotes.

I understand how if we make the x and y axes the asymptotes by rotation of pi/4, why get the familiar rect. hyperbola sketch. Am I right in saying that a rect. hyperbola can exist at any rotation with in the plane?

Now my question is, as rect. hyperbola are a type of hyperbola, then a rect. hyperbola Cartesian equation can surely be derived from that for a standard hyperbola:

x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1

I am told that for rectangular hyperbolas in this orientation, that xy=c^2

so my question (eventually!!) is how does one get from standard cartesian equation to xy=c^2?

I would prefer as thorough an explanation as possible.

Thank you!
watching this thread
Reply 2
I'd be keen to find an answer to this question too :smile:
Right. Okay, so you start with your East-West cartesian equation:

[br]x2a2y2b2=1[br][br]\dfrac{x^{2}}{a^{2}} - \dfrac{y^{2}}{b^{2}} = 1[br]

As you've correctly deduced, a = b and we thus get this equation:

[br]x2y2=a2[br][br]x^{2} - y^{2} = a^{2}[br]

In order to rotate from the rectangular hyperbola to the East-West hyperbola, we need to rotate by -pi/4 to get back to the (x,y) variables used above:

[br]([br]x[br]y[br])=([br]2222[br]2222[br])([br]x[br]y[br])=([br]22x+22y[br]22x+22y[br])[br][br]\begin{pmatrix}[br]x\\ [br]y[br]\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}[br]\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2} & \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\\ [br]-\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2} & \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[br]\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}[br]x'\\ [br]y'[br]\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}[br]\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'\\ [br]-\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'[br]\end{pmatrix}[br]

In other words:
[br]x=22x+22y[br]y=22x+22y[br][br]x = \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'[br]y = -\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'[br]

But these must satisfy our equation above, so we get:
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]x^{2} = \left (\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'\right )\left (\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'\right )= \dfrac{x'^{2}}{2} + x'y' + \dfrac{y'^{2}}{2}}[br]

and:

Unparseable latex formula:

[br]y^{2} = \left (-\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'\right )\left (-\dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}x' + \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{2}y'\right )= \dfrac{x'^{2}}{2} - x'y' + \dfrac{y'^{2}}{2}}[br]

So:

[br]x2y2=(x22+xy+y22)(x22xy+y22)=2xy[br]2xy=a2[br]xy=a22=c2[br][br]x^{2} - y^{2} = \left (\dfrac{x'^{2}}{2} + x'y' + \dfrac{y'^{2}}{2}\right ) - \left (\dfrac{x'^{2}}{2} - x'y' + \dfrac{y'^{2}}{2}\right ) = 2x'y'[br]\therefore 2x'y' = a^{2}[br]\therefore x'y' = \dfrac{a^{2}}{2} = c^{2}[br]

I'm sorry but I'm too tired to fill this out with words. I'll try to do that tomorrow morning. I hope this helps anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Choochoo_baloo
Another conics question (sorry!!)

Original post by 2011wc2013ct
watching this thread

Original post by Ensign123
I'd be keen to find an answer to this question too :smile:

Original post by Erebusaur
I

Erebusaur explained it already (very good LaTex skills)

I will also attach my personal conic section reference which has the same proof at the end which you may find useful

CONIC SECTION REFERENCE.pdf
What module is this?
Reply 6
Original post by harmingjuli
What module is this?

the conic sections
Original post by TeeEm
the conic sections

Sorry, which unit?
Reply 8
Original post by harmingjuli
Sorry, which unit?

some university unit on the conic sections, such as analytic geometry or something
Reply 9
Keen to know an answer to this question too :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Ensign123
Keen to know an answer to this question too :smile:

look at post 4 or 5(attachment)
Thanks a lot Erbusaur and TeeEm - a most helpful reference.

Quick Reply

Latest