The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tokyoround
Congrats on the place. Yes it's a fantastic degree, some modules are similar to the financial maths degree so you still have some options if you decide you don't want to be an actuary.

I'm glad to hear that. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TomLeigh
Hey guys. I graduated from mathematics BSc at Nottingham a year ago, went on todo a PGCE and decided against teaching after discovering actuarial science. I have a job starting as a trainee actuary in August. If you have any questions I'd also be happy to answer them :smile:

Hi, I'm about to start a physics degree (Edinburgh) and am looking at actuarial work as a potential career option. I'd like to ask a bit about your experience of the process of securing a trainee position. Did you get an internship in the firm you'll be working with, and is this the most common route in? Do you have a sense of how competitive these schemes are?

Hey everyone :smile:

I'm a student starting actuarial science at the University of Kent this September. Hope to hear from some fellow actuaries going there or anywhere, for that matter :smile:
Original post by Josh1994yetman

I'm a student starting actuarial science at the University of Kent this September. Hope to hear from some fellow actuaries going there or anywhere, for that matter :smile:

I'm starting Actuarial Science at Kent in September, nice to hear from another student :smile:
Original post by Josh1994yetman

Hey :smile:
I'll be studying actuarial science as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlmightyTiberius
I'm starting Actuarial Science at Kent in September, nice to hear from another student :smile:

I'll be studying actuarial science too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sneha.vag
I'll be studying actuarial science too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there's a clear clique forming here...

Indeed :smile:
Will be at LSE for ActSci come October!

I think so too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys. I graduated from mathematics BSc at Nottingham a year ago, went on todo a PGCE and decided against teaching after discovering actuarial science. I have a job starting as a trainee actuary in August. If you have any questions I'd also be happy to answer them :smile:

Hey.
I wanted to know what kinds of part-time jobs can I take to further my career prospects? I want to become an actuary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Enoxial
Thanks for the heads up!
Are there any more reputable firms?

Well most actuaries work for either consultancy firms, or insurance firms. Someone has posted some of the insurance firms above, and for the consultancy you can look at anything from the directory http://www.actuaries.org.uk/research-and-resources/documents/directory-actuarial-employers

It has all the main employers and lots of detailed information about them too.
Reply 72
Original post by sneha.vag
Hey.
I wanted to know what kinds of part-time jobs can I take to further my career prospects? I want to become an actuary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you, and are you at university? It's hard to say really, but any job that is customer related and requires you to work in a team is fine. One thing that might help would be a job where you can show innovation and creativity more, so working in tescos might not prove that useful if you're doing the same duties for three years.
Reply 73
Original post by JuliusDS92
Hi, I'm about to start a physics degree (Edinburgh) and am looking at actuarial work as a potential career option. I'd like to ask a bit about your experience of the process of securing a trainee position. Did you get an internship in the firm you'll be working with, and is this the most common route in? Do you have a sense of how competitive these schemes are?

Hey! I actually didn't decide to explore the route until after I had graduated my BSc Mathematics, and so no I certainly didn't do an internship. However I was told by many firms that this would not impact really on my application, suggesting that if I was a good fit the company then they would consider me with or without the internship.

You'll often hear a lot of people talk about internships not being a good boost for your application, and I somewhat agree with this statement. That being said, if you successfully get onto an internship, then there's a good chance the company will hire you after you graduate (I know this to be the case with Ernst and Young and PWC, where they filled almost all of their spots for the actuarial graduate roles with interns!)

So really applying for an internship gives you a "second chance" of getting a job in some respects, so I would definitely look into it. The application process is generally the same, with multiple stages involving interviews, assessment days and testing.

The schemes are definitely competitive, anyone could tell you that. You need to first look good on paper, but then also shine at the application and interview stages. The best thing you can do is secure a 2:1 or better yet 1st class degree, and then do your homework! A lot of what they want to know is not that you are a master at the actuarial field at the age of 21, but that you are able to research the field and get a good grounding off your own back. Same thing with a degree, they don't really care about the content of the degree as they do about knowing that you have the capacity to learn, revise, and pass exams/assignments on your own merit.
How old are you, and are you at university? It's hard to say really, but any job that is customer related and requires you to work in a team is fine. One thing that might help would be a job where you can show innovation and creativity more, so working in tescos might not prove that useful if you're doing the same duties for three years.

I'm eighteen and I will be going to university this September.
That's good advice, thank you. Are there any other specific jobs I could look into considering my age and the fact that I will soon be joining university?
Reply 75
A lot of what they want to know is not that you are a master at the actuarial field at the age of 21, but that you are able to research the field and get a good grounding off your own back.

Are you like a fully qualified actuary then? I'm guessing you are. I wanted to ask how are the exams into the profession, like the CT exams etc? Are they really hard and a nightmare? How long did it take you to finish all of them? Also regarding the above quote ^, do you mean that they are very interested in you having a good understanding of the career and what you do in it etc and like you take initiative to organise work experience? Say if you finish your actuarial science degree and then say if you change you mind about being an actuary, would it still be possible to get into other finance jobs using the degree? Is the degree kinda flexible in that sense? Or is a Maths degree better for this in keeping open options and having flexibility for jobs?

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by krisshP
Say if you finish your actuarial science degree and then say if you change you mind about being an actuary, would it still be possible to get into other finance jobs using the degree? Is the degree kinda flexible in that sense? Or is a Maths degree better for this in keeping open options and having flexibility for jobs?

Yes, I wanna know the same thing.

I am starting my A level soon. What subjects do you guys suggest I choose that will help me for my actuarial exams? Also, which is the best degree program to study? I know mathematics is really good but does it keep your options a bit open? Isn't it too specific or does it also incorporate business/etc modules in it?
Reply 77
Original post by krisshP
Are you like a fully qualified actuary then? I'm guessing you are. I wanted to ask how are the exams into the profession, like the CT exams etc? Are they really hard and a nightmare? How long did it take you to finish all of them? Also regarding the above quote ^, do you mean that they are very interested in you having a good understanding of the career and what you do in it etc and like you take initiative to organise work experience? Say if you finish your actuarial science degree and then say if you change you mind about being an actuary, would it still be possible to get into other finance jobs using the degree? Is the degree kinda flexible in that sense? Or is a Maths degree better for this in keeping open options and having flexibility for jobs?

Hey! I'm not a qualified actuary at all! I actually start on Monday, so I can't really answer many of your questions with experience however I have done a ton of reading so I can give you some advice. There's 15 examinations in total, and on average it can take anywhere from 3-7 years to fully qualify. For those working with the larger companies, they tend to push you to take exams more quickly whereas the GAD (Government Actuarial Department) says it can take up to 6 or 7 years.

Are they difficult? Yeah of course, but how hard you find them will depend on two main factors. Firstly, are you a natural and able mathematician? and secondly, are you generally an independent learner or are you used to being spoonfed information?

With my quote above, I mean that they are testing to see how proactive you are. When everyone looks good on paper, they want to find that person who takes it one step further and does their homework and research so they can show that off in the interview. Then the companies can identify that you have that initiative and aren't just a smart person who sits back on their brains and does nothing with it.

An Actuarial Science degree is definitely great if you want to become an actuary simply because it will mean getting qualified sooner - I'm definitely jealous of the others at my company that I met on induction, since they have around 7 exemptions! That said, the downside is that if you aren't able to secure a grad scheme or change your mind on your career, your prospects are reduced. How much are they reduced by? That's a subjective question, but some careers will want a much more well rounded knowledge and so will appreciate a traditional mathematics degree, while others will supply you with the training you need and will just care that you've worked your way through a Bachelor's. The fact that people can go into Audit or Tax with History degrees reinforces this point, however you wouldn't see anyone in the big investment banks with an "irrelevant" degree.
Reply 78
Hey! I'm not a qualified actuary at all! I actually start on Monday, so I can't really answer many of your questions with experience however I have done a ton of reading so I can give you some advice. There's 15 examinations in total, and on average it can take anywhere from 3-7 years to fully qualify. For those working with the larger companies, they tend to push you to take exams more quickly whereas the GAD (Government Actuarial Department) says it can take up to 6 or 7 years.

Are they difficult? Yeah of course, but how hard you find them will depend on two main factors. Firstly, are you a natural and able mathematician? and secondly, are you generally an independent learner or are you used to being spoonfed information?

With my quote above, I mean that they are testing to see how proactive you are. When everyone looks good on paper, they want to find that person who takes it one step further and does their homework and research so they can show that off in the interview. Then the companies can identify that you have that initiative and aren't just a smart person who sits back on their brains and does nothing with it.

An Actuarial Science degree is definitely great if you want to become an actuary simply because it will mean getting qualified sooner - I'm definitely jealous of the others at my company that I met on induction, since they have around 7 exemptions! That said, the downside is that if you aren't able to secure a grad scheme or change your mind on your career, your prospects are reduced. How much are they reduced by? That's a subjective question, but some careers will want a much more well rounded knowledge and so will appreciate a traditional mathematics degree, while others will supply you with the training you need and will just care that you've worked your way through a Bachelor's. The fact that people can go into Audit or Tax with History degrees reinforces this point, however you wouldn't see anyone in the big investment banks with an "irrelevant" degree.

Wow man thanks for all this information. Can I ask which a levels did you do and what university did you go ? Also. Thank you very much for this advice. :smile: I'm still thinking if I should do maths or this.
Reply 79
I did Maths Chemistry Biology ICT at AS and then dropped Biology and ICT and picked up Further Maths and self studied it in the A2 year alongside my taught Maths and Chemistry. I think this helped me in my interview as it showed the independence of my learning.

Then I went to University of Nottingham and did BSc Mathematics. They do a couple of modules which have some massive crossover with CT (stochastic modelling is a big help!)

Honestly I would do a Maths degree because wherever you go they will allow you to shape the degree towards a certain career direction, meaning you can take some advanced probability and statistics modules which would offer you 1-2 exemptions and a good foundation for any career in finance!

Quick Reply

Latest