The Student Room Group

will i be eligible?

Hi everyone,

i just want to find out if i would be eligible to apply for a maintenance grant if i am to apply.

so basically, when i started my course at coventry university, i was considered an international student and this is mainly because i was a dependant on a tier 1 visa which had had limited leave to remain in uk and no recourse to public fund. what this means is that i can't apply for any form of finance at that time. however my status had now changed. i now have indefinite leave to remain in uk which now makes me eligible to obtain any form of public fund. i understand that i still have to pay my tuition fee as an international student because i started off as an international student.
now i want to know if it is possible for me to apply for a maintenance grant giving that i am still considered an international student but with a status which says i can apply for maintenance grant.

i hope this makes sense:confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mindydebbie
Hi everyone,

i just want to find out if i would be eligible to apply for a maintenance grant if i am to apply.

so basically, when i started my course at coventry university, i was considered an international student and this is mainly because i was a dependant on a tier 1 visa which had had limited leave to remain in uk and no recourse to public fund. what this means is that i can't apply for any form of finance at that time. however my status had now changed. i now have indefinite leave to remain in uk which now makes me eligible to obtain any form of public fund. i understand that i still have to pay my tuition fee as an international student because i started off as an international student.
now i want to know if it is possible for me to apply for a maintenance grant giving that i am still considered an international student but with a status which says i can apply for maintenance grant.

I think there was something somewhere about needing to be a UK citizen for three years, not entirely sure though...
Best thing to do it phone student finance and ask :smile:
Reply 2
Hi everyone,

Reply 3
You have a very specific set of circumstances and I think you'd be better advised to ask Student Finance directly.

They have a section here, where a representative answers questions once a week:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Reply 4
will do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending