The Student Room Group

How come people can lift weights but not their wn body weight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehforum
doesn't even lift

Confused who you're referring to :frown:.
Original post by rlw31
You don't think weightlifters work on flexibility, muscular endurance, agility or speed :confused:

You think strength athletes have a low strength to body weight ratio :confused:

I wan't under the impression they do? Never seen a weightlifting competition where endurance really comes into it as they tend to do single reps and as for the agility side of it although they do require some level of balance and footwork it seems to be much more to do with learning techniques initially rather than building them up through constant training. As for speed and flexibility they don't really seem to come into it at all apart from initial stretching.

What do you mean by strength athletes? if its power lifters and the like then i would say almost exclusively they have a lower strength to body weight ratio than an athlete of similar level (so a professional lifter compared to say a professional football player). That's not a bad thing in regards to their sporting performance as weight to strength ratio is pretty meaningless to them (although it probably does come into it for weight classes ect). If we are talking about say a hard hitting heavy weight boxer then no they will probably have a pretty good strength to weight ratio however boxers tend to avoid weights especially in regards to building muscle and only really use them for high rep exercises on the side.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Darth Stewie
I wan't under the impression they do? Never seen a weightlifting competition where endurance really comes into it as they tend to do single reps and as for the agility side of it although they do require some level of balance and footwork it seems to be much more to do with learning techniques initially rather than building them up through constant training. As for speed and flexibility they don't really seem to come into it at all apart from initial stretching.

Have you seen some of the positions they have to reach to complete their lifts?

snatch1.jpg

You don't think that requires good flexibility or agility?

As for speed, do you think they slowly throw +BW over their heads?

What initial stretching?

What do you mean by strength athletes? if its power lifters and the like then i would say almost exclusively they have a lower strength to body weight ratio than an athlete of similar level (so a professional lifter compared to say a professional football player). That's not a bad thing in regards to their sporting performance as weight to strength ratio is pretty meaningless to them (although it probably does come into it for weight classes ect). If we are talking about say a hard hitting heavy weight boxer then no they will probably have a pretty good strength to weight ratio however boxers tend to avoid weights especially in regards to building muscle and only really use them for high rep exercises on the side.

Powerlifters, weightlifters, strongmen.

How are you working out the strength of a footballer?

How have you worked out that weight to strength ratio is meaningless for a strength athlete?
Original post by Sylosis
It came out as 3.3, I just rounded to 3.5 for simplicity. Isn't bad? Did you not watch the video? Ratios become pretty much useless here. 500lbs x 15 reps at 230lbs (I think that's what he is in the vid) is far more impressive than a 300lb squat x 15 reps at 150lbs even though the ratios are near the same.
I'm sure olympic lifters have weight classes so being a certain strength at a certain bodyweight does matter. Actual strong weight lifters don't struggle to do pull ups in most cases.

In regards to weightlifting and pure strength? Yes it is much more impressive. I'm not trying to say a 150 pound guy lifting 300 is stronger than a guy lifting 230 pounds at 500 pounds. For weight lifting bothering about your strength to body ratio is stupid, it wasn't designed to take specialized sports like weightlifting into account and i'm sure there are many professional weight lifters who can do pull ups however they will struggle considerably more than athletes from other professions which is why the original posters experience of well built people in her gym being unable to do pull ups while her less muscly self could do them came about. Welterweight fighters for instance tend to excel at pull ups and have known a few armatures who could do 40+ i can't believe for a second that any professional weightlifter could match that, i'm happy to be proved wrong but i can't see it happening.
The ratios he posted are wrong for a start, 3.5 x 242 does not equal 815. The second video was posted over a month after the first, his weight has probably changed in that time.

But If we work off the second videos weight and assume he was the same when he did the squats that would put his lower body index at 2.1, which in fairness isn't bad and only 0.4 off 2.5:1 ratio which is considered to be good however this is without factoring in his upper body.

Whether or not you think strength to weight ratios are stupid is irrelevant, for weightlifters then yes they are stupid and you shouldn't pay attention to them however in response to the original question of why weight lifters struggle to do pull ups the strength to body weight ratio helps to highlight the cause,

A 500x15 squat isn't bad. In fact it's almost good! Heard it here first you guys.
Reply 25
In regards to weightlifting and pure strength? Yes it is much more impressive. I'm not trying to say a 150 pound guy lifting 300 is stronger than a guy lifting 230 pounds at 500 pounds. For weight lifting bothering about your strength to body ratio is stupid, it wasn't designed to take specialized sports like weightlifting into account and i'm sure there are many professional weight lifters who can do pull ups however they will struggle considerably more than athletes from other professions which is why the original posters experience of well built people in her gym being unable to do pull ups while her less muscly self could do them came about. Welterweight fighters for instance tend to excel at pull ups and have known a few armatures who could do 40+ i can't believe for a second that any professional weightlifter could match that, i'm happy to be proved wrong but i can't see it happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaiYRCEwAXQ

30 pull ups after 600lb deadlift x 9 (can see how that would be taxing perhaps cut him short of 10 reps).
Thank you and goodday sir.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by The Troll Toll
A 500x15 squat isn't bad. In fact it's almost good! Heard it here first you guys.

Will rep on RC.. If such a thing exists on this forum.
-

Wat. Of course they care about their strength to body ratio?

btw,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8jh7lw0cVqw
Reply 28
Original post by nopenopenope
Wat. Of course they care about their strength to body ratio?

btw,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8jh7lw0cVqw

CELL -TECH IN THIS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!111
(notsrs)
(semisrs)

(srs)
Reply 29
Original post by Sylosis
CELL -TECH IN THIS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!111
(notsrs)
(semisrs)

(srs)

As natty as rob riches

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by ZRO
As natty as rob riches

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rob Riches= As natty as Craze = as natty as all year round tren+some decca

lel'd
Original post by Sylosis
-

They're all on datdercelltech brah, still impressive as fuark though.

(srs)
Reply 32
Original post by nopenopenope
lel'd

They're all on datdercelltech brah, still impressive as fuark though.

(srs)

I know man I'm just kidding. I've come to accept any athletic hero of mine is a filthy no good rotten cell-techer and I LOVE IT.
Reply 33
U guys reckon the whole Craze thing was an attempt to cover up his actual steroid use? everyone was saying it was anavar at first
Reply 34
Original post by Sylosis
I know man I'm just kidding. I've come to accept any athletic hero of mine is a filthy no good rotten cell-techer and I LOVE IT.

I believe Chris Jones is natty srs no homo.
Original post by bertstare
U guys reckon the whole Craze thing was an attempt to cover up his actual steroid use? everyone was saying it was anavar at first

Yeah i think so, I mean he claimed natty for years, so his reputation was on the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

I want to believe that it wasn't, but it probably was.
Original post by rlw31
Have you seen some of the positions they have to reach to complete their lifts?

snatch1.jpg

You don't think that requires good flexibility or agility?

Compared to:

No, i'm guessing you lift weights? Assuming you don't do any training for other sports how much time do you honestly spend running agility drills? Not trying to insult you or anything like that, lifting requires many things agility isn't one of them.

As for speed, do you think they slowly throw +BW over their heads?

That's strength not speed, well i suppose it could be considered speed in the sense of applying all their force quickly however that has much more to do with standing, breathing and practicing properly.

What initial stretching?

Warm up stretching such as Joint Rotations or Lunges.

Powerlifters, weightlifters, strongmen.

How are you working out the strength of a footballer?

Strength to weight ratio is worked out by determining the maximum amount of weight you can lift at one time (squats for lower body, bench press for upper body), you then divide this by your body weight which gives you your upper and lower ratio at which point you use the average of the two. That's only a rough estimation to get an accurate result you have to use a body composition pod.

How have you worked out that weight to strength ratio is meaningless for a strength athlete?

Because the whole concept of strength to weight ratio is based around excess weight being a problem, for strength athletes it isn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37

Is steroid discussion permitted on this forum?
Reply 38
Original post by Sylosis

Nope, I got 5 points for saying eat cl... Tre.. Hard lul

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Sylosis

Well this isn't really specific steroid discussion, just whether he was found to be not natural and the stimulant was used to cover it up

Quick Reply

Latest