The Student Room Group

Pakistani teenager gives a speech at the U.N.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by de_monies
Erm this is not true, especially in wealthier areas of Pakistan. Let's say the people I know in Pakistan are prepared to spend money on both their sons AND daughters (especially their daughters these days) to be educated

As much as I criticise Pakistan, Pakistan has come on quite a lot in the past few years, especially in the last 5

Well I'm pleased to hear that Pakistan is gradually reforming but for women to achieve equality Pakistanis need to ditch Islam and replace it with an ideology that is more conducive to wome's rights, like Western atheism/christianity for example. But as there's a 0% chance of this happening I'm afraid incidents like the one that sparked this thread are going to continue for the foreseeable future.
Original post by Blueray2
You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today! (was going to pos rep you :biggrin: )
Not gonna lie, but looking at hot girls whilst trying to pray is a huge distraction, well done on the separating them out mosque.
But their should be slight more integration so they don't seem alien, but meh thats more their parents fault.

Thank you for actually ruminating upon the valid rationalisations instead of simply dismissing them.We are not completed estranged from the world as the media have led you to believe.We interact with men at work, and wherever else necessary without becoming overly intimate.A boy and a girl cannot be friends.I think the myriad of Hollywood movies has proven this point.
Reply 42
I saw part of her speech on the news. She was amazing. So inspirational. She had so much courage to keep fighting for what she believed in no matter what. I don't think many teenage girls would be able to do such a strong thing, especially given what has happened to her before.
Reply 43
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
I saw part of her speech on the news. She was amazing. So inspirational. She had so much courage to keep fighting for what she believed in no matter what. I don't think many teenage girls would be able to do such a strong thing, especially given what has happened to her before.

Very true. The unwavering support of her family and good wishes from all over the world must have helped her be strong.

She sounds so mature for a 16 year old though. :smile:
Original post by chefdave
Right...let me remind you that this thread is about the U.N speech made by a Pakistani schoolgirl who was shot in the face by Islamists for the 'crime' of promoting "Western thinking" in relation to women's rights. This is backed up by passages from the Qur'an which are readily available and openly misogynistic as I've already proven, the only fool around here is you for ignoring all the evidence and insisting that Islam is a bastion of equality even when women are routinely subjugated in Islamic countries.

[Hajj 22:46] So have they not travelled in the land, to have hearts with which to understand and ears to hear with? So it is not the eyes that are blind, but it is the hearts in the bosoms, that are blind.
There's really no point in arguing with you.You infer whatever you want to infer,ignore anything which contradicts your views on Islam as misogynistic.Just because your normal isn't our normal you automatically conclude that we have been stripped of our rights.
Reply 45
As Pakistan is an Islamic country I have serious reservations about her ability to reform and work for the benefit of all citizens, rather than just Islamic men. Islam and women's rights just aren't compatible and where the two clash under Islam the Qur'an must take precedent. It's as simple as that.

Edit: I love the way my factual statement is being negged even though this girl is giving a UN speech because was she was shot in the face by a group of Islamists who are vehemently opposed to female education. Head in the sand much?

Hurr Durr Turkey is a relatively Liberal Islamic Republic (bar recent events on a very few issues) Hurr Durr.
Reply 46
Original post by Ankabout
Very true. The unwavering support of her family and good wishes from all over the world must have helped her be strong.

She sounds so mature for a 16 year old though. :smile:

Yeah it's nice that so many people have given her support over the whole thing. Finally people are listening.

And yeah she sounds like she has the wisdom of a 50 year old in the body and mind of a 16 year old.
Reply 47
Original post by Ornlu
Hurr Durr Turkey is a relatively Liberal Islamic Republic (bar recent events on a very few issues) Hurr Durr.

Hurr Durr that's only because it's remained a relatively secular state and managed to keep the political forces of Islam at bay Hurr Durr
Reply 48
Hurr Durr that's only because it's remained a relatively secular state and managed to keep the political forces of Islam at bay Hurr Durr

It depends on one's interpretation of the Qu'ran as to how liberal the "political forces of Islam" are. In some respects they are liberal due to secularism; however it is not to mean that it ignores the political teachings of the Qu'ran entirely, which is subjective... Hurr Durr :rolleyes:
Reply 49
Well I'm pleased to hear that Pakistan is gradually reforming but for women to achieve equality Pakistanis need to ditch Islam and replace it with an ideology that is more conducive to wome's rights, like Western atheism/christianity for example. But as there's a 0% chance of this happening I'm afraid incidents like the one that sparked this thread are going to continue for the foreseeable future.

I think YOU need to ditch your hating and your foul attitude.
Reply 50
Original post by Boqore
I think YOU need to ditch your hating and your foul attitude.

Such ignorance.

Why should I love a religion that is responsible for the near fatal shooting of a Pakistani teenager?

Once Islam reforms and recognises the rights of women/homosexuals/non-muslims etc etc I'll gladly reconsider my position and not be so critical, but all the time incidents like this are occuring I'm afraid I'll have to continue to condemn it. I take it you're happy to associate yourself with a group of people who openly and violently reject gender equality then? To me that's hateful against women and it's a foul attitude I won't allow to go unchallenged on this forum.
Reply 51

Once Islam reforms

I think you should be more concerned about reforming your lack of intelligence and racism;

Original post by Al-Mudaari
Name and ethnicity give no indication whether someone is British Born or not. /facepalm

His presence is still a product of multiculturalism, even if he happens to be 2nd/3rd generation. If he is 2nd/3rd generation as you suggest why does he still have an Arabic name? This indicates an unwillingness to integrate into British society (which is part and parcel of multicultural philosophy) so it's a bit lame to suggest this guy is British through and through.
As Pakistan is an Islamic country I have serious reservations about her ability to reform and work for the benefit of all citizens, rather than just Islamic men. Islam and women's rights just aren't compatible and where the two clash under Islam the Qur'an must take precedent. It's as simple as that.

Edit: I love the way my factual statement is being negged even though this girl is giving a UN speech because was she was shot in the face by a group of Islamists who are vehemently opposed to female education. Head in the sand much?

This is true from what I understand and I have no idea you have so many negs. It is pointless and naive to think that Pakistan can ever have gender equality to the same level we enjoy here.

I dislike the notion that this girl is standing up for all women, she's not even standing up for all Pakistani women.Of course education should be a human right but I don't think making speeches to the UN is actually going to ensure education for everyone in Pakistan.
seems like some people on here are more bothered about whose read the quran properly rather than focusing on this beautiful brave young girl! Such an inspiration and admire her determination and strength so much. Just listening to the way she speaks you can tell how clever this girl is. Everyone should be entitled to an education and a chance in life. However the reality is I cant quite believe just yet that any time soon this will change, unfortunately the Taliban are there to stay for good, its the growth of the extremists that is the huge concern. Like this girl said, they try to use Islam as an excuse for their actions though we all know the Taliban are not real Muslims.
Reply 54
Original post by kate_louise21
seems like some people on here are more bothered about whose read the quran properly rather than focusing on this beautiful brave young girl! Such an inspiration and admire her determination and strength so much. Just listening to the way she speaks you can tell how clever this girl is. Everyone should be entitled to an education and a chance in life. However the reality is I cant quite believe just yet that any time soon this will change, unfortunately the Taliban are there to stay for good, its the growth of the extremists that is the huge concern. Like this girl said, they try to use Islam as an excuse for their actions though we all know the Taliban are not real Muslims.

True. People should at least appreciate her effort. At least she's standing up for something.
Reply 55
Islam says that education is important for both females and men. It makes it a very important aspect of ones life. Unfortunately the Taliban do not understand their own religion and their own Prophet pbuh.

Prophet Muhammad Pbuh Said All These Things:

- To acquire knowledge is binding upon all Muslims, whether male or female.

- The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr.

- He who travels in the search of knowledge, to him God shows the way of Paradise.Acquire knowledge, because he who acquires it, in the way of the Lord, performs an act of piety; who speaks of it praises the Lord; who seeks it, adores God, who dispenses instruction in it, bestows alms; and who imparts it to its fitting objects, performs an act of devotion to God. Knowledge enables its possessor to distinguish what is forbidden from what is not; lights the way to Heaven; it is our friend in the desert, our companion in solitude, our companion, when bereft of riends; it guides us to happiness; it sustains us in misery; it is our ornament in the company of friends; it serves as an armor against our enemies. With knowledge the creatures of Allah rises to the heights of goodness and to noble position, associates with the sovereigns in this world and attains the perfection of happiness in the next.

- Go in quest of knowledge even unto China.

- Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave.

-
To spend more time in learning is better than spending more time praying; the support of religion is abstinence. It is better to teach knowledge one hour in the night than to pray all night.

- Knowledge is my companion, it is with me wherever I go. My heart is its container, not the bookshelf.

There Are Many More....
Reply 56
Original post by Kutta
Islam says that education is important for both females and men. It makes it a very important aspect of ones life. Unfortunately the Taliban do not understand their own religion and their own Prophet pbuh.

Prophet Muhammad Pbuh Said All These Things:

- To acquire knowledge is binding upon all Muslims, whether male or female.

- The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr.

- He who travels in the search of knowledge, to him God shows the way of Paradise.Acquire knowledge, because he who acquires it, in the way of the Lord, performs an act of piety; who speaks of it praises the Lord; who seeks it, adores God, who dispenses instruction in it, bestows alms; and who imparts it to its fitting objects, performs an act of devotion to God. Knowledge enables its possessor to distinguish what is forbidden from what is not; lights the way to Heaven; it is our friend in the desert, our companion in solitude, our companion, when bereft of riends; it guides us to happiness; it sustains us in misery; it is our ornament in the company of friends; it serves as an armor against our enemies. With knowledge the creatures of Allah rises to the heights of goodness and to noble position, associates with the sovereigns in this world and attains the perfection of happiness in the next.

- Go in quest of knowledge even unto China.

- Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave.

-
To spend more time in learning is better than spending more time praying; the support of religion is abstinence. It is better to teach knowledge one hour in the night than to pray all night.

- Knowledge is my companion, it is with me wherever I go. My heart is its container, not the bookshelf.

There Are Many More....

Women are treated like animals wherever Islam infests and the world knows it. Are you telling me all these Muslims don't understand their religion? If so, that is rather telling.
Reply 57
Original post by Barksy
Women are treated like animals wherever Islam infests and the world knows it. Are you telling me all these Muslims don't understand their religion? If so, that is rather telling.

I am a Pakistani woman and I am not treated like an animal. And yes it's true that my country does not know Islam so well. I know many Muslims who don't pray or read the Quran. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Ankabout
I am a Pakistani woman and I am not treated like an animal. And yes it's true that my country does not know Islam so well. I know many Muslims who don't pray or read the Quran. :smile:

Could Not Help It:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fuxN4Bb3DA

:wink:
Reply 59

Thank you for sharing. Ah the golden age of Pakistani cricket... Imran Khan supports Malala too right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending