The Student Room Group

Pets at Home Group Interview

Can someone help me out?

I've been offered a group interview at Pets at Home in 3 weeks time.

Can someone tell me what happens at a group interview and would I be ok despite being so nervous?

I'd really like this job. But I've never been to a group interview before and don't know what to expect.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EvilWaffleS
Can someone help me out?

I've been offered a group interview at Pets at Home in 3 weeks time.

Can someone tell me what happens at a group interview and would I be ok despite being so nervous?

I'd really like this job. But I've never been to a group interview before and don't know what to expect.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Helloo!! I have been working at my local Pets at Home for about a year now, so I have been through this process too. You have nothing to be nervous about, the group interview is intended to be very informal, casual and fun. I will run you through what happened at my group interview.

Upon arrival there were four of us, and we firstly introduced ourselves and told eachother about any pets we had (I have a dog). Afterwards, we were introduced to some colleagues, and they ran us through some of the job description, hours, pay, etc. After this, we got a group task - our task was to decorate an empty childrens' fish tank (with gravel, ornaments, plants, whatever from the shop floor. You do not need to know anything to do with fish although it may help, I had never previously owned fish). This part is really to show your skills working in a team, and apparently I was chosen at this point as I had 'leadership skills', basically no one had spoken so I said something like "right so who wants to do what? do you two want to choose the ornaments and we will create a name for the tank?" It's about confidence to speak and be involved.

After this we were individually interviewed (a very short interview just chatting about why you'd like this job, why you'd be good, just chat). We were told that there were 2 jobs available, and that the two of us would later receive a phone call to then come back to the shop for a second longer (half an hour) interview and job trial. Apparently though once you have reached this point the job is basically yours. The trial really isn't a trial, it is just being shown how to work the till and shown around the shop. The interview was more formal but also still very chatty and laid-back. For the trial I wore a plain white t-shirt and black trousers. So that really is the entire process!

It is a great job in all honesty, the usual shop job responsibilities but with an added twist, you really do learn a lot and it is not as boring as many usual shop jobs. Best of luck and I am open to any more questions if you wish :biggrin:
Reply 2
Ignore the above poster. The purpose of a group interview at pets at home is to determine who is the best pet trainer. You must bring all of your pets and pit them against the pets of the other members in a deadly battle. The person with the largest pets won't necessarily win all the time. For example, a lvl 50 rabbit can easily beat a lvl 21 horse and so on and so forth. The winner will receive a badge which will declare them the master of that particular Pets at Home.
Reply 3
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Helloo!! I have been working at my local Pets at Home for about a year now, so I have been through this process too. You have nothing to be nervous about, the group interview is intended to be very informal, casual and fun. I will run you through what happened at my group interview.

Upon arrival there were four of us, and we firstly introduced ourselves and told eachother about any pets we had (I have a dog). Afterwards, we were introduced to some colleagues, and they ran us through some of the job description, hours, pay, etc. After this, we got a group task - our task was to decorate an empty childrens' fish tank (with gravel, ornaments, plants, whatever from the shop floor. You do not need to know anything to do with fish although it may help, I had never previously owned fish). This part is really to show your skills working in a team, and apparently I was chosen at this point as I had 'leadership skills', basically no one had spoken so I said something like "right so who wants to do what? do you two want to choose the ornaments and we will create a name for the tank?" It's about confidence to speak and be involved.

After this we were individually interviewed (a very short interview just chatting about why you'd like this job, why you'd be good, just chat). We were told that there were 2 jobs available, and that the two of us would later receive a phone call to then come back to the shop for a second longer (half an hour) interview and job trial. Apparently though once you have reached this point the job is basically yours. The trial really isn't a trial, it is just being shown how to work the till and shown around the shop. The interview was more formal but also still very chatty and laid-back. For the trial I wore a plain white t-shirt and black trousers. So that really is the entire process!

It is a great job in all honesty, the usual shop job responsibilities but with an added twist, you really do learn a lot and it is not as boring as many usual shop jobs. Best of luck and I am open to any more questions if you wish :biggrin:

Oh wow! Thank you so much!

I applied for this job quite a while ago, and was a bit shocked to see the email in my inbox, just wish the interview was a bit closer (I applied the end of June I think) :biggrin:

Are there any other skills they look for? I got a qualification from my university for leadership skills and general business stuff because I do some work with the volunteering committee.

And I have quite a few pets, they might want to let other people go first :tongue:

I'm glad I don't have to know anything about fish for the tank task and it's more focused on my skills. I'm good with most animals, just fish are not quite my forte.

Are there any other tips you could give me to help me prepare?

And how long was it between your group interview and the call for the longer interview?
Oh wow! Thank you so much!

I applied for this job quite a while ago, and was a bit shocked to see the email in my inbox, just wish the interview was a bit closer (I applied the end of June I think) :biggrin:

Are there any other skills they look for? I got a qualification from my university for leadership skills and general business stuff because I do some work with the volunteering committee.

And I have quite a few pets, they might want to let other people go first :tongue:

I'm glad I don't have to know anything about fish for the tank task and it's more focused on my skills. I'm good with most animals, just fish are not quite my forte.

Are there any other tips you could give me to help me prepare?

And how long was it between your group interview and the call for the longer interview?

1. The other skills are really the general skills that shops and anywhere else really look for, like friendly, willing to learn new things, ability to improve, the usual. Your qualifications will be good to bring up in the interview process :smile:

2. It's fine that you are not sure of fish because all of this is completely taught to you through training booklets and just working in the shop anyway.

3. An extra preparation tip maybe for the interview is that some places do like to ask the question of how much you know about the company, so I brushed up on this (although I was not asked about it, it can be good to know). Also it can be good to prepare an asnwer beforehand to the annoying question 'tell me something interesting about yourself' as it can be awful to be stuck with no reply haha or no decent reply.

4. The time between the process and call was literally like under an hour, they said we would be contacted that evening. I didn't have my phone switched on but I received a voice mail saying I was asked back.
This just made me really want to work at pets at home omg. Going to check the website now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wifiprincess
This just made me really want to work at pets at home omg. Going to check the website now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeh I had been applying for a few jobs at the time of applying to Pets at Home such as McDonald's, B&Q etc but I kept telling my friends and mum that I reeeallly wanted to work in Pets at Home and I didn't think I'd get the job haha. It was the only job that the environment seemed nice, I actually had an interest in what they were selling etc, and they had animals!
Haha yeh I had been applying for a few jobs at the time of applying to Pets at Home such as McDonald's, B&Q etc but I kept telling my friends and mum that I reeeallly wanted to work in Pets at Home and I didn't think I'd get the job haha. It was the only job that the environment seemed nice, I actually had an interest in what they were selling etc, and they had animals!

Sounds perfect, they don't have any vacancies near me at the moment :frown: good luck though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you for the help!!

I'm really excited now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
1. The other skills are really the general skills that shops and anywhere else really look for, like friendly, willing to learn new things, ability to improve, the usual. Your qualifications will be good to bring up in the interview process :smile:

2. It's fine that you are not sure of fish because all of this is completely taught to you through training booklets and just working in the shop anyway.

3. An extra preparation tip maybe for the interview is that some places do like to ask the question of how much you know about the company, so I brushed up on this (although I was not asked about it, it can be good to know). Also it can be good to prepare an asnwer beforehand to the annoying question 'tell me something interesting about yourself' as it can be awful to be stuck with no reply haha or no decent reply.

4. The time between the process and call was literally like under an hour, they said we would be contacted that evening. I didn't have my phone switched on but I received a voice mail saying I was asked back.

Oh whilst I remember, did you interview a team member? As it's on my email I have to. And if you did, what did you ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh whilst I remember, did you interview a team member? As it's on my email I have to. And if you did, what did you ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm I can't actually remember haha, I remember the team member being there but I can't remember what I asked, it was probably some question like the funniest moment when working with animals. I think for this bit it is better to show some personality and thinking outside of the box, because other people will ask the exact same boring question of "do you like your job". You could ask how working at Pets at Home has changed/affected/inspired them, how much working there has taught them, things like that.
Reply 11
Umm I can't actually remember haha, I remember the team member being there but I can't remember what I asked, it was probably some question like the funniest moment when working with animals. I think for this bit it is better to show some personality and thinking outside of the box, because other people will ask the exact same boring question of "do you like your job". You could ask how working at Pets at Home has changed/affected/inspired them, how much working there has taught them, things like that.

Alright, thanks for the help!

I was sat there this morning wondering "What do I ask them for like 5 minutes?" I still have a week or two to plan what I can ask :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by CD2112
Ignore the above poster. The purpose of a group interview at pets at home is to determine who is the best pet trainer. You must bring all of your pets and pit them against the pets of the other members in a deadly battle. The person with the largest pets won't necessarily win all the time. For example, a lvl 50 rabbit can easily beat a lvl 21 horse and so on and so forth. The winner will receive a badge which will declare them the master of that particular Pets at Home.

Why would anyone neg this? I found it very amusing.
Reply 13

Oh and while I remember, since it's casual, would black jeans and a printed top be ok? Or would black trousers and a plain top (kinda more smart casual) be more appropriate?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions and thank you so much for all the help :biggrin:
Oh and while I remember, since it's casual, would black jeans and a printed top be ok? Or would black trousers and a plain top (kinda more smart casual) be more appropriate?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions and thank you so much for all the help :biggrin:

Well what I wore was black skinny jeans and this top -

http://www.fashion-era.com/images/2012-spring-trends-fashions/white-peter-pan-collar-blue-top.jpg
Reply 15

hello, I have a group interview at pets at home this week and i wondered how long it last and also and also this might seem like a stupid question but when you are introducing yourself do are you just saying your name and pets name or do you also say your interests etc
Reply 16
Original post by RHT123
hello, I have a group interview at pets at home this week and i wondered how long it last and also and also this might seem like a stupid question but when you are introducing yourself do are you just saying your name and pets name or do you also say your interests etc

I'm sure they would like to know more about you other than your name and pet's name :wink:
Original post by RHT123

Heya well actually we were told to "introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your pets" so it really was like we said who we were, told everyone what pets we had and then add a little bit about them, like I said how my dog is afraid of like everything - hair dryer, Hoover etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
ok thanks alot :smile:, im quite nervous because i have never been to a group interview before
Reply 19
Original post by RHT123

Good luck! (If you've not already had the interview :smile: )

Let us all know how you get on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending